Achaean Raves

Comments

• Thanks Darkenstar!! You're doing awesome. From your sermon, I would've had no idea you were A Real Newb. I'm glad you chose Mhaldor and are having a good time!
  • edited October 2017
    Speaking of in-game innovation, I once wrote an entire wand dueling system for Imperian where referees could fire up a script and automate scoring.

Invoking one of three elemental powers with the spoken word (mechanical limiter with speech lockout) and one of three demon-lords represented by the wand-type gave 9 combinations for an intense rock-paper-scissor game that was not simply arbitrary.

The first twist was that one demon-lord granted the ability to invoke 2 powers, with multiplicative gain/loss.

The kicker was that another demon-lord could reverse the opposition's selected element.

Designing was difficult.
    1. The game had to be mechanically limited, hence the use of a 'say' delimiter
    2. The game had to be more than just simple rock-paper-scissors, leading to the element * type design
    3. The game had to expand external revenue: utilization of 'types' of wands gave freedom to wand designers to design and sell 'types' granting nominal utility to a previously strictly 'roleplay' device
    4. Refereeing had to be automated given the speed of interactions: the referee code alone was over 400 lines
    5. Rules simple enough for people to learn the basics in 2 minutes.

Unfortunately too tricky for most people to code an 'offensive' system for.

Good luck, @Jurixe.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• edited October 2017
    Dochitha said:
    Looks fun. What are the rules?
    Artifacts aren't a factor in winning/losing. ;)
  • That's a lie. If you buy me artefacts I will absolutely let you win, 100% of the time. 
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    uncitizen Reyson

city enemy Reyson Cheating scrub who didn't share the spoils.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Artefact upgrade power imaginary_friend confirm
  • -log in, post on clans, get accosted with people for hours seeing if I'm ok-

I love you guys, even peeps who've barely, if ever, interacted with me have sent me messages of support and such. It's definitely a massive uplifting feeling after having a lot of down days, I can't convey how much I appreciate it.
  • Daeir said:
    It highlights the absolute magnificence of the Chaos centered conflict and really paints an incredibly vivid description of just how horrifying the fight is outside of the Prime.
    While I definitely agree that getting events like this is awesome, this sentence is why I'm really conflicted about the whole thing.  I'm glad that Targ is getting great events with solid writing exploring their antagonist's realm, but where's the Chaos faction's involvement?  I get that it's a Targ-centered event, but why can they use Chaos in their writing/events without Ashtan being given the opportunity to get involved at all?

I can't really decide how I feel about that.

• edited October 2017
    I'm almost certain Ashtan will be involved.  I don't think we're done yet.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited October 2017
    I'm not really certain what the next stage is here but I'm reasonably confident that its going to tie into this really big unveiling that Makarios/Nicola promised us before the end of 2017. And that, undoubtedly, will involve all factions.

Like Torinn said, I highly doubt this is over or that Ashtan will be unable to play its role.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I think Torinn and Antidas are right. If Cyrene was minorly involved (in comparison to what Targ saw today) by having our streets set aflame and some abominations running around I am pretty sure Ashtan will get their chance in a bigger way, especially since chaos related things did come through and is what they were fighting wherever they were. I can't imagine this storyline continuing without Ashtan at some point, this seems like really good conflict for both of your cities.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited October 2017
    Penwize said:
    Daeir said:
    It highlights the absolute magnificence of the Chaos centered conflict and really paints an incredibly vivid description of just how horrifying the fight is outside of the Prime.
    While I definitely agree that getting events like this is awesome, this sentence is why I'm really conflicted about the whole thing.  I'm glad that Targ is getting great events with solid writing exploring their antagonist's realm, but where's the Chaos faction's involvement?  I get that it's a Targ-centered event, but why can they use Chaos in their writing/events without Ashtan being given the opportunity to get involved at all?

I can't really decide how I feel about that.

I've decided how I feel about it: Disappointed.

Ashtan has been waiting for a very long time for something to unify us toward our new purpose. Watching this event with chaotic beings unfold without any knowledge of what was transpiring or any connection to it was frustrating and disheartening. 

I'm always glad when RP happens and thrilled you guys had fun with it, but I hope whatever comes of it takes that general discouragement into account. We want -our- Chaos, y'all!
  • Also there is the news post about the whole thing with very Tsol'teth-esque grammar. Something tells me we are very definitely not done with this event.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Ashtan doesn't have a monopoly on Chaos, the same way Targossas doesn't have a monopoly on Righteous Fire. There were beings there wielding flames and stuff that we can't do.

This event is far from over. The Chaos stuff that was used in this event doesn't seem to have anything to do with Ashtan-brand of Chaos at all, so far. I'm sure it will tie back to you guys when the time is right. There wasn't any real need to, for this, imo. Think expectations should be a bit tempered there.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Ashtan doesn't have a monopoly on Chaos, the same way Targossas doesn't have a monopoly on Righteous Fire. There were beings there wielding flames and stuff that we can't do.

This event is far from over. The Chaos stuff that was used in this event doesn't seem to have anything to do with Ashtan-brand of Chaos at all, so far. I'm sure it will tie back to you guys when the time is right. There wasn't any real need to, for this, imo. Think expectations should be a bit tempered there.
    Um, Ashtan brand of Chaos? What exactly what would that be?
  • Truax said:
    Atalkez said:
    Ashtan doesn't have a monopoly on Chaos, the same way Targossas doesn't have a monopoly on Righteous Fire. There were beings there wielding flames and stuff that we can't do.

Um, Ashtan brand of Chaos? What exactly what would that be?

I don't think he phrased that well. But this was a Caefir thing where we opened a portal to the outer planes. Unless Ashtan, likewise, started opening portals out there, they wouldn't have any reason to be involved IG in that. It's a very Caefir thing.

It's not unusual for order events for any order to be confined largely to that order, either. Aegis holds cool things for Aegeans too.

Obviously everything would be infinitely cooler with more Ashtan v Targossas conflict though (beyond just pk).
  • I think the objection is that any events related to Chaos or tangentially to Ashtan tend to be Targ events lately. The destruction of the room in Ashtan was pretty unilateral, which left a sour taste in Ashtan's mouth, and in this case you had a guy going crazy cleansing Chaos who somehow ignored the city the occultists are from.

Since the event isn't over yet, it's likely that it won't remain that way! But I can understand why Ashtani would be kind iffy on it.
  • edited October 2017
    Sure, but I just mean... 

They're Deucalion order events. Obviously they focus on Deucalion's order.

All of the "Chaos events" you're referring to were planned by Deucalion or his order and thus focus on that side. I'm pretty sure any Ashtan involvement has to come from Ashtan. It's not that Ashtan can't do its own things. It's just that Deucalion, the Targ patron, and the Caefir, aren't going to plan out actions for Ashtan to take, and Ashtan doesn't really seem to initiate things itself.

There were tons of Chaos centric events back when people like Babel, Ourania, Flair, Imyrr, etc. created them.

• Idk, it does seem weird. Like I couldn't get a room added to the Black Lotus Househall because there had to be an active Twilight to check off on the description because it might somehow not be in agreement with some faction lore somewhere, but you get to design a whole event around an opposing city's essence without their input at all?
  • edited October 2017
    It stops being just  a Deucalion event once you're involving people from outside Deucalion's order to the level of deleting a part of their city.

This event also seems more like a world thing than a Deuc only thing. Which is also why it's probably best to not worry yet, I'm sure, as you said, Ashtan will get something.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Every time you eat a cupcake, or give someone a snuggle, or make a pun -- without first asking for Cyrene's input -- is frankly a huge slap in our face.
  • Kiet said:
    It stops being just  a Deucalion event once you're involving people from outside Deucalion's order to the level of deleting a part of their city.

It does in the sense that we're giving another faction something to work with, react to, etc. That doesn't make it our jobs to somehow cause them to react to it though.

And I know you're not saying it's our job, but what I don't understand is whose job people believe it is, if not the Ashtani themselves. Because someone is being criticized here by Ashtani for the lack of Ashtani involvement.

If I was Ashtani, I'd be involved in these events. The fact that they're broadcasted to the world is itself an invitation. All you have to do is get out there and do things.

Maybe there will be an express "push" from the Chaos Lords at some point and Ashtan will get what they want. Maybe there won't. I don't really understand the complaints though. I'd be ecstatic if Ashtan was doing events like this because it gives me something to discuss with other Targossians, react to, scheme around, etc.

Ultimately all that's happening is a story is unfolding, and that adds something to every side. People should enjoy it. Chaos isn't even "losing" this time, arguably. Ashtan could celebrate the losses the Bloodsworn's army suffered, interfere with the Targossians' efforts, etc.

I don't know the details of Ashtan's internal affairs, so I understand if there's frustration there waiting for things, but I guess I'm just saying if the Chaos Court won't talk to you, don't wait for them. Just do your own thing.

• Tysandr said:
    And us Australians get to read about it at lunch break.
    And us travelers in the US get to hear it from both the Aissies and the Europeans.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited October 2017
    Edit: nvm
  • Farrah said:
    Kiet said:

It does in the sense that we're giving another faction something to work with, react to, etc. That doesn't make it our jobs to somehow cause them to react to it though.

And I know you're not saying it's our job, but what I don't understand is whose job people believe it is, if not the Ashtani themselves. Because someone is being criticized here by Ashtani for the lack of Ashtani involvement.

If I was Ashtani, I'd be involved in these events. The fact that they're broadcasted to the world is itself an invitation. All you have to do is get out there and do things.

Maybe there will be an express "push" from the Chaos Lords at some point and Ashtan will get what they want. Maybe there won't. I don't really understand the complaints though. I'd be ecstatic if Ashtan was doing events like this because it gives me something to discuss with other Targossians, react to, scheme around, etc.

Ultimately all that's happening is a story is unfolding, and that adds something to every side. People should enjoy it. Chaos isn't even "losing" this time, arguably. Ashtan could celebrate the losses the Bloodsworn's army suffered, interfere with the Targossians' efforts, etc.

I don't know the details of Ashtan's internal affairs, so I understand if there's frustration there waiting for things, but I guess I'm just saying if the Chaos Court won't talk to you, don't wait for them. Just do your own thing.

I don't particularly think it's anyone's fault, I just understand why they might feel frustrated.