Ask Your Producers: September 2016

1234568»

Comments

• edited September 2016
    I think just lower the thresholds, but don't scale it to online citizens. You don't want to punish a city for having low citizen numbers.

Edit: It would also potentially promote raiding and tank blowing at times people know there are low citizen numbers. Maybe have it slightly inversely affect it? The more citizens online it is slightly easier to power the tank? Promote defending.
  • Anedhel said:
    Would it be super complicated to tie tank detonation thresholds to the current population in a given City while the kills are being recorded for feeding the tank? As in, a tank vs. a City with, say, 6 people in it, on-plane ('cuz they shouldn't count if they're on a ship or on an island or something), will blow with less kills than a tank vs. a City with 20 people in it, on-plane? Maybe there could be some time to get to the City if you're not available to defence before the threshold gets set, or something, and if the numbers change lots, it could go back to the standard? 

It just seems like, a lot of the time, one side'll get bored before you get the kills necessary for a level 2-3, unless to start with, it's like 15-against-15. 

The big issue there is it promotes people to either log out or just think "eh, if I log in, I'll just be hurting us when Cyrene comes raid us again".

Big no no as far as we're concerned, we never want to give people reason to think being logged out is in any way better than being logged in.

• Karren said:
    @Makarios @NicolaAre there any auction plans for a one time name change? I will choose a much more masculine name this go around.

And doubtless rob the forum community of months of entertainment? I'm not sure we could ever do that.
  • How many pairs of the fairy wings have been won from the wheel this month?
  • Tahquil said:
    How many pairs of the fairy wings have been won from the wheel this month?

Six or so, but people keep trading them in.

• Now it seems, that ultimate question has to be asked.

Due to the popularity of Skittles will they be allowed in game?
  • Karren said:
    Puxi said:
    Karren said 20 RL days. He said he hated himself and all if you after it. I believe it. 

Fixed that for you. You're the second person today :angry:

It's entirely your own fault.

Who takes the name Karren and doesn't expect to be thought of as a woman forever?!

<3
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Though in all seriousness, Is there any thoughts on new islands in seafaring  or the development on the adventurer discovery and visiting of Therophage or Azatlan in the future?
  • Makarios said:
    Anedhel said:
    Would it be super complicated to tie tank detonation thresholds to the current population in a given City while the kills are being recorded for feeding the tank? As in, a tank vs. a City with, say, 6 people in it, on-plane ('cuz they shouldn't count if they're on a ship or on an island or something), will blow with less kills than a tank vs. a City with 20 people in it, on-plane? Maybe there could be some time to get to the City if you're not available to defence before the threshold gets set, or something, and if the numbers change lots, it could go back to the standard? 

It just seems like, a lot of the time, one side'll get bored before you get the kills necessary for a level 2-3, unless to start with, it's like 15-against-15. 

The big issue there is it promotes people to either log out or just think "eh, if I log in, I'll just be hurting us when Cyrene comes raid us again".

Big no no as far as we're concerned, we never want to give people reason to think being logged out is in any way better than being logged in.

I was saying the opposite, having a low population makes it easier to blow a tank, because it's fewer kills than a tank with lots and lots of people around to defend against it! (The rationale being that if you need, say, 30 kills to get an L2, as an example, and there are only 6 people around, you gotta kill each person 5 times, as opposed to, in the case of a defending City having, say, 15 people around, each person only has to get killed twice to get to the same number, so it's much tougher to get a big tank on low-population places, cuz you somehow have to get defenders to stick around for more deaths per person.) That encourages people to show up and defend their home town, I think?

I suppose punishing Cities in off-peak hours is a side-effect, but late-night raiding's always been a thing, and Cities can still opt out of defending altogether, so I don't really see much of the concern there. 
  • Makarios said:
    Aegoth said:
    How close was the tank Mhaldor just blew in Hashan (cuz they stopped fighting :() to getting lv 2?

I'd not have left.
    I am immeasurably sad. % probes cannot come sooner :(
  • Makarios said:
    Karren said:
    @Makarios @NicolaAre there any auction plans for a one time name change? I will choose a much more masculine name this go around.

And doubtless rob the forum community of months of entertainment? I'm not sure we could ever do that.
    Not to mention the entertainment when I get killed by mistake at some point.
  • @Quisse

I think the choices of enjoy/resent don't factor in that this is employment for us, we judge all submissions on various factors including suitability, fit with canon, and the current workload faced by the Garden team at the time.

I definitely do, but I can't share which/where.

The scope of player interests make all projects much larger than you'd initially expect, so many people want so many conflicting things, or won't play if certain themes, buzzwords, motivations aren't met.

@Ahmet I meant @Achimrst

@Jurixe
    1. This is advice I give to all creators, be they Celani or players looking to do something new. Be very very flexible and don't fall in love with the specifics of your idea. Criticism is going to happen and you need to be able to take it on board, taking it personally creates a conflict that only stifles any possible progress. This is also the common reason for failure, someone has an idea and it has to be enacted 100% their way or they throw their hands up and give in.

2. Depends on content of plotline and whether or not we have available hands to support it. (This is much easier when you have active Org patrons.)

3. As Mak says, there's always a chance.

4. We don't choose! We've always got something bubbling.

5. See the plotlines answer above. I'll also add that sending in a fully scripted event for X and friends who will follow it to the letter is almost always going to be turned down. As players you often don't know the profiles and personalities of denizens, and much like players, our denizens like to be able to react as is appropriate for themselves. An event plan needs to be broad enough to allow (within reason) for everyone to be able to engage with, choose their reaction, and what part they'll play.

This does make event planning very difficult as you cannot account for how things will play out, in these cases you have to at least come up with optional endings (reinforcing things as more of a choose your own adventure than a script for actors in a play.)

6. It's not entirely not on the table.

@Zulah
    As @Cooper said, AREAS, and even AREAS <level#> will give you this.

@Torrent
    There are always thoughts about new islands, areas, continents, and other unmentioned fun, translating an idea into a 100+ room build is another matter entirely.

• On that note, I think we're done!

Thank you for your questions, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.