Le phones

So I've broken my phone and contemplated buying a new one. So Samsung or Apple. Tell me why's. (Ps I buy phone outright so the cost is all mine)

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    As a developer I prefer android phones, so I would probably go with samsung. Android phones also let you get stuff illegally without voiding hte warranty on the phone etc. Apple is more customer friendly, and safer to use, but also downloading apps that you shouldn't be downloading is harder work.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Mishgul said:
    As a developer I prefer android phones, so I would probably go with samsung. Android phones also let you get stuff illegally without voiding hte warranty on the phone etc. Apple is more customer friendly, and safer to use, but also downloading apps that you shouldn't be downloading is harder work.
    Rooting the latest galaxy phones is a goddamn pain.
    Huh. Neat.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Still sounds easier than Apple...

i've never needed to root it :S Is there a reason to root an android phone?

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    I think if you are installing stuff you can't download from the Google play store? I honestly forget.'m I've done it once. I've thought about doing it so I auto install updates on my sd card instead of my phone.

• edited August 2016
    You can install most non-store apps without rooting. Rooting allows more functionality and more customisation than what's normally possible. For a simple example, you might not be allowed to uninstall certain apps that come with the phone (not because they're necessary, just for marketing reasons), and root lets you get around that and disable or remove those apps. It allows apps to do things they normally aren't allowed to do, so you can block ads (even ads within other apps), restrict specific permissions from specific apps (for example if an app constantly uses up your data in the background with no option to stop it, and you don't want to get rid of the app, you can turn off its ability to use mobile data), back up your files and apps more effectively, automate all sorts of things, overclock/underclock your phone for better performance or better battery life, put apps and other things on an sd card instead of the phone's storage or vice versa, extensive customisation and more control over various settings, update to newer android versions without waiting for your carrier to release an update, or switch to an unofficial custom OS (like CyanogenMod).

Rooting does typically void your warranty though, same as jailbreaking iOS. Neither is illegal (it's in kind of a grey area in some countries, but so far no legal actions have ever been taken against rooting/jailbreaking, so it's not likely to matter).
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited August 2016
    I have heard so many horror stories about repairing Apple phones basically being the cost of the phone, so I suppose it depends if you intend on keeping the phone a while and, if the unimaginable happens, you try to get it repaired rather than replaced. Apple's put in so much new tech that doesn't allow third-party repair peeps in the slightest, which is on top of already being more expensive in general.

I think iPhone tends to have more popularity, so things might come out on it first, and Apple has a really high standard on their app store. Still, more of Android's apps are free, and Google Play is pretty great. I find Apple's refund policy (for apps) much better, but I am very careful about anything I spend money on, so I don't usually need refunds.

I bought a practically mint-condition purple S4 (which has pretty great specs, even for an older phone) on eBay about a year ago for $95. I bought it the best tempered glass screen protector and a great phone case, which brought up the total spendings to about $150. As long as I take care of it, it should last me for years. I'm all about the good deal investments. And more than likely, once I'm ready to upgrade, it'll be super easy to resell for nearly what I bought it for after I purchase a new one.

I feel like I'm way less roped in with Android. That's just my personal opinion, and most people I know have an iPhone, but there you go.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Go Samsung, you won't regret it.

[I have the Samsung Galaxy J7, which is nowhere near as good as the S5 and up, yet still better than a grip of Apple phones. Plus, Ultra Power Saving Mode IS SO GOOD. My current 84% can last a full 78 hours on UTP, and 35 hours on standard Power Saving. Without any of them on, 33 hours.]

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Niccolo said:
    Go Samsung, you won't regret it.

[I have the Samsung Galaxy J7, which is nowhere near as good as the S5 and up, yet still better than a grip of Apple phones. Plus, Ultra Power Saving Mode IS SO GOOD. My current 84% can last a full 78 hours on UTP, and 35 hours on standard Power Saving. Without any of them on, 33 hours.]

UPSM is a life saver. It really is.
    Huh. Neat.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm using a Samsung Note 5 right now. I suggest you skip this model and wait it out for the Note 7. They attempted to pare some things down with the 5, taking a note out of Apple's book by removing the option to replace your battery. So now it's one solid phone instead of having a backing. It also doesn't have an SD card slot, making space extremely limited. I don't know why they ever thought that would be a good idea but there you go.

• I spent two years with my Nokia Lumia 1520 and loved everything about part from the app support. I recently changed to an iPhone 5s (mainly due to app support) and totally hate it. I regret buying it every time I pick it up. The text keyboard is annoying, the auto correct is far too sensitive, the way they display the main screen is cluttered and horrible, the home button has failed on every phone I've had so waiting for it to go on this one. The wireless range is shockingly poor. (My Nokia has no issue on the top floor of my house, my iPhone can't find it at all so I've had to buy a wifi booster just to use the bloody thing upstair).

probably doesn't answer your question but I'd rather not have a phone than have this piece of junk. I'm tempted to stick the sim back in the Nokia and give this to the kids to ply Swordigo

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I have been an Apple baby for six years now and cannot see me changing currently. Apple pretty much does what it says and is perfect for simpletons like me, who just want to jab buttons and see results.

Work force me (yes, force) to use Samsung note. I loathe Samsung with a passion that is usually only reserved for Manchester United football club. Samsung does weird things to my emails, texts, and most other apps and once even changed the phone language to Czech without my actually doing anything other than ending a phone call.(do not ask how long it took me to frantically jab buttons trying to work out Czech for "language")

To date, none of my three prior iPhones have ever had problems. I also love that I can link everything to iPad and Mac and, even better, they do this nifty family sharing on iTunes, so the 13 year old just downloads my music rather than costs me a bomb downloading her own.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Aurora said:
    I loathe Samsung with a passion that is usually only reserved for Manchester United football club. 
     <3 
  • Aurora said:

I loathe Samsung with a passion that is usually only reserved for Manchester United football club.
    GDI Rory!!

...wonder if Sartan is a a United fan...
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Xaden said:
    Aurora said:

GDI Rory!!

He doesn't live in Manchester, so likely.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Xaden said:
    Aurora said:

GDI Rory!!

He doesn't live in Manchester, so likely.
    Oi oi! Less o' that! All y'all are breaking my heart here.

• I have a Samsung A3 (2016) and it lets me do anything I want. Which is mostly WhatsApp, little browsing, little music, calendar stuff, and games that don't take up too much memory and speed (no, I don't play Pokemon). And Maps occasionally when my nav acts up. I paid around 200 € for it, and I couldn't imagine paying more for a phone. But if I had other devices to integrate (like @Aurora mentioned), or family members (our three-year-old isn't being confronted with those devilish things yet), I'd probably also look into a combination that would fit my own needs. I decided against an iPhone this time because I felt I'd only be paying extra for the name.
  • I've bought an iPhone 5s in December 2013 and still enjoy it every day. I've had an HTC sensation before and it gave me a headache on a daily basis. I've tried a lot of things to get it quicker, but ultimately just threw it in the bin.

In the almost three years that I have been using my iphone, I only had my battery replaced. That costed me around 60 euros which is not too bad. So in total the iphone costed me 880 euros over (nearly) three years and it's still good. That's 293 euro per year. The androids I had before costed a lot more. The HTC was 640 and lasted a year and a half, let's call it two, that sums up to 320 per year. So in hindsight, the iphone is the best buy for me so far.

Have to say though, rooting and off-market apps don't work on my iphone. But then again, I have no need for it. The apple just works. It also doesn't get slower, something the HTC (and earlier androids) were notorious for.

Hope this helps!
    And after all this... If I even upgrade it'll probably be to the s7

i have an s7 edge purely because I can make the battery last 5 days and that is amazing when you don't spend a lot of time near places to charge.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Kasya said:
    Aurora said:
     <3 
    Man utd is back! Best club ever!
    Rangor said:
    Kasya said:
    Aurora said:
     <3 

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • iPhone 100%. Far easier to use than androids, and far less buggy. When I was in high school I got an android before I had an iPhone, and it was the buggiest piece of shit I've ever owned. Horrible phone. Got an iPhone soon after that and never had any issues. Hardware is comparable in terms of power, and the operating system is far cleaner. Additionally, if you have a Mac of some sort at home or really any other Apple device, they can all communicate and have lots of interesting and unique functionality when used together. I can go into more detail as to just what they can all do if you want.

• Rangor said:
    Kasya said:
    Aurora said:
     <3 
    Wow, really going all out to get divine sanction on targ/loosis conflict :)

• People like to compare the super budget Android phones against the iPhone which is completely unfair. Galaxy s7 series areamazing phones. The Edge has great battery life and they all have the best camera of any flagship phone. 

That being said my current phone is the iPhone 6s Plus. 
  • Xaden said:
    Aurora said:

GDI Rory!!

My bad?

I love Arsenal Manchester United, really...

(Pick the iPhone!!)
    i have decided that this year is the year of West Ham United, because I the team I actually support, Rotherham United, got relegated for the 900th time last season down to division 1

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Aurora said:
    Xaden said:
    Aurora said:

GDI Rory!!

My bad?

I love Arsenal Manchester United, really...

(Pick the iPhone!!)
    Ah... explains the bitterness...

First season y'all miss out on CL I think...

Also never pick anything apple ever.

• Vote for Team iPhone here. I got the iPhone 4s at the end of 2011 and it lasted a solid four years with no problems until the very end. Upgraded to the 6s after that and my only complaint is there's no IRE Helper app for iOS (yet).
  • Rohai said:
    Vote for Team iPhone here. I got the iPhone 4s at the end of 2011 and it lasted a solid four years with no problems until the very end. Upgraded to the 6s after that and my only complaint is there's no IRE Helper app for iOS (yet).
    This. Just this.

There used to be an IRE client app-thingie a while back, that allowed to connect. But basically, I just want to be able to read my messages and news and stuff, basically something like the firefox-extension does!