Latest batch of seafaring changes!

Comments

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Wait... Maybe that's the new class, the white Knights!!!!!
  • I think there is more people bitching about people bitching about it then the people bitching. 

Wtf is s SJW?
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    I forget what it actually stands for. I know that lately it has been labeled anyone -not- a trump supporter.

On further inspection it means Social justice warrior, apparently. So yeah, White knights.
  • Oh, yeah duh. 
  • Kresslack said:
    Salvaging a ship with another ship should not move it to the nearest harbour. There's a harbour option for this for a reason.
    Although moving it to a harbour is the idea I favour for the reasons I stated, it is really only one possible solution. It might be enough to just give the captain the choice of making a ship unsalvageable except in harbour, or if that seems too unrealistic to some of you, maybe make it so the crew of the ship does not instantly return to the newly raised vessel until the captain orders them too. For example, using a new command like SHIP CREW RETURN or something. At the very least there should be a time delay between sinking and salvageops to allow the captain to get through Thoth's halls and make it to a harbour. It should not be a race to see who can get a ship up first. There should also be a "grace period" for a newly raised vessel where seamonsters will not appear and attack it so that the captain can get the ship out of the zone.

Either way, something needs to be done because certain people (I'm not referring to Jinsun here) are abusing the heck out of this even as I write and are suffering zero consequences for it. It was one thing back when only your great grandma's cousin three times removed had the spec, but now practically everyone can do it and it is already getting out of hand.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Skye said:

Just for reiteration. That sort of shit is very obviously clear abuse of a mechanic and all around shitty behaviour. Even without PK rules (old or new guidelines) it should never be considered acceptable. If people require a hardcoded measure just to ensure that they behave like a decent human being, then they're obviously toxic and they have no business playing the game with anyone. 

• It all just ...hurts?
  • Skye said:
    Skye said:

If people require a hardcoded measure just to ensure that they behave like a decent human being, then they're obviously toxic and they have no business playing the game with anyone. 
    At the risk of sounding cynical, "toxic" describes a very large percentage of Achaea's playerbase. When rules are not clearly spelled out or enforced and authorities are invisible and silent, bad things happen.

As to whether these things should be policed or coded out, that is a choice for admin.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited June 2016
    There's a certain degree to player behaviour where it goes from 'annoying' to 'kinda pushing it' to 'toxic'. So I myself am not too quick to call shit toxic.

I do, however, believe that if people play the game to the point where they're using all sorts of technicalities to get away with shit, then they are the problem and basically are the reason why we had such a massive nightmare of the old HELP PK/CAUSE/DEFENDING file and you'd have actual rules lawyers who helped you write and reply to issues because they were experts at 'technicality'.

It's really not hard to follow the basic stipulation of 'don't be an asshole'.*

* If in doubt, just ask yourself 'if I did the rough equivalent of this shit in real life, would it get my head shoved down a toilet/shot by an irate person?'. If the answer is yes, then you should probably stop. 

• Or, if someone did this to me, would I call them an asshole?
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    More joys of dealing with @Artanis dude is really seriously getting on my nerves. He's been blocking everyone in Tapoa for the last several minutes and isn't fighting anyone, just won't let anyone leave. 

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/21b0ca0a
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Jinsun said:
    More joys of dealing with @Artanis dude is really seriously getting on my nerves. He's been blocking everyone in Tapoa for the last several minutes and isn't fighting anyone, just won't let anyone leave. 

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/21b0ca0a
    Can you not attack him because he's sat in front of the harbour and there's no room to manouevre out to get him? If so, that's a really crappy mechanic and thing to do

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    No, you can't you're stuck. I'm gonna kill him when I see him on land. @Nichola go ahead and get the shrubbery ready if you need to. This guy's being a total prick and that obnoxious rule about no retribution is going to drive me away from the game.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    The ability to block a port like that is pretty obnoxious. I kinda like that we can actually blockade folks from -entering- a port, that seems neat for cutting off a target's escape or maybe for big event scenarios, but if you're docked in a port that's being blockaded, you should always be able to 'exit' a port, so you can at least take a ship out to fight the guy blockading. It should push the blockader 1 metron out so you can get out, or just teleport you to the other side.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • you spelled @nicola incorrectly
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Oh @Nicola sorry.
  • Take another ship from another harbour and go attack him. You're POM, surely you have access to plenty of ships.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I recall someone getting blocked in simply because someone had dc'd and with a quick Issue Me Tecton moved the ship. If it's someone just intentionally sitting there blocking it to be a prick, only other option really is to start attacking or have another ship come up on them.

It's a temporary resolution, as intended, because he either sits there sandwiched between two ships getting attacked, or moves and lets the one ship out.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    A real solution would be making it so that ships can't be blocked in. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I like how when it's not Jinsun being a dick, the pitchforks and torches don't come out.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Seems we have a goal people.
    Blockading can be a legitimate strategy, but generally used to stall or make someone reconsider docking at a certain port. Using it to keep someone stuck on an island is pretty dumb. Not many ports allows for people to be blocked in like that one does. Easiest solution is to substitute a land room for a water room and give people some wiggle room to slide by.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Can we just get an anti artanis group? I hear the Pirates may recruit.... Like a rumor or something (seriously it's awful trying to find new blood for something like that)
  • Shirszae said:
    A real solution is Artanis not being a griefer about sailing.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Cooper said:
    Shirszae said:
    A real solution is Artanis not being a griefer about sailing.
    We both know one of those is more likely than the other :/

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• On an older note, rigging is 29 lessons and fireweapon 51, so even though it's more lessons than you needed it's actually not too bad at least.