Latest batch of seafaring changes!

Comments

• edited June 2016
    You may not switch auras again so soon.

^ This is terrible. Why is that even real?

A: I already have to be in a harbour to change it, so ti's not like you can just change it on the fly... why on earth is there a cooldown to that?

B: Someone joins your crew unexpectedly and has a specific aura to bring to the table, oh shit well, looks like you can't really help anyway because I"m on that aura and I can't change my aura! Sorry!

!?!?!? Ug I just hate change for the sake of change

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    @Saeva you don't need to be in a harbour to change them :/

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• what did the cd end up being?
  • You know what that does?! It makes me even more mad.

All of these changes changed enough to where you have to relearn a whole plethora of stuff to seafare almost exactly as one could before.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Saeva said:
    You know what that does?! It makes me even more mad.

All of these changes changed enough to where you have to relearn a whole plethora of stuff to seafare almost exactly as one could before.
    Yes, lets stick with the less enjoyable and more unbalanced systems just so people don't have to re-learn the changes.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I mean to be fair under the old system the person wouldn't even have had an aura to contribute. Even with aura CD you're at worst just where you were before, and after the 10 minutes or whatever you're up an aura!
  • Oh cool you have a little dab to contribute. Great. Good for everyone!

Its still a minute enough change from the way thing were in the beginning that o want to pull my hair out . If 0 things had changed and they added tethers and chopping tethers and removed forceboard and added plunder we would -almost- be in the same spot we started at. But now we have relearned the entire skill set twice. Fun.

• The most annoying part was definitely having to respec everything and having to figure out all the mechanics that are different (fought for like 30 minutes trying to figure out the tether mechanic), but overall it's still overall a step in the right direction so it's worth it, really!
  • New announce. QoL changes are great thanks!
  • You can still sail fine without utilising auras. Before it was pointless to go out unless you had someone with near max deckhand or someone that can use sea spells meaning unless the stars aligned you'd still have people not being used to their full potential. Now, however, everyone can fire weapons, everyone can use sea spells and everyone can help maintain the ship. Even if auras do overlap people can still help a ship by doing things in the main skill tree.
  • Also, my poor widdle cutter knocked from the board :(
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Can't please everyone. Spend years asking for Seafaring reform, finally get it, of course there's going to be one or two people who are dramatically inconvenienced about it.

I don't mind the respecing or even having to learn the new mechanics and start fresh. It's new, fresh, and exciting change in an area which for years sat stagnate and we just made due with the broken toys we had.

We've got new toys now. That's something to celebrate, because we're likely going to keep getting more.

• @Nicola : Any chance for those of us who have sorta shot themselves in the foot by hunting up a fair number of kiddy-pool monsters and tanking our average level to get a reset on our monster numbers?
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA

Saeva said:
    Oh cool you have a little dab to contribute. Great. Good for everyone!

Its still a minute enough change from the way thing were in the beginning that o want to pull my hair out . If 0 things had changed and they added tethers and chopping tethers and removed forceboard and added plunder we would -almost- be in the same spot we started at. But now we have relearned the entire skill set twice. Fun.
    The cooldown is necessary to avoid certain exploits, such as switch aura command/invoke wavecall/lol when you get starshot'ed, or swapping to Watch aura when you need to climb the rigging and then swapping back to something useful.

Tahquil said:
    Also, my poor widdle cutter knocked from the board :(
    Challenge accepted.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Wavecall isn't a pet of auras it's a seaspell

• Right but he means off figurehead/for cheaper. That said, the off-figurehead part of command isn't part of the aura, I believe?
  • edited June 2016
    Honestly... Who cares? Wow you saved some figurehead power, but hey you are repairing slower. Oh wow suddenly you are turning a wee bit faster, I'm so mad, I wanted you to wave call away for less.  The ability to "abuse" this stuff really seems.. A bit far fetched. If you are on a cutter you -should- get options cause you are screwed anyway. If you are on a strider you already have a plethora of options anyway. This aura cool down is inconvenient for those who tune up, get ready to cast off and have someone join their crew who could have used that aura and let you use another. It's he little things that really get under my skin.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited June 2016
    Saeva said:
    Honestly... Who cares? Wow you saved some figurehead power, but hey you are repairing slower. Oh wow suddenly you are turning a wee bit faster, I'm so mad, I wanted you to wave call away for less.  The ability to "abuse" this stuff really seems.. A bit far fetched. If you are on a cutter you -should- get options cause you are screwed anyway. If you are on a strider you already have a plethora of options anyway. This aura cool down is inconvenient for those who tune up, get ready to cast off and have someone join their crew who could have used that aura and let you use another. It's he little things that really get under my skin.
    Err, actually I'd never be repairing slower. With Rank V Deckhand and Command, I'd keep Deckhand up all the time, and then switch command/cast spell/switch deckhand. I'd get cheap spells and better repair at the same time, no downsides, no downtime.

But I wasn't referring to saving figurehead power, I mean the ability to cast seaspells without being melded, which is the rank V Command Aura perk. That's a huge perk that's fine if Command is the one Aura benefit you choose over the others, but if you can swap freely, then you can keep Helm, Deckhand, or Weapons up for those benefits until you get starshot'ed, switch to Command and cast your spells anyway, then go back to whatever you wanted. That effectively makes starshot obsolete.

That seems like a "little thing" until you actually face it, I'd wager. The first time you jump a ship and starshot it to disable it, and it immediately Shields/Wavecalls away anyway, you're going to have some choice words about that. That's a pretty powerful capability that's fine as long as it's the one benefit you choose from the start, but if you can stack that capability on top of whatever other Aura benefits you want the rest of the time, that's kinda OP and removes starshot as a legitimate option.

Yes, the CD is inconvenient at times, but without it, you're getting into the one-man-army, solo-sailor territory. The CD means that you actually need to have multiple crew to benefit from multiple auras, instead of one guy with multiple auras swapping between them as is mechanically prudent. Besides, isn't the CD 10 minutes now? That's not so bad. Usually takes 10 minutes to get wherever you're going after picking up a new crew member.

Sena said:
    The cooldown could be made to only apply at sea, while you can switch as often as you'd like in harbour.
    I like this, too.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    edited June 2016
    Er. You don't need to have the command aura attuned to use Remote.

ETA: @Nicola, are the other rank five perks bound to the associated auras? For example does the rowing speed bonus of helm need the helm aura active? To my understanding this was not the case, but I am not sure. I only know that is not the case with Command.

• edited June 2016
    Aerek said:
    Err, actually I'd never be repairing slower. With Rank V Deckhand and Command, I'd keep Deckhand up all the time, and then switch command/cast spell/switch deckhand. I'd get cheap spells and better repair at the same time, no downsides, no downtime.
    Except that aura switching is a 4s interruptible channel that also requires a 4s balance re-activation at the bow. 8 second downtime is not insignificant.
  • I'm genuinely not trying to negate the hard work the admin has done. I know it's considerable and done for nothing more than free will, I just really struggle to see how a lot of these changes are so damn cool. Cause I really hate change for the sake of saying things changed. I don't like relearning and I don't like reteaching when it boils down to massive technical changes and very small practical changes. I know people probably think I'm being out of line but I'm just irrationally irritated every time I find new little stuff like this. Maybe my hormones are out of whack but I think it's pretty par the course for me.

I don't even know that there is so much to relearn, honestly. 

• edited June 2016
    The onky truly bother to learn thing is respeccing deckhand.

Okay, how about we tackle this from another way. Say i wanted to go out sailing with my friend and we were both specc'd command and watch.before the changes there were big gaps in what we cant do. We could maintain, couldnt fire weapons, couldnt do a lot of things and it would be pretty pointless to go out other than trade/fish/dive / things that recquire no skill.

Now it is viable for us to go out together. All the base skills you will need to fight seamonsters or get more aggressive/defensive can be used by anyone. If your in a sticky spot all your crew can shoulder maintaining duties instead of being reliant on that one guy who has deckhand's endyrance.

The auras should really be thought of as small perks, but they arent vitally needed to have a functioning crew.
    Saeva said:
    If you're on a Cutter you have plenty of options, but shouldn't expect to be able to outdo a Strider if you come up against one. Bigger crew, more oars, bigger sails, bigger hull able to cut through chops with moderate ease. Your options are to be evasive and clever, and that comes down to what type of a captain is at the helm. Shipwarning, Wavecall, Cloaking, these are all valuable tools and very effective at staying out of trouble, all dependent on how they're used.

Additionally, while a strider may have more options, those options now also require a crew. The aforementioned aspects were always there and a benefit, as they should be for a larger ship. People have been griping about Cutter vs Strider for years, but the fact of the matter is that the cutter is an entry level ship and, for the most part, the Strider is the sweet spot.

I've only played around with the Auras for a little while, but if anything they're an extra added benefit to Cutters and really confused as to why there's this big issue with them. If you set your aura and go sailing, and pick someone up, and want to change auras, find a port to stop in and make a quick change if that's what it takes.

I don't see it so much as change for the sake of change as I do this being a case of complaining for the sake of complaining.

The changes have been overall very well received and very practical.

• You have to be able n harbour to change seaspells on the figurehead. You can change Aura's anywhere. 
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    You also can't have wavecall and cloak at the same time anymore, rip.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I don't complain for the sake of complaining. Thanks though.

Melodie said:
    You also can't have wavecall and cloak at the same time anymore, rip.
    Should have never been able to do that. It's a bit much, imo.

• Wavecall and shield is still viable, if you want to maintain the advantage of being the fleeing ship.