Starmourn!!!

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Had another thought I was tossing around... since the video starts with humankind discovering that they're not alone in the universe, which way do you think IRE will go, or which way do you hope they'll go?

Where we all start as humans and go through the struggle of opposing or helping the alien faction(s)? That would be different from the other IRE games where you have options of multiple races.

Or should they go the way of the other IRE games where you can start as the alien faction(s) or as the  humans, and go from there?

I think either one is an interesting concept, but I am not sure about the pros/cons of going a completely different way and having everyone be human. The thing is, this group of aliens is more advanced than the humans are, so I wonder how they'd balance it from them not having a huge advantage from the start that makes it very difficult for anyone who chooses human to progress at the rate that they can.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• In regards to humans being way behind technologically, take a look at how the human race did in Mass Effect and Halo. Lore in both games basically starts out with humanity way behind in technology.
    Jukilian said:
    In regards to humans being way behind technologically, take a look at how the human race did in Mass Effect and Halo. Lore in both games basically starts out with humanity way behind in technology.
    I haven't played those, so no knowledge to draw from. :(

• Look up the lore of Mass Effect at least, IMO. Especially the Human/Turian War, and the conclusion of it. Probably similar to Starmourn's kind of setup from the sounds
  • Jukilian said:
    Look up the lore of Mass Effect at least, IMO. Especially the Human/Turian War, and the conclusion of it. Probably similar to Starmourn's kind of setup from the sounds

Mass Effect has some amazing lore. Put more hours than I care to admit in all the games, and I enjoyed the lore more than the gameplay. Would be really cool if Starmourn pulled some things from the Mass Effect games.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Surprised no one mentioned the possibility of going out there and having crazy space adventures like in Guardians of the Galaxy. 

Tree and racoon people in spaaace. 
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Dibs on Chris Pratt as my minion!
  • So yeah... Sci fi does have a lighthearted fun side too!

That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Go forth my fellow humans! Spread the legend of Kevin Bacon to the stars!

• NO FUN

ONLY DYSTOPIA

• I find it crazy that Bladerunner, Aliens Franchise, and Prometheus are all in the same universe.
  • edited May 2016
    I call it Giegerville.

Edit : @Tecon : can we have a planet/suburb/area called Giegerville?
  • Tahquil said:

can we have a planet/suburb/area called Giegerville?
    Nah

It won't be its own area

You'll just get random crew members arriving back on your ship after some R&R time in the local spaceport

After leaving the planet, you'll lock in the dumb-AI nav system for the deep space trade lane to your destination, one of the straight-line trajectories between systems upon which there are no stars or clouds of stellar debris, just long tunnels of open space where you can throttle up to full burn and build to a high fraction of C

Walking the hallways to make final checks on your crew and cargo before you prepare to enter hypersleep, you'll suddenly hear a minor alarm call requesting you in the medbay

One of your junior engineers has some minor gastrointestinal distress, the triage readout will inform you

It won't seem like anything too serious, but if he's put out of commission you'll be below operational morality threshold for souled minds, and having to crack into and override your ship's standards and oversight system over such a minor issue would be a risk and a hassle you won't be in the mood to deal with

As medbay is running scans and you're thinking about what to do, he'll give a deathly wail and his abdomen will bulge outwards

A worm-like creature will gnaw its way out of his chest in a viscid burst of blood and guts

You'll give a low, moaning scream that's at once disbelieving and a subconscious attempt to express some of the shock that would otherwise sublimate into madness, and grasp repeatedly, fruitlessly, for the sidearm you stowed in the armoury 3.5 hours ago

Pupils dilating, you'll track the bloodthirsty parasite as it flagellates across the chrome floor and into a vent leading to the ship-wide environmental control ducts

Gaze flicking to your now-silent junior engineer, his chest splayed open in a macabre tableau of shredded organs, you'll stumble backwards to the door, slamming your fist into the alarm button with an unwarranted level of force and repetition

Klaxons will blare and red warning lights will animate the ship as diagnostic systems immediately begin scanning for the cause of alarm, and you'll shout the authorisation and commands that will begin the startup routines to bring the ship's smart-AI network online

But it will be too late

The junior engineer won't have been the only one carrying a parasite

Most of your crew will already be so much meat

Other chestbursters will already be secluding themselves to molt and metamorphose into their mature forms

The giddy grasp of terror will squeeze your heart as survival narrows from desperate hope to unlikely dream

Contemplating the least-bad form of death - pistol? chem overdose? evacuation from the air-lock? - will become an indulgence as you hide in the shadows, frantically trying to slow your heartbeat from its noisy, thudding staccato while drawing breath as shallowly and quietly as you possibly can
  • Lucianus said:
    I find it crazy that Bladerunner, Aliens Franchise, and Prometheus are all in the same universe.
    Wait aliens is in the blade runner universe. How'd I miss this?!?
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Texel said:
    Lucianus said:
    I find it crazy that Bladerunner, Aliens Franchise, and Prometheus are all in the same universe.
    Wait aliens is in the blade runner universe. How'd I miss this?!?
    If you don't have the steelbook edition of Promethius, you won't know... http://www.tor.com/2012/10/05/new-prometheus-material-confirms-blade-runner-and-alien-share-a-universe/

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Starmourn being a sci-fi mud aside.

I'm actually more excited to see what sort of new ideas and possibilities will come out from their new codebase if Tecton is coding it from the ground up. Years of frustration working with the Achaean codebase, learning from mistakes, and dealing with its limitations should definitely inspire some pretty unique stuff.
  • Antonius said:
    Lucianus said:
    Starmourn being a sci-fi mud aside.

I'm actually more excited to see what sort of new ideas and possibilities will come out from their new codebase if Tecton is coding it from the ground up. Years of frustration working with the Achaean codebase, learning from mistakes, and dealing with its limitations should definitely inspire some pretty unique stuff.
    We can at least be sure that Starmourn will have working weather from day one then!
    I hope they combine the weather system in MKO and Lusty.

In MKO, you had cold/hot weather interacting with all the liquids in the game, including the contents in your containers. Which is kinda fun when novices becoming close to dying from their thirst mechanic... and newbie helpers would give them a fire starter kit to heat their water containers over fires to thaw it out in order to drink.

Lusty's weather effected literally everything from your movement to the warmth/lack of warmth of your clothing layers. Heck, they even made a skillset (shamanism) to influence the weather to their advantage in pvp.
    Except in space temp should be regulated on ships, but if there's travel to various planets you -should- need major temperature regulation through some kind of suit or clothing. That would be fun!

• Kayeil said:
    Except in space temp should be regulated on ships, but if there's travel to various planets you -should- need major temperature regulation through some kind of suit or clothing. That would be fun!
    Or an enemy ship hacks your ship's system and turns on all the heating to force everyone to surrender from heat exhaustion. D:
  • weather should never affect pvp. period. 
    We just released the first newsletter for Starmourn, which is just pointing you to a transcript of an interview with one Sgt. Kemran James' about his experiences in the aftermath of Earth's disappearance, and about Maddox Khan, whom all human children learn the name and history of today.

www.starmourn.com/humans.html

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Lucianus said:
    Starmourn being a sci-fi mud aside.

Nothing as trusty as a blaster at your side.
    And maybe some spine punches to paralyze your foes.
    And chest bursters.
    And cyborgs.
    And honors quests to destroy whole worlds.
    And nine-foot blue trolls.
    And prison planets.
    And deserted, desolate colonies teeming with deadly, hungry critters.
    And fluidic space.
    And waifs needing rescuing from horrible Overdogs.
    And deadly harlequins.
    And it's full of stars.

• Kayeil said:
    We just released the first newsletter for Starmourn, which is just pointing you to a transcript of an interview with one Sgt. Kemran James' about his experiences in the aftermath of Earth's disappearance, and about Maddox Khan, whom all human children learn the name and history of today.

www.starmourn.com/humans.html

Picture
    Cap'n Maddox is god

If he tells me to rip a new asshole in a planet, I ask how many clicks wide he wants it, and then I shove my foot so far up that rock's new shitter that folks on the other side are choking on my toejam.

If he says a flagship needs taking down, I ask how many pieces he'd like it blown into, and then I and the good men and women of Omega Company make the enemy on that ship wish their parents never screwed (or whatever damn way the freakier ones like the Decheerans or Grensuhlians get their business handled). And then we really go to work on them.

Cap'n Maddox made us who we are - the most goddam dangerous fighting force in the whole sorry history of mankind, and pretty damn renowned in Starmourn Sector too. He taught us duty, and honor, and discipline, and even with all the shit we've had to eat since being sent off to the Callisto colony, I wouldn't trade it. 

I was born to fight among the stars with my brothers and sisters in motherfucking arms.

Picture

Omega Company! Semper Primus!

Space Mhaldorians. O_O
    He calls him Cap'n and all I can think of is Cap'n Crunch. Crunch-a-tize me Cap'n!

• You kids are so cute. Let us all keep pretending like I'M not going to pirate the shit out of every god damn thing that moves.
    Kinilan said:
    You kids are so cute. Let us all keep pretending like I'M not going to pirate the shit out of every god damn thing that moves.
    No need for new character speculation. Kinilan will be the very obvious one.

• Kinilan said:
    You kids are so cute. Let us all keep pretending like I'M not going to pirate the shit out of every god damn thing that moves.

Just going to literally sail straight out of Achaea and into Starmourn for some space piracy
  • With ships bigger than any Achaean seamonster. :D