Order Contracts

As things currently stand, a mark completing a contract that was issued by an order for witnessing a defilement grants the mark no gain to mark reputation, and a minimal amount of gold (however much the Order chooses to offer). I don't really like this fact, as I don't see any difference between completing a contract for an Order and a person, but its not a huge deal.

The problem arises from the fact that, while you cannot gain any reputation for completing these contracts, if you happen to fail one, you will still loose reputation. This means that marks have almost nothing to gain from taking them, but everything to lose. Yes, these contracts do have some small gold reward, but these rewards are usually some negligible amount, and I know I can speak for the majority of marks when I say that none of us actually give a shit about the gold. We do it exclusively for fun, and to gain mark reputation for bragging rights.

Solution: we either need to allow these contracts to give reputation when completed just like any other contract, or we need to remove the loss of reputation when they are failed. Now that I know I can only lose reputation from accepting one, I know I certainly won't bother grabbing them until I have something to gain from it, and I imagine most other marks do the same.

Paging @Tecton @Sarapis

Comments

• Afaik you only don't gain rep for contracts from your own Order, but I could be wrong/it could be bugged. The reasoning is you get 24 hours where only Order members of that Order can take the contract (presumably just to allow people to champion their own orders for RP reasons). If they got rep for taking it, they'd have a big advantage over non-Order member marks because of the monopolies on heavily defiled orders' contracts. You're also taking the contract to help your own cause, shouldn't need to gain something.

I don't know if this is necessary, though, and I definitely think losing points but not gaining them was an oversight.
  • Xinna said:
    Afaik you only don't gain rep for contracts from your own Order, but I could be wrong/it could be bugged. The reasoning is you get 24 hours where only Order members of that Order can take the contract (presumably just to allow people to champion their own orders for RP reasons). If they got rep for taking it, they'd have a big advantage over non-Order member marks because of the monopolies on heavily defiled orders' contracts. You're also taking the contract to help your own cause, shouldn't need to gain something.

I don't know if this is necessary, though, and I definitely think losing points but not gaining them was an oversight.
    I didn't actually know that, considering my order never puts up contracts for defiling. I can understand why they don't get rep for it, even though I still don't like it. However, I posted this thread after I failed a contract on Proficy for some goddess (probably Artemis or Gaia) and lost 8 rep points for it, so either they always cost you rep or they were bugged to cost me rep. I just assumed the former.

• They definitely always cost rep, which I agree shouldn't be the case. I lost rep when I failed Sartan contracts.

But I think you are supposed to gain rep if you complete a contract for another order (not your own). Do you not?
  • Xinna said:
    They definitely always cost rep, which I agree shouldn't be the case. I lost rep when I failed Sartan contracts.

But I think you are supposed to gain rep if you complete a contract for another order (not your own). Do you not?
    Oh, totally misunderstood what you wrote...woops. No, you don't. I completed a contract on Proficy for Artemis a week and a half or so back and gained no rep.

• I think if you are not in the order that champions, you should be rewarded with points. Now there's like >10 order contracts on Quisalis, no one's picking it up for the same reason @Antidas wrote.
  • It'd be cool if they made order contracts just like others in terms of rep, but then had a few other changes to differentiate champions/assassins:

-Assassin order members no longer get that 24 hour monopoly. Assassin contracts always go to the whole pool of assassins

-Champions get the monopoly by city instead of order. If a Mhaldorian hires Ivory, for 24 hours only Mdorians Ivory marks have access. After that, it opens to the whole pool.

Champions could be tied to how well you Champion your own cause and assassins about just, well, what it is now.
  • I agree. Remove rep loss. I don't even want to touch our own contracts because of this.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    I agree here, we'll be doing some changes here in the near future!