In Memoriam

Comments

• Atalkez said:
    Talysin said:
    This retirement thing is bullshit. People get over Achaea, "quit" and come back often. It's not fair to let people liquidate their investment like this.
    Not fair to who exactly? 
    Not fair to people who can't handle the intrinsic transience of the human condition. The rich tapestry of our lives, shaped by the people who enter them, being frayed by their passing. Why does this game have to stop being an exception to that cruel truth? People always left, but hope of their return always remained, until now.
  • I think it's fair to be bummed that people have an option to never come back. Once upon a time not so long ago you could write out your big forums post about how you were never coming back and everyone would joke and say Haha see in six months and then they'd be right (Even @Aerek at one point iirc). Would those same people have chosen to retire now if they felt like they did then? Who knows. It still sucks for people who will miss their long time buddies. I'm not gonna get into what is good for the game because ain't nobody got time for that.

Personally, I am one of those that made a fortune off of retiring ancient characters. With a big pool of credits that I can't use because retirement came out a couple of months after I created Jemaine. That's what's not @**@# #@**$ fair!!

(That last bit was sarcasm, please don't respond seriously or a kitten will die)
  • The only real regret by Crachaeans is not getting 100 percent of your investment back.
  • Ismay said:
    Retirement brought me back. Players may be getting rid of older characters, but they're being given a fresh start. Most of these retirees are people who have long since lost interest in IRE, like I did. Since I retired my old characters and made Ismay here, I've been having more fun in Achaea than I remember ever having. It's akin to finding IRE as a newbie all over again.

No other new feature has drawn me in quite like retirement has. It is an outstanding business move.

I feel the exact same way, there is no way I would make a new char and spent the same $$$ on them as Rinzai, however getting the chance to regain a huge pile of those which will make a new character fun, has me really excited to play again, with a new class, new city, new story. I will no doubt also spent a little money here and there on the game (iron elite again) where I never would with out this choice.

Just can't wait to get started.
  • Agreed. This is an awesome development for the game. So many have  hung on to main characters because of their 'ease.' But, this allows for partial ease and an -easier- start on new characters. As someone who's woken up after 3 rl years to a game that has a lot of complex changes to see very few familiar faces, there is a large appeal to cutting my loses at 50% and starting over with a sizable package of transfer credits that would make creating a new character much less onerous without spending money.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2016
    RIP, my love! <3
    Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor (male Human).
    He is 174 years old, having been born on the 15th of Mayan, 530 years after the fall of the 
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He has given up the adventuring life.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is considered to be approximately 70% of your might.
    He is a Court Jester in the Carnivalis Institute of Jestering.
    He is a mentor and able to take on proteges.
    His motto: 'It's not just black and white anymore.'
    He has taken the hand of Bluef Shayan'Kor, the Somnolent Wytch in marriage.
    He has been divorced 2 times.
    He bears the arms: Quarterly Argent and Azure, a tower Sable.
    See HONOURS DEEDS KAIE to view his 1 special honours.
    I feel a bit guilty even posting this, to be honest. I know there are some players whose IC spouses left without a word. That must be terrible because first you have to deal with their disappearance from your gaming life, but then you have to roleplay it too. :skull: 

Not only do I still get to share in the player behind Kaie's new gaming adventures OOCly, but he made sure to leave on an incredibly positive note for my character and many of those he enjoyed gaming with in Achaea. 
    Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "Okay, well. It was nice to know most of you."

Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "Some of you have been a nightmare."

Kaie's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "Things will work out though I think."

Knave Inducktee Fether Shayan'kor exclaims in a honeyed voice, "I'm gonna pretend nothing is happening!"

Fether leaves to the south.

Kaie squeezes himself in a congratulatory manner.

Kaie attempts to stifle his amusement but cannot help laughing aloud.

Kaie takes Bluef by the hand, draws you into him, and whispers, "I love you."

Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "Okay love."

Bluef takes Kaie by the hand, draw him into you, and whisper, "I love you."

Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "I'll see you in the afterlife!"

"Awwwww!" Shara says.

Kaie gives Bluef a friendly squeeze.

Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "You've been amazing."

His tongue dancing gracefully, Kaie kisses Bluef with melting passion.

Kaie gives the world a smart salute.

Court Jester Kaie Shayan'kor says, "I'll miss you."
    If there were one change I'd suggest to the current retirement process, it would be adding a roleplay element to it. For example, requiring that when you actually retire your character has to enter a graveyard or other memorial space like the area within the highest peak of the Sirrocian mountains, where the Shrine of Ascension stood.

In my mind, I imagine the narthex of a cathedral or a sacred grove, where each extinguished life creates a new votive whose flame burns eternally within the space. 

• They're literally just retiring to go live in some farm or something ICly though.
  • I retired my two big characters on Aetolia prior to coming here. The line there is literally, "This character has been retired." - How's that for lame? I gave them both a story before they left, anyway. Just because the little text line is the same for everyone hardly means you can't end things however you like.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2016
    Kiet said:
    They're literally just retiring to go live in some farm or something ICly though.
    Haha, well I don't know why anyone would think Kaie (or anyone else) is retiring to live on a farm someplace. That'd be incredibly out of character for his character!

But the suggestion points to the issue I was raising: Unless you put effort into it, there is a real lack of any roleplay surrounding this latest change to Achaea for the characters left behind. It would be nice if that were different.

If Bluef ever retired (which she can't because the Tharosian Estates would POOF - Sorry, folks!), I'd either roleplay something big or send Cyrene's messenger to someone with cryptic last words. 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Bluef said:
    Kiet said:
    They're literally just retiring to go live in some farm or something ICly though.
    Haha, well I don't know why anyone would think Kaie (or anyone else) is retiring to live on a farm someplace. That'd be incredibly out of character for his character!

But the suggestion points to the issue I was raising: Unless you put effort into it, there is a real lack of any roleplay surrounding this latest change to Achaea for the characters left behind. It would be nice if that were different.

If Bluef ever retired (which she can't because the Tharosian Estates would POOF - Sorry, folks!), I'd either roleplay something big or send Cyrene's messenger to someone with cryptic last words. 
    I was actually a bit surprised/disappointed that personal housing gets destroyed when you retire. After all, you spend a lot of money putting that house together, isn't it more likely that you'd essentially 'retire' to said estate? It would've been a cool option if you get turned into a house denizen in your own estate upon retirement. People can come visit your retired denizen self and stuff.

• Sarapis said:
    Ismay said:

No other new feature has drawn me in quite like retirement has. It is an outstanding business move.
    Glad you like it! It's probably the single most popular IRE-wide move we've ever made, and usage is up from a small bit to a substantial bit across all of our MUDs since it went in.

I'd be very interested in seeing a few numbers. What's the retirement character shift between all the IREs? How many dormant players have returned? Etc?

I completely understand if you don't want to answer that. My curiosity is burning, hehe.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Ismay said:

I'd be very interested in seeing a few numbers. What's the retirement character shift between all the IREs? How many dormant players have returned? Etc?

I completely understand if you don't want to answer that. My curiosity is burning, hehe.

Those aren't the kind of numbers we'd share, sorry!
  • Sarapis said:
    Ismay said:

Those aren't the kind of numbers we'd share, sorry!
    It's ok I'll answer..

3... 3 and 10ish... Respectively

• Bluef said: I'm single now.

Hey girl, heyyyyyyy. (Totally kidding that was sad to read).
  • Draekar said:
    Antidas said:
    Sir Ariye @Draekar Rian, Knight of the Aarash Kheyr (male Elder Black Dragon).
    He is 281 years old, having been born on the 15th of Ero, 423 years after the fall of the 
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He is ranked 13th in Achaea.
    He is a Paragon in Targossas.
    He is a Veteran in the army of Targossas.
    He is considered to be approximately 140% of your might.
    He is an Imperator of Enlightenment in The Luminai.
    He is the Grace of the Lightbringer in the Divine Order of Aurora, the Lightbringer.
    His motto: 'Love all, Trust a few. Do wrong to none.'
    He has been divorced once.
    He bears the arms: Azure, a cross Vair between two swords in base Or and a dragon volant sinister 
    chief Argent.
    See HONOURS DEEDS DRAEKAR to view his 16 special honours.

Liar! You better not retire on me, or we're gonna have problems.
    Daeir said:
    Draekar no D:
    Yeah I'll be back, we lost 2 staff at work over the christmas break so I am covering three jobs until new appointments are made in late Feb. I do have time in the evenings to play, but honestly I am so burned out tired from 16+ hour days I just can't bring myself to try and focus on achaean txt walls.

I miss gaming though, I miss @Aurora and so many people in Achaea. Looking forward to making a come back in a week or two.
    amen on the working so hard you want to die. I'm right there with you.
  • My roommates dint understand why i just want to go home in relax and sit in my room lol.

• GawiGawi Washington
    While I know many people really like this retirement thing, I hate it. It means that people who yes might be dormant now, can't come back ever. I feel like I'm living in this fear that my friends are all going to up and retire on me. Even people who are not dormant have spoken of starting over, so many have talked about it, I HATE it. *mumblestupidretirementmumble*

• In regards to thread title. In Memoriam. I miss Phaestus.

Message 18741

Sent By: Phaestus on 2/22/15:36
    Well, thank you. I would only trade you for a really, really good barrel of ambrosia, too!
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Arditi Ixodes, the Singularity (male Atavian).
    He is 105 years old, having been born on the 20th of Valnuary, 600 years after the fall of
    the Seleucarian Empire.
    He is a Consul in Ashtan.
    He is a Recruit in the army of Ashtan.
    He is considered to be approximately 110% of your might.
    His motto: 'I will sing your fears if you sing my neurosis.'
    He bears the arms: Sable, three arrows in pale Argent within a double tressure of the
    second.
    See HONOURS DEEDS ARDITI to view his 4 special honours.

bye

• Taraus said:
    Arditi Ixodes, the Singularity (male Atavian).
    He is 105 years old, having been born on the 20th of Valnuary, 600 years after the fall of
    the Seleucarian Empire.
    He is a Consul in Ashtan.
    He is a Recruit in the army of Ashtan.
    He is considered to be approximately 110% of your might.
    His motto: 'I will sing your fears if you sing my neurosis.'
    He bears the arms: Sable, three arrows in pale Argent within a double tressure of the
    second.
    See HONOURS DEEDS ARDITI to view his 4 special honours.

bye Felicia