Blade and Soul

Any else tried this?  I'm amazing surprised with how well the game turned out, the combat is incredibly fun and complex.

Comments

• Not a fan of the grindy fetch quests on there. Combat is interesting though.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • With an MMO can't really get around that, but the leveling being really fast and combat fun has made the leveling experience much more enjoyable.
  • I do know that it is BIG in South Korea. Like... why it never went overseas all those years ago when it become popular in their own turf... I'll never know. Could be because they didn't wanna go against WoW or the other popular western mmo games.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Played it in beta i think. It does not handle lag well... at all. And I'm all about that lag.

Slutty armour was fun tho
  • Lucianus said:
    I do know that it is BIG in South Korea. Like... why it never went overseas all those years ago when it become popular in their own turf... I'll never know. Could be because they didn't wanna go against WoW or the other popular western mmo games.
    Eastern games usually don't do well with Western audiences because it's all about repetitive grinding and for some reason Eastern audiences eat that shit up.  B&S seems to not be nearly as grindy or maybe they just found a way to make it fun.

Tibitha said:
    Played it in beta i think. It does not handle lag well... at all. And I'm all about that lag.

It's been optimized extremely well for the Western release just a few days ago, my much older PC plays it on high with stable 40 fps.  And I've heard there's a special setting for people that have potatoes for computers.
  • One guy I know was speaking to me and was planning to play with a few other Achaeans. If he ever drops by, I'll ask for the name of the server they are playing on!
  • Pretty sure Tibitha means internet lag since she lives in the land of bad internet
  • From what I hear you need a <100ms ping at least, and a <50 to be properly competitive. If anyone can prove me wrong on that I might give it a look
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    From what I hear you need a <100ms ping at least, and a <50 to be properly competitive. If anyone can prove me wrong on that I might give it a look
    That's what I found looking around, too. Unlike other more reasonably designed mmo's, ping actually affects your DPS because there's no global cooldown and lots of skills have like 0 cooldown so you're just button mashing. Shame because it looked interesting otherwise!
  • Kiet said:
    Aepas said:
    From what I hear you need a <100ms ping at least, and a <50 to be properly competitive. If anyone can prove me wrong on that I might give it a look
    That's what I found looking around, too. Unlike other more reasonably designed mmo's, ping actually affects your DPS because there's no global cooldown and lots of skills have like 0 cooldown so you're just button mashing. Shame because it looked interesting otherwise!
    I'm not max level yet but I've done some PvP at level 20 with 100ish ping and it was still pretty fun,  I wasn't getting demolished and even won some.

Not sure where you got the info about the combat, but there is a GCD on most abilities and a Cooldown on every ability that isn't your main attack, also many conditional abilities that can only be used when you're stunned/knocked down or when the enemy is stunned/knocked down, and abilities that can only be used with combos.  It's the most indepth combat I've seen in an MMO.

Doubly awesome since the game is completely free to play, no price to buy or subscription.  Even if it turns out its too competitive at max level for my ping, having a blast so far.
    Piera said:
    One guy I know was speaking to me and was planning to play with a few other Achaeans. If he ever drops by, I'll ask for the name of the server they are playing on!
    Sweet!  I haven't found anyone else I know that's played it yet.
  • edited January 2016
    Non-max level pvp doesn't really matter that much, and I'm going off videos and people's general opinions on ping. Also 100 ping isn't really that high, really.

I'm sure you can do 'fine' with 150-200+ ping, but some people wont' be happy with just fine, so I'm just saying!

• Eh yeah true but I definitely won't be playing this game solely for competitive PvP.   People that only have fun if they are max level and best of the best might not enjoy it, but I don't see how those types of people enjoy any game. 

Also looks like that video is from BnS East from 2 years ago and not BnS West, which a lot was changed for the Western release.
  • edited January 2016
    Citrus said:
    People that only have fun if they are max level and best of the best might not enjoy it, but I don't see how those types of people enjoy any game. 
    Actually had a pretty big post in response to this.. Will instead just say:

This logic is baffling. Kiet is right, you should never try to make a strong opinion on an MMO when you're not max level. It's not DotA where 'level' doesn't matter, max level is often when a game is gonna be balanced/tuned around. Especially an MMO. - This isn't a 'best of the best' thing, it's a logical thinking thing. If ping isn't great, the good parts of the game are likely gonna feel less fun, because you hit a wall on what you can do.

• I understand where @Citrus is coming from.  It isnt to say max level gameplay isn't important. Moreso that rating gameplay based on optimized max performance (in this case ping) is far from applicable to most players.
  • Cynlael said:
    Citrus said:
    People that only have fun if they are max level and best of the best might not enjoy it, but I don't see how those types of people enjoy any game. 
    Actually had a pretty big post in response to this.. Will instead just say:

This logic is baffling. Kiet is right, you should never try to make a strong opinion on an MMO when you're not max level. It's not DotA where 'level' doesn't matter, max level is often when a game is gonna be balanced/tuned around. Especially an MMO. - This isn't a 'best of the best' thing, it's a logical thinking thing. If ping isn't great, the good parts of the game are likely gonna feel less fun, because you hit a wall on what you can do.
    You don't understand what I meant by my statement, what I meant is people that only enjoy when they are the #1 ranked high warlord server first whatever that 10ms ping and 50ms ping is something to rage about.  And basically, if you're having fun then level doesn't matter.  This is coming from someone who raided WoW in vanilla-BC hardcore Top 50 Us guild blah blah, so I know about how MMOs play entirely different at max level.  WoW leveling is boring as shit, and the real fun started at 60.  However I'm having a surprising fun time leveling because the combat feels responsive and intuitive, and that's something I doubt will change at max level. 

About the ping thing, I haven't seen much about it.  People animation canceling gets more annoying above 200ms but can still be done.
  • Citrus said:
    Tibitha said:
    Played it in beta i think. It does not handle lag well... at all. And I'm all about that lag.

It's been optimized extremely well for the Western release just a few days ago, my much older PC plays it on high with stable 40 fps.  And I've heard there's a special setting for people that have potatoes for computers. 
    Kiet said:
    Pretty sure Tibitha means internet lag since she lives in the land of bad internet
    Oh, yes, I meant internet, my PC is pretty decent. I play Achaea with a minimum 340ms ping (what a waste of a decent PC :D). I'm unsure what my latency to B&S was, but probably not pretty.

I don't know if they've change the way they handle latency but when I played the Western release beta they were not handling it elegantly, and I hadn't even attempted PvP. In PvE most actions took a second or two to actually kick in after you've sent them. So you start hitting a mob and nothing will happen for a couple seconds until it catches up and you realise he'd actually moved and you're just standing there hitting air.
  • Kiet said:
    Aepas said:
    No GCD? WHAT?!
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
  • I play Blade & Soul. I'm on the Hajoon server (under the same name).

If you're going to get into PvP competitively the game pretty much you have a low ping and high frame rate. Also, PvP isn't exactly balanced in the current NA version. Apparently, PvP becomes more balanced around level 50, but NA servers are currently level capped at 45.
  • Pippit said:
    I play Blade & Soul. I'm on the Hajoon server (under the same name).

If you're going to get into PvP competitively the game pretty much you have a low ping and high frame rate. Also, PvP isn't exactly balanced in the current NA version. Apparently, PvP becomes more balanced around level 50, but NA servers are currently level capped at 45.
    Awesome!  My mains on Old Man Cho I think.

Yeah I'm seeing where the ping comes into play with the super small counter windows, frame rate isn't a problem even on my older PC.  PvP'd today for a couple hours at level 20, won most of my duels and had a ton of fun.  Stringing together a long combo that requires precise button pressing feels badass.  Haven't played enough to know what it's like at 45 right now.
  • myself and a few others play on Dochun