New: Investable Artefact Powers

KayeilKayeil Washington State
ANNOUNCE NEWS #4478                                     (12/13/2015 at 02:57)  
From   : Tecton the Terraformer
To     : Everyone
Subject: Investable artefact powers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      There is always a juggle when it comes to wearing many artefacts at once, 
especially as there's only so many body parts to wear them! As a result, we've 
added a new system to allow you to shift and/or combine artefact powers on to 
different items.
      From today, you'll be able to buy an assign artefact powers to your items 
with the following commands:
ARTEFACT POWER LIST [OWNED]
- List the available powers for purchase, or look up the power names.
      - Adding OWNED to the command will list all of the owned powers and what 
items they are placed on.
ARTEFACT POWER SHOW <power>
- Show the details of an artefact power
ARTEFACT POWER BUY <power> FOR <item> [LEVEL <level>]
- Purchase an artefact power directly for an item.
- For multi-level powers, specify which level with the LEVEL <level> addition.
- Investing a power on a different item will have a 25cr fee.
      - Can be placed on crafted tailoring/jewellery items, or items that 
already reset to you.
      - In the event the tailoring/jewellery item is not already non-
decay/resetting, the cost to make it non-decay and resetting will be
      added to the cost of the artefact power purchase (50cr for non-decay, and 
50cr for resetting).
ARTEFACT <power> UPGRADE -or- ARTEFACT <item> UPGRADE
      - To upgrade an existing artefact power to the next level (for multi-level 
powers)
      - You may specify to upgrade the item the power is assigned to if it is 
the only multi-level power on that item.
ARTEFACT POWER TRANSFER <power> FROM <item#1> TO <item#2>
- Transfer a power to a different item.
- Transferring a power to a different item will have a 25cr fee.
      - When transferring a power off a regular purchasable artefact, the 
original item will be destroyed.
      - The additional costs for non-decaying and resetting on the target item 
will also be applied if they are not present.
      Invested artefact powers will be shown when you PROBE the item, and if the 
original artefact was required to be worn, so will the power.
      There is no change to the effects of the Orb of Suppression artefact/power,
 it will continue to hide all purchasable artefact items, but will show regular 
items that have artefact powers invested on them.
Penned by My hand on the 19th of Chronos, in the year 700 AF.

So what do you all I think? I think this is an amazing change! Any other things you'd like to see added? I would love to see this added to shop of wonder items! Just a few artefacts I'd like to see added, though there could always be more...

Terrin'ukia's Monocle
a pitted ankh
a Veil of the Libertine
a Shadowcloak
a scrying bowl (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
a gem of cloaking (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
a polished skull (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
a greater viewing glass (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
an Aeonic hourglass (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
an enchanted pebble
a clasp of vocal intensity
..... and many more!
(Precendence for the ones that don't need to be wielded can be justified in that the warp stick is investable.)

I do have some questions, though.

1.) Is there a limit on how many powers one item can hold?
2.) If this gets expanded to something like top hats, backpacks, etc... could you combine those for more capacity in one?
What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Comments

• edited December 2015
    And talismans. I really want the azatlan headdress effect, but I don't want to wear a headdress.

This is awesome!

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Actually, having earrings of Sinope added for people who aren't covered in them (like Jhui or Silvarien) would be nice... I like to switch out earrings for outfits, but I feel so overdressed all the time with a new pair, plus my Order earring, plus an earring of Sinope, and I want to get another.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Kayeil said:
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #4478                                     (12/13/2015 at 02:57)  
    <snip>

So what do you all I think? I think this is an amazing change! Any other things you'd like to see added? I would love to see this added to shop of wonder items! Just a few artefacts I'd like to see added, though there could always be more...

Terrin'ukia's Monocle
    a pitted ankh
    a Veil of the Libertine
    a Shadowcloak
    a scrying bowl (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
    a gem of cloaking (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
    a polished skull (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
    a greater viewing glass (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
    an Aeonic hourglass (because it doesn't need to be wielded or shown)
    an enchanted pebble
    a clasp of vocal intensity
    ..... and many more!
    (Precendence for the ones that don't need to be wielded can be justified in that the warp stick is investable.)

I do have some questions, though.

1.) Is there a limit on how many powers one item can hold?
    2.) If this gets expanded to something like top hats, backpacks, etc... could you combine those for more capacity in one?
    Artefact powers that are a function of the item are not able to be converted to powers, but we'll keep iterating over the list of items to make sure that there's as many as possible!

1) No limits on the number of powers on a single item.
    2) No plans to offer it for containers at the moment, but I can see some interesting possibilities here in the future.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    A sigil of suppression currently costs 3 crowns. It will trade in for 10 bound credits.

:(

I bought this specifically to hide one item that now has an investable power.

Can we now address the horrible trade-in prices of SoW items? I'd take a tradein price of 2 crowns for a 3MC item, but not a measily 10 bound CR. Even if you got the crown by a shiptrade, it would still cost more than 3CR worth of gold for the cargo and time spent sailing.

• edited December 2015
    I've always been wary of buying SoW items because of the non tradein thing, but it is something we've always known about so I don't think it's unfair. They used to trade in for nothing. Wouldn't be complaining if they did trade in for something reasonable though!

Sigil of suppression I don't own, but I hope they'd be offering a refund on them at least in bound crowns.

• Finally I can have my codpiece of strength.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
    Skye said:
    A sigil of suppression currently costs 3 crowns. It will trade in for 10 bound credits.

:(

I bought this specifically to hide one item that now has an investable power.

Can we now address the horrible trade-in prices of SoW items? I'd take a tradein price of 2 crowns for a 3MC item, but not a measily 10 bound CR. Even if you got the crown by a shiptrade, it would still cost more than 3CR worth of gold for the cargo and time spent sailing.
    No plans to offer greater trade-ins for Shop of Wonders items, no. They had no trade-in value for many years, and I recently just added that in for -something- in the event that you have absolutely no use for. You're free to keep it for another item you may need in the future though! Will still continue to do its function until the end of time.
    Yeah the Shop of Wonders items can be regrets later on. Wish I could trade in my shard vice.

Random question not related to the above: The rams horn isn't  necessary in lesser or dragon for people level 99+, is it? If not, I suppose I'm going to have mine deleted because it's just excess I'm carrying around.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Brb, investing my nipplerings with 20 different artefact powers
    Krypton said:
    Brb, investing my nipplerings with 20 different artefact powers
    Just be careful with those bracers of fire powers, don't want to singe that chest hair casting firelash.
  • @Kayeil the rams horns trade in for 10 credits.

• This is a really cool idea, glad it's finally in right as I'm starting to get some actual arties.
    Just I just realized I can turn it in for 10 credits, but still... As being over level 99, I don't need it in lesser or dragon, right?

• I was saving up to do this the old way (700cr per item). I appreciate that my cost has dropped in half for my mega arti.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Kayeil said:
    Just I just realized I can turn it in for 10 credits, but still... As being over level 99, I don't need it in lesser or dragon, right?
    Level 99 grants you the ability to shout at any time in dragon. At level 100, you're granted the same power for lesserform. So as long as you are at least level 100, ram's horns are completely unnecessary.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I'm assuming there's a command to trade in powers that I've missed.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited December 2015
    Kayeil said:
    Ninja'd

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Trey said:
    I'm assuming there's a command to trade in powers that I've missed.
    ARTEFACT <power|item#> TRADEIN will work as normal.

• Does this finally mean I can artie a set of armour?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Please at least add the Veil of the Libertine.  o:)

Atalkez said:
    Does this finally mean I can artie a set of armour?
    Nope, can't apply powers to armour or weapons.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Funny enough (despite not owning the artefact nor ever intending to), the veil of the libertine was the first shop of wonders thing to pop to mind, too.

I'm really excited for the change! It's been a long-time coming and one of those things I've been looking forward to.

I'm really curious, @Tecton - will it at all ever be possible in the future to combine artefacts that have particular powers (gem of cloaking, earring, that sort of thing) into other artefacts at all?

Also time to start considering what I do and don't want to consolidate, which is going to be a terrifying task because I have to consider some items I truly love but may not be appropriate to have anymore. Effing feels right now.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited December 2015
    Might want to look at changing the vibrating stick message. I transferred the power off the stick to another item, but the message it gives is still "you reach out with the vibrating stick to probe for a wormhole..." even though technically I don't have a vibrating stick any more. It should probably be "you reach out with <insertitemhere> to probe for a wormhole..." instead now.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Would love to be able to transfer the wyrmskin pack and dragonskin quiver onto other similar items. I have resetting gear from when I was a Dawnstrider I would love to use instead.

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    This is one of my favorite news posts ever. No longer does Kasya have to wear a sash and seven rings. However RIP customised items that I customised just for aesthetic reasons that I'm now just going to combine into one or two items. (Not even mad, good riddance belt, gauntlets, talismans, amulet, etc...)
  • edited December 2015
    Tecton said:
    Atalkez said:
    Does this finally mean I can artie a set of armour?
    Nope, can't apply powers to armour or weapons, but artefact armour should be live soon!
    FTFY @Tecton.

EDIT: I'm not still bitter about my fullplate -you're- still bitter about my fullplate.

• Transferring the flight power away from a ring of flying seems to break something. The message changes to "you flap your wings powerfully..." instead of "the ring of shining metal carries you up into the skies" but the balance time also seems to be noticeably longer, as if you only had regular flight rather than the faster ring of flying.

05:30:36.53 7714h|100%|5844m|100%|97%e 100%w| cdbk|dex |   - 
    You begin to flap your wings powerfully, and rise quickly up into the firmament.
    Flying above The highest point on the island (road).
    The sun beats down oppressively upon the land, banishing any moisture beneath its rays.
    You see exits leading east and south.
    05:30:42.76 7714h|100%|5844m|100%|98%e 100%w| cdbk|de |   - 
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    05:30:46.52 7714h|100%|5844m|100%|98%e 100%w| cdbk|dex |   - 

That's a long balance time, even with nimble.

@Tecton

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Sarathai said:
    Transferring the flight power away from a ring of flying seems to break something. The message changes to "you flap your wings powerfully..." instead of "the ring of shining metal carries you up into the skies" but the balance time also seems to be noticeably longer, as if you only had regular flight rather than the faster ring of flying.

05:30:36.53 7714h|100%|5844m|100%|97%e 100%w| cdbk|dex |   - 
    You begin to flap your wings powerfully, and rise quickly up into the firmament.
    Flying above The highest point on the island (road).
    The sun beats down oppressively upon the land, banishing any moisture beneath its rays.
    You see exits leading east and south.
    05:30:42.76 7714h|100%|5844m|100%|98%e 100%w| cdbk|de |   - 
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    05:30:46.52 7714h|100%|5844m|100%|98%e 100%w| cdbk|dex |   - 

That's a long balance time, even with nimble.

@Tecton

Drop a bug in, and we'll get it fixed up!
    Hmm. What about the Greater Viewing Glass? That was helpful in seeing what artefacts people were wearing from long distances, but now it'd just be to see descriptions which is less useful... any way you might be able to let the greater one detect artefact powers, or have some other kind of functionality to justify the high cost?