The new houses and their role in the modern day Achaea

Comments

• Tahquil said:
    The houses are going to be whatever the players put into them.
    This is the only thing that really needs to be said regarding Houses.

Throughout Achaea's history the good houses (and cities) have always had one ultra dedicated and intelligent person pushing their progress, or a small group of highly dedicated people (2-3 people). There might be exceptions to this, but it is true most of the time.

I'm not saying Achaea doesn't have dedicated or intelligent players right now, but the people who made particular houses great in the past are not around right now, and the people around now are not filling their shoes (in most cases. I don't have experience currently with every house).

• Combat? In the Mojushai?

Dude, when I was in the Mojushai, I learned combat from a Mhaldorian.
  • That it was never a particularly successful path is my point (though we had a few notable people over the years). The Mojushai obviously had a combat section, and it was required for advancement, but because only a small section of people involved were ever interested it couldn't develop the infrastructure needed to really be a great source of teaching. The people who were interested in combat are now with the other people who are interested in combat, which is better for creating that sort of environment.

The weakness of the old house system was that it's nearly impossible to try and fit every playstyle into one house and have them all be well supported. The weakness to the new system is that it's hard to fit every character archetype that might be interested into a playstyle into one house and create any sort of focused identity. The goals of the new houses and the old are simply fundamentally different.
  • Ryzeth said:

I disagree, personally. As Reiloch said the Ashtani ones in particular have pretty clear goals and such that they've been working towards. Savants seem like they're still in a bit of a slump since Morro disappeared as soon as they were formed. Ariettie might be working on that (hopefully) - Regarding the whole 'wisp of memory' thing, I think that's because older houses had been around for something close to a decade. Things take time and effort to return to that.

Eh, the Savants being a little slow moving forward has a lot more to do with being one of the least populated Houses. We got most of the 'scholarly' types, who incidentally are also the ones who felt the impact of losing all of that lore the hardest, so we have a lot of older dormant players as members at the moment. We've been putting a lot of hard work in to establishing ourselves, and it's starting to really pay off now that we have a core group of very dedicated members who log in nearly every day and work on shaping the House in to what we all know it can be. But let's be honest, it's really no surprise that the Vanguard is the only House that really hit the ground running in Ashtan. We have a (not particularly deserved, if you ask me) reputation of being the city who caters to combatants and not much else, and breaking that inertia is going to take real effort on the part of the Savants and the Consortium.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    The Hashan Renaissance events were spot on and took a lot of player driven content and made it canon. So in that regard, I see absolutely no disconnect with Hashan's history and lore going forward, except maybe the death of the Serpentlords, which still makes me tear up to this day, such a waste.

However, while the Somatikos seems to be doing well, pulling the more combat oriented players, the more scholarly house, the Krymenian Academy seems to be struggling a bit. Although I faded from the scene after its founding, like a dead-beat dad, I can see some of the same symptoms other have described in this thread. The Academy has been given an amazing platform to launch off in the Wellspring and its legacy from the Crown Institute, but it seems to still lack a firm direction anyway. Not because it does not have a mission, but because it is not exactly sure how to execute it. I would surmise this is for two main reasons:

1) As has been said, despite looking really cool on paper, there is so much that goes into the culture and atmosphere of a house that make it cohesive and engrossing. A lot of the Houses are just not there yet. Leaders specifically, but all members, need to be intently developing customs and traditions that will build unity and common identity among its members. This is not something that happens over night, nor should it. Likewise, as Cooper said, I think the Houses do need more visionaries than bureaucrats. Yes, you need a good(but flexible) structure early on, but you need a charismatic leader ushering players forward in it.

2) More specifically for my House, I think when losing all that history behind the old Houses, many expected the new to have the same weight, authority, and prestige instantaneously that the old had. While the house has some old, wise, and experienced members, we should not expect to open our doors claiming to be experts in every field. What's the fun in "Welcome to the Krymenian Academy, we opened last year, but we already know everything about everything."? There needs to be room for development, growth, and investment!

"Oh, you're a magi? Great! We need to train someone up in our ways who can study elemental forces for our ends!"

"But I am only a novice! What can I do?"

"So very much! With the rigorous education you will gain here, and your latent elemental powers, we can learn much about the Wellspring! Your research will be foundational to our work here!"

"Wow that's an amazing opportunity! When can I start?"
  • edited December 2015
    Elowin said:
    Combat? In the Mojushai?

Garao is offended, @Elowin.
  • edited December 2015
    Jovolo said:
    Elowin said:
    Combat? In the Mojushai?

Garao is offended, @Elowin.
    Oh, I forgot about that guy! Hellooo~! @Sliff kinda took over a bit, being all 

at Elowin.

/derail
  • How dare you
  • I do think that a lot of orgs could use a do-over.
  • I don't like the new houses. I think that new directions and lore are hard to write when you have 20-30 people disagreeing on how it should work and no patron for your city, let alone your house. Ashtan really needs a direction other than "Chaos." The event was awesome and then it was just kinda like have fun! without any real cohesion or staunch lore. Maybe I'm just too busy to sit down and bug people into RPing, but I don't like the new houses much right now. They're boring and feel forced.
  • I think Mhaldor mostly just took giant hits from losing their Houses. The Congregation, Naga and Maldaathi were great. The Ebon Fist were also doing way better thematically once forestals were gone.

On the other hand, most of the Hashani I communicate with OOCly have said that they totally love the new Houses.

In the end, there's pretty much no reason that a House can't have a great sense of purpose allowing lots of classes into them and all, but in practice it doesn't seem to work that way. It definitely helped a lot in the Naga that the shadow assassin is a pretty universal archetype. People could fall into character very easily and derive some identity from it. It worked similarly in the Maldaathi I think -- you had to learn simple stuff like the Seven Truths, but people have a rough idea of how evil knights act intuitively.

It sounds like(for the most part) the Houses that benefited most from the deletion were the ones that (it sounds like) totally sucked anyway or were otherwise bogged down with ineffective leadership and awful historical grievances within the House. For all the negative stuff though, Targossas fortunately has some really driven people pushing for progress right now. It sounds like Hashan does too, and Mhaldor always will as long as Jurixe is breathing. I just think a lot of stuff was lost that didn't need to be lost.
  • Tvistor said:
    The Ebon Fist were also doing way better thematically once forestals were gone.

*pouts*

More seriously, I haven't had too much experience with the new Mhaldorian houses aside from the initial impressions, but even at their best it seems like the loss of the old houses is still pretty devastating. I think Mhaldor especially benefitted from smaller rp groups that one could be a part of (as many people have pointed out, finding good groups to be a part of is pretty essential to enjoying Mhaldor). The new houses may just be too big/unfocused to really foster the same sort of close-knit atmosphere, or maybe that'll just take longer to come together.

And while I've only experienced Hashan second hand from a friend who started up there, it feels like the biggest difference there was that there were just fewer houses period in the end. The Black Lotus and Spiritwalkers (and their alchemy institute, really) seemed like neat rp groups, but they clearly didn't appeal to everyone, and led to a large number of houseless citizens or citizens that were a part of non-hashani houses. That, and Mhaldor had house and city culture interacting in really solid ways, where Hashan seems to have had more trouble then not with houses feeling independent from the city. So I'm not surprised people there love the new houses, though I suspect it's not because the losses of the old houses were less significant, rather that the new houses were much better for the city on a fundamental level.

• edited December 2015
    I don't care for or believe in the new Houses at all. They are boring and they feel forced. They seem to have been arbitrarily thrown into the game for no good reason other than the idea that we need there to be Houses because there used to be Houses.

I as a player don't know what some of them are supposed to be, even after I've spoken directly to the leadership.

With only one exception, I have never interacted with a single person since the renaissance who was even remotely enthusiastic about their House. Most are in the House they are in either by default or because they flipped a coin between two equally bland options.

I was never really a "lore" person, but I will say that the loss of the old Houses has made about 80% of Achaea's player-driven history completely irrelevant. That sure doesn't inspire me to want to throw my creative juices into building a new House from the ground up. Especially when many of the archetypes that serve as their foundations are so weak and poorly defined, and the Gods that serve as their patrons are totally inactive.

I began playing right at the start of the renaissance so I really only got a small taste of what the old system was like. For that reason I can't make a fair comparison. I can only say that I as a player have zero interest in the system as it is currently, and I sincerely hope that changes in the future. I would really like to find a group on the game that I can actually become invested in. I suspect however that it will take many real world years before these new Houses attain the level of immersive depth necessary for that, and I doubt I'll still be playing by the time it happens. Hope I'm wrong.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Why do people keep saying the old houses and their histories are irrelevant? Obviously Shallam was wiped clean, but have other cities actively tried to erase the existence of their prior houses from history? In Cyrene, we enshrined and lionized our old Houses. Their estates are now open to visit, our guards are still modeled after them, and I feel like their influence lingers in the three new organizations. We reference and draw upon their lore often. Is that not the case elsewhere?
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited December 2015
    As a player, that started over a year ago, I disagree with the sweeping statement that houses are "boring" and "uninspired". If you cannot find players invested in their houses, then you are not hanging around the right ones. I certainly did not "flip a coin" between two bland options and I actually enjoy lore.

What I'm finding the problem is with the transitioning is the "good ol' days" mindset. It was extremely hard for me during my newbiedom days to "click" in Cyrene, because it felt like the "older" players were dreary 75% of the time. My excitement for Cyrene and its houses plummeted within two RL months of me joining. Any starry-eyed newbie is going to get worn down with that attitude. They have no idea what the houses were like before, they are focused on the present.

I love my current house and rocked through the requirements extremely quickly because it was so fascinating and I had a mentor that was OPTIMISTIC. She always had something good to say about the house and put a lot of effort in showing me ways to help after I became a full member. She engaged me in the cause, which is so so important.

If the house is not something you -love-, ask yourself why you're still doing it? Do you just need a break? Then take one! Hell, I've had to just to renew my interests. Noone should willingly be draining their souls for a game. The new people will thank you for it!
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited December 2015
    Aerek said:
    Why do people keep saying the old houses and their histories are irrelevant? Obviously Shallam was wiped clean, but have other cities actively tried to erase the existence of their prior houses from history? In Cyrene, we enshrined and lionized our old Houses. Their estates are now open to visit, our guards are still modeled after them, and I feel like their influence lingers in the three new organizations. We reference and draw upon their lore often. Is that not the case elsewhere?
    I was somewhat sad that I did not learn about Cyrene's lore when I could. By that time, I was pratically a Targossian and more interested in their history due to the diaspora. I think if I wasn't so disillusioned at the time, I'd have read into it more but can't really change that now.  I'm seeing parts of Cyrene's history intertwined with the forestal's which is cool to see how everything pieces together. Like the forest spirit Propasia losing her forest to the building of Cyrene and then being rebirthed as Artemis 100 some odd years later.
  • edited December 2015
    The new houses aren't really so horrible as people are saying, yeah. A lot of it is just nostalgia.

The biggest losses from the rennaissance came from the uniquely focused and well-defined houses like the naga, maldaathi, dawnstriders, occultists, and (I dread saying this) the ashura. If we're honest, few other houses were more than just a glorified clan, which is what the new houses are accused of being. You can't honestly tell me some of the houses that allowed every class and had no real lore were a loss to the game.

The problem, of course, is that people can grow attached even to glorified clans. I understand why the renn happened, but the way it was handled was maybe not entirely ideal because of people's attachments. A lot of people are going to just feel devastated about their old houses disappearing, and I've noticed a lot of players from the houses I mentioned earlier just basically seem to have stopped playing entirely.

Right now, most of the new houses are fine as a starting block. I think Targossas has too many houses for its population, but otherwise most cities came out well with their new houses it seems. A bigger problem has been the execution, in that a lot of people just abandoned ship as soon as the new houses were made, and obviously that's going to leave a lack of culture for each house.

• Jinsun said:
    I don't like the new houses. I think that new directions and lore are hard to write when you have 20-30 people disagreeing on how it should work and no patron for your city, let alone your house. Ashtan really needs a direction other than "Chaos." The event was awesome and then it was just kinda like have fun! without any real cohesion or staunch lore. Maybe I'm just too busy to sit down and bug people into RPing, but I don't like the new houses much right now. They're boring and feel forced.
    While I thoroughly disagree on the new Houses, I'm with you one hundred percent on the patron thing. We're a factionalized city now, and without a Divine to back us there's really only so much we can do. Because of the new direction, we will absolutely languish if there's not a staunchly pro-Chaos deity around to legitimize our presence and stance in the world. I'm pretty sure that something is in the works to rectify this situation, because the designers seem pretty on the ball about these sorts of things, but until that happens we'll all be pretty anxious.
  • This is an interesting thread with very polarized reactions.

I think you can boil it down to people enjoying having a foundation to build an identity on versus being responsible for building that foundation. I find it refreshing, and from what I've read the end-game events for the old houses was a lot of fun. That said, I don't envy the job this generation of house leaders have before them. I expect to see high turnover in those positions until someone with a passion and the time to implement that passion swoops in.

Growing pains are always a thing during a renaissance.
  • Tvistor said:
    I think Mhaldor mostly just took giant hits from losing their Houses. The Congregation, Naga and Maldaathi were great. The Ebon Fist were also doing way better thematically once forestals were gone.

On the other hand, most of the Hashani I communicate with OOCly have said that they totally love the new Houses.

In the end, there's pretty much no reason that a House can't have a great sense of purpose allowing lots of classes into them and all, but in practice it doesn't seem to work that way. It definitely helped a lot in the Naga that the shadow assassin is a pretty universal archetype. People could fall into character very easily and derive some identity from it. It worked similarly in the Maldaathi I think -- you had to learn simple stuff like the Seven Truths, but people have a rough idea of how evil knights act intuitively.

It sounds like(for the most part) the Houses that benefited most from the deletion were the ones that (it sounds like) totally sucked anyway or were otherwise bogged down with ineffective leadership and awful historical grievances within the House. For all the negative stuff though, Targossas fortunately has some really driven people pushing for progress right now. It sounds like Hashan does too, and Mhaldor always will as long as Jurixe is breathing. I just think a lot of stuff was lost that didn't need to be lost.
    My Naga seems very lost and without any real purpose when he came back to no house. He joined one of the two new ones, but it rankles to have to start requirements again and essentially be a 300 yr old newbie, even though he got fast tracked to HR3. New ethos, new goals and while I admit that the change can be beneficial to stop things stagnating, I don't think it suited Mhaldor.

Hashan. Yes, it's brought the city together, instead of houses enemying each other (BL and SL) there does seem to be a common goal now and a sense of player unity. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Jinsun said:
    I don't like the new houses. I think that new directions and lore are hard to write when you have 20-30 people disagreeing on how it should work and no patron for your city, let alone your house. Ashtan really needs a direction other than "Chaos." The event was awesome and then it was just kinda like have fun! without any real cohesion or staunch lore. Maybe I'm just too busy to sit down and bug people into RPing, but I don't like the new houses much right now. They're boring and feel forced.
    I felt the same as they were rolling things out after the event, that there could have been a little more foundation or backstory for the new houses but being a bit blinded by nostalgia I decided it was time for a break.

People have already said it and the more I look back on Grom's time in the Occultists it's the people that made it worth while, and that its just a matter of encouragement of the new and younger folk who are doing good things along with some guidance from the older members and the lore will develop.
  • Sobriquet said:
    Hashan. Yes, it's brought the city together, instead of houses enemying each other (BL and SL) there does seem to be a common goal now and a sense of player unity. 
    RIP Black Lotus - Serpentlord wars. They were definitely terrible for the city itself, but are still some of my favorite memories from my time playing my old main!

• Aerek said:
    Yeah, we kind of had ours all set on fire and demolished in our event. 
    So they have literally been wiped off the map in Ashtan. 

• I'm curious, I know the Naga and Maldaathi formed clans post-renaissance, would anyone be willing to explain how that worked out? I've been pretty curious, but didn't want to go alt just to find out.
  • Khaibit said:
    Aerek said:
    Yeah, we kind of had ours all set on fire and demolished in our event. 
    So they have literally been wiped off the map in Ashtan. 
    When ones house falls into a lake of lava, it truly is set on fire -and- demolished
  • Yeah I do not know the obsession with checklist requirements, especially on people who are obviously not newbies, and who've obviously done all the same style requirements a dozen times before.
  • edited December 2015
    Honestly, regardless of my feelings on multiclass, I would probably still be playing right now were it not for that. I still occasionally think of coming back, but then I remember that I'd still be made to go through that crap and my mind changes pretty quickly.
  • Tael said:
    Honestly, regardless of my feelings on multiclass, I would probably still be playing right now were it not for that. I still occasionally think of coming back, but then I remember that I'd still be made to go through that crap and my mind changes pretty quickly.
    Depending on what your goals are...