Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Family Names/RP - continued from derailment in Dais thread

1235»

Comments

• TahquilTahquil Posts: 3,512 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Oh, sorry. I thought it was obvious I was refuting the validity of your comparison. If a bad priest situation rises of course noone is going to tell Targossas 'why don't you be more appealing', they have the ability to just kick people to the curb with excommunicate.

I think that the Knight comparison is better. It encapsulates the impotence of the situation, being annoyed but unable to do anything about it. It's like yelling at another player they can't possibly call themselves a knight because they didn't go through the same institute/program as you did.
    AnedhelJhaeli
  • LintonLinton Posts: 42 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Maybe what he(Anedhel) was trying to say is, instead of spending your mental energy on the negative things or on the people you do not like, channel it instead to the positive things and the people you do like. One can do both, but if strong feelings are there, everything(including the positive things) touched on will be coloured by the negative energy. Just a guess.
    JeslynShirszae
  • IlessiaIlessia Posts: 34
    Mishgul said:
    in the concept of Achaea, clans are organisations, which by extension, makes families organisations. Sharing a surname with someone makes you about as much as part of a family as having "X is my dad." as your motto. If you want to be an Aristata there is nothing wrong with that, but you are Aristata by choice. 
    The concept of Achaea is a game. There are rules that govern, no matter how well they are respected, that we act In Character while practicing the concept of this game. 

This is even a thread in the Roleplaying Section of the forum.

Now that we've arrived at the conclusion that we're meant to be in-role, one tends to be expected to drop hard understandings of mechanics. However, for the same reason that you already literally cannot be removed from a bloodline, we should respect them.

The point though....is this. People have great debates about the qualities of 'RP', because one group sees passively being in role as the barest minimum  (using say, using class abilities, being there at all) as being enough. The other side of the spectrum enjoys long form emoting and challenging themselves to adhere to simple roleplay rules that have been well established long before us, ie ;Metagaming, But whether you put in the bare minimum or go out of your way to be 'an RP snob' one thing is always the same:

The IC world is meant to be treated as reality to a character and we fill in all the rules of reality based on the way we know our own to be.

You can choose to believe that in the world of Achaea, families are actually formed as organizations and have nothing but a telepathic organizational channel in common, but if this was so the point of them being families would be entirely moot. 

Your family name is a construct, technically irrevocable, whether in the real world or in Achaea's 'real world'. (read: In Character). Therefore, the above example of that Player being Aristata by choice is true. It has absolutely, 110% nothing to do with that Character. The reason I'm pointing this out is because addressing it to the player is exactly pointless. The subject being discussed is Roleplay. 

Now, you spoke about the price of freedom in another post and this is the main takeaway that I see being important here. As Achaeans we have a healthy respect for the amazing level of involvement in the perpetual development of the MUD that is afforded to us as players. So much so that we go through all this theorycrafting about the mechanics, Classlead is a huge deal, etc. 

Talking about tenure in a Family, mechanics to leave it, determining legitimacy, etc, is removing that freedom that the permanency of it is achieving. For those of us RP snobs out there that want to see things simulated as closely as they should be, the permanency is the most important part. 

tl;dr

Nothing about families is leavable beside participation, whether in the real world or Achaea's virtual one. The only concept that makes any sense to debate about is that one should be bootable from the Clan. The Clan is the main source of communication. End of story. You can't extract the blood from their veins too. Please, please stop preaching the gospel of metagame. 
    Siduri
  • MelodieMelodie MhaldorPosts: 4,372 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2016
    That quote is about six months old, from a player who hasn't been active in four months, and predates Announce #4511 (which is the announcement of family clans).
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
  • KietKiet Posts: 1,582 @ - Epic Achaean
    Also, you missed the point, again, that Aristata is not a family you get into by blood relations. Not sure why this concept is so difficult for people to get.
  • AegothAegoth Posts: 1,991 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Ilessia said:
    You can't extract the blood from their veins too. 
    Oh yes you most certainly can! :D
  • IlessiaIlessia Posts: 34
    Just chalk it up to a mistake in not reading the entire thread and making assumptions. In what I -was- driving at, I'll stand by my opinion. Anything that's irrelevant or misinformed though is my bad. I haven't been around in about 8 years so 6 months seemed minor.  Don't mind me. 
    Siduri
  • NiciaNicia Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    As a person who was an Aristata, I didn't wear the name after I left Mhaldor. It wasn't really because I thought that I shouldn't though. It was because I didn't feel that I really belonged to that family anymore or that I wanted to affiliate myself with it in any way.

However, I think this. If, in real life, you are born or adopted into a family, you acquire their last name and you can't force them to change that. (Literally, you can't.) I think this is how it should be in game and people should be more careful about who they bloodline or adopt. Individuals that have taken a family name, whether disowned or not shouldn't be forced to change their name by the game or administration. This would negate any roleplay opportunities.

This is just my two cents though. I really don't care that much, but I think that the system works fine. I think that maybe you could create a bloodfeud system predicated on just this factor though.
    People need to stop thinking that Aristata has anything at all to do with bloodlines. It doesn't. Who people adopt/bloodline has absolutely nothingto do with having the Aristata name. This warped thinking is what caused problems in the first place
    Aziik
    I didn't say that it did, actually.
    thought it was implied!
    edited June 2016
    No, I was just saying that if you invite someone into a family, even if it has nothing to do with bloodlines, you run the risk of them keeping that title or family name when they leave. If that's to just piss you off, I think they could invent a bloodfeud system for that.

Incidentally, I think one of the things I miss most about Mhaldor is talking to Arador XD
    AradorSiduri
1235»
Sign In to Comment.