Wind!?

So I get that wind catching your voice is a flavour thing in high mountainous places and I am fine with that, but I really believe that a major city is definitely a place where that sort of thing shouldn't happen. Is it really intended that half of what people say in Cyrene is drowned out by wind randomly? It's not like the weather makes any mention of the wind being particularly strong or anything - if it came and went with a noticeable message like snowstorms I could see it be something people can at least know and do something about. I Bugged this back when the new weather system was first rolled out, but since nothing has come of it I figured I should ask in a forum thread.

Comments

• Wind doesn't affect indoors room, can always just go indoors. I believe Cyrene has an indoors room IN from Center Crossing no?
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Seems like it's a bit too much flavour. I mean, Ashtan's weather is vastly different from Cyrene's so I have yet to see that happen in Ashtan, so it'll be one of those things that affects some cities a lot more than others. Also sucks that the only way to negate it is to buy an artefact from the Shop of Wonders when Mayan Crowns have limited availability, and the item could be retired at any time when the admins choose to do so. I agree that it shouldn't happen in cities, or the ones affected by it should be made aware of it through some in-game message so they can know to repeat themselves.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited September 2015
    @Amranu It does, but there is a lot of the city that isn't indoors, and no other city has to put up with it. Does any other city get the complete sight-blotting snowstorms Cyrene does? We already need to put up with that, and at least it doesn't happen all the time.
  • edited September 2015
    I was at a recent performance in Caer in a closed room where the wind was drowning out what the performers were saying. It added to the overall appeal and enjoyment we all had of the event.

We just need the snowstorms and or blazing sun to blind out emotes randomly now and we'll be set! :expressionless: 
  • Hashan has to put up with it on occasion.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited September 2015
    Draekar said:
    I was at a recent performance in Caer in a closed room where the wind was drowning out what the performers were saying. It added to the overall appeal and enjoyment we all had of the event.

I really hope the first bit is sarcasm, because that was certainly not enjoyable at all...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Mhaldor (Mhaldor!) is having some wind problems too. Not too often, but occasionally it gets a bit annoying.

Which is really super weird, we're still adjusting to having anything resembling weather in Mhaldor. No rain or snow yet, but temp and wind alone is weeeeeird.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Shirszae said:
    Draekar said:

I really hope the first bit is sarcasm, because that was certainly not enjoyable at all...
    The whole thing was sarcasm...

Also Targ has some wind problems too. When do we get the anti-wind artefact?
  • edited September 2015
    Haven't noticed anything like that in Eleusis. Presumably it's protected by the forest acting as a windbreak or something. Or I'm just not logged in to see it, or whatever.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    The anti-wind artefact only keeps your voice from being drowned out. It gives no mention that you'll be able to hear other people...
  • Oh, hm. I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, just people noticing it in Cyrene, so I assumed it was only there. Sorry, for assuming it's only there. But yeah, if it could be uh.. something that comes and goes with a noticeable weather emote that'd be nice? I'd prefer it was out of cities entirely, though. If it's some sort of stab at 'realism' wind basically has to be knocking you over to drown out speaking. (PS: people can usually alter the volume of their voice to overcome environmental distractions, even on the fly!)

Alternate idea: wind doesn't just give a 'you see them speaking but can't hear them for some reason' message, but works something like 'mutter' when it's strong enough.
  • City Improvement that stops wind catching words city-wide. The Cone of Hearing.
  • What about some sort of magical field around a city which helps keep city life a little more...comfortable?
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    Sarathai said:
    Haven't noticed anything like that in Eleusis. Presumably it's protected by the forest acting as a windbreak or something. Or I'm just not logged in to see it, or whatever.
    It happens all the time in Northern Ithmia. I tried talking in my grove and apparently the wind was so strong it interrupted half of what I was saying. It's strange to resort to sending tells in one's own grove to a novice because wind is drowning everything out. I expect this high on a mountain or whatever, not in a forest.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Yeah... wind was already annoying before it got added to more locations. I like the other flavour aspects though. Sweltering in the desert, for one.
  •  @Tecton does this also apply to rooms that are classed as Trees (e.g. Eleusis), or only specifically Forest/Jungle/Urban?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Sarathai said:
     @Tecton does this also apply to rooms that are classed as Trees (e.g. Eleusis), or only specifically Forest/Jungle/Urban?
    Counts for Eleusis as well.
  • I really thought a wind break was going to lead into a fart joke.

I'm really disappointed. :(
  • I just felt like y'all were talking too much.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Jaizsur said:
    I just felt like y'all were talking too much.
    ... It's @Jaizsur!
  • SiodhachanSiodhachan Washington, USA
    When you don't know the answer to a question a higher-ranking Housemate asks you and need to buy time to look it up.

You say, "Wind."
    The earth is so good to me;
    So giving and so kind.