National Novel Writing Month

Is anyone else planning on participating in National Novel Writing Month, this year?

For those not familiar with NaNoWriMo, you basically write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days.
It's deliciously frustrating fun!

Has anyone participated in the previous years, and if so, how well did you do?
(D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Comments

• That... sounds like it would take an excruciatingly large amount of time.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Alyssea said:
    That... sounds excruciating.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Alyssea said:
    That... sounds like it would take an excruciatingly large amount of time.
    It is and it isn't. You can break it down to writing a little over 1600 words a day, which isn't really a lot.

When I wasn't working, I found I finished within 20-25 days. It was a little bit of a struggle to want to write after coming home from work though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I think I'll give it a shot if I can find time.  I can pretty easily sit down for a thousand words or so per day, though -quality- isn't assured by any means.
  • Signed up.

This may be the worst idea I've had since...ever. :D
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Collaberative three word per person story thread you say?

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I was thinking about it... BUT I've got so much other stuff on my mind that I'd probably quit halfway through -for the third time-
    meh

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I did quite well for my first two years, but I didn't participate last year. November came around before I realised and I was just far too busy to devote the time.

Novel: Lingering Darkness
    Word Count: 50,425

Novel: The Shalaeran Dreamers: Secrets of the Seer
    Word Count: 53,106

I've really missed writing and I think I am going to look forward to the grind. If anything, my need to succeed at anything I try my hand at won't let me give up for more than a few hours.
    I can't speak for my state of mind in a few weeks time though.

Good luck, @Chryenth!

• 50,000 words is nothing. Actually finishing something when you've hit the 200K+ mark and suddenly get a five year writer block is another.

And I've never done NoNaWriMo before... mostly because I can't write on demand.

... I've never actually EVER finished writing a story before. I either get writer's block on the story, or I get inspiration for a new one and move on to that(rinse and repeat). S'great hobby, though.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    50,000 words within a 30 day limit is quite a lot for most people. Granted there are a few folks that will write two or three novels in the next month, the majority of entrants will drop out before they reach the half way mark.

Personally I enjoy the challenge because writing blocks simply aren't acceptable. It's another form of creative writing exercise and the unpolished material is there for me to work on whenever I wish. I will likely end up re-writing a lot of what I write but November is all about writing and not editing.

@Daklore, I hope you get your inspiration back. :)

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    edited October 2012
    I haven't missed a year since 2007. It will be a challenge, with school, but I'm going to try to power through it.

@Chryenth, you'll manage. The first week or so is always the roughest as you try to squeeze writing into your schedule and work past the tedium of writer's block. If you've got a local group participating in the event, I'd suggest trying to go to as many write-ins as possible. I did that my first year, and it really helped to keep me focused. 

If you have a short attention span, try snatching up a programme like Dark Room. Try not to go back and edit your work until you've managed at least 1,600 words for the day - that's a definite morale-killer. Also, it isn't necessary to write your story in chronological order. If you're having trouble with one portion, but you know how you want your plot to progress, skip to another part of the story and come back to the frustrating bits later. 

Finally, remember that the point of National Novel Writing Month isn't to produce a work worthy of publication. A lot of authors deride the event because they feel it encourages amateur writers to strive for length rather than quality of content, which isn't really the case. I've scrapped every single NaNo novel I've written; if someone were to come across one and attribute it to me, I'd likely deny it with vehemence. They were all terrible. The goal of NaNo is to raise literature awareness, and to encourage writers to write something. It's essentially a worldwide writing workshop; not a fast track to the top of the New York Times bestseller list. If you don't manage the 50,000-word minimum, it's no big deal.

Once I get home, I'll post links to a bunch of the resources that have helped to keep me going through past Novembers. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one gearing up for the torture.

My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • It's good to see there are other Achaeans getting involved. Including some of the most respected literary figures active in the game (IMHO).

Guess it's time to start working on plotlines. :)
  • I was going to sit it out this year, but the nerdiness is tempting. Now all I have to do is come up with a story!
  • I've tried it a few times before but never managed to finish. Might try it again this year, as there isn't too much else I can do these days and I'm going on mat leave in a couple days. :P

If I do get started, an online write-in might be a good idea too. Or at least a nicely distracting chatroom where we can all motivate each to do less chatting and more writing.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• I actually haven't completed one, yet, but all of the hype is nice. If you're on Facebook, you can join the group for your region and talk to people there about it and whatnot for motivation.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I still kick myself for not participating last year. I don't even have any valid excuses.

My region has a few really awesome folk in it.

• I didn't participate last year, either, for no reason other than I just felt rather terrible.
  • Just out of interest, is anyone else following NaNoWordSprints on Twitter?