Newbie.. sort of

I am new to Achaea but I played Gemstone a long long time ago. I LOVE text-based rp. I'm thrilled to find this place. The emote system is totally different, though.. and it is taking me a while to get a handle on it. I think it will be marvelous when I'm more comfortable with it. Right now, I'm afraid to do more than 'SAY' for fear I'll get it wrong and disrupt someone else's immersion. I practiced a bit with the smelly drunken pygmy lady tonight. What I saw was something like.. Magierrah emotes (whatever it was) . I think that's what I read.. but I've been up all night trying to figure some of this out and I could be remembering it incorrectly. At any rate, it looked odd to me.. and scared me a bit, so I was afraid to use it with another player. I also need to learn Mudlet to develop some shortcuts to all the typing. At any rate, please be a bit patient with me while I figure all this out. I'll do my very best not to disrupt your immersion.

Comments

• Welcome to Achaea. You can throw yourself into things, really. Most people are generally pretty forgiving in that respect, particularly if you're new.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited August 2015
    @Magierrah what you see and what they see is different, for example if I would type

Emote gives $Magierrah a friendly pat on the back.

I would see : You have emoted : Tharvis gives Magierrah a friendly pat on the back.
    you would see : Tharvis gives you a friendly pat on the back.
    others would see : Tharvis gives Magierrah a friendly pat on the back.

Yes, it'll take some practice and some getting used to, but the flexibility it offers is nearly endless
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Only you see the "You have emoted:" part. So if you enter "emote looks around", everyone else in the room would just see "Magierrah looks around."
  • "Yes, it'll take some practice and some getting used to, but the flexibility it offers is nearly endless" . (Can't get the quote option to work, yet) I can see how it can be amazing, once I get the hang of it. And I do understand that what I see will be different from what others see. I wish I'd kept a log so I could post what the system said but.. no.. I didn't. And I'm too tired to remember it accurately. Ah well.. I'll practice more tomorrow! That smelly pygmy is gonna get tired of me babbling to her before I'm done. I still haven't found her yummy drink yet, anway.
  • Most people will be rather cool with fumbles and mistakes. Just relax and take it a step at a time.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I love a fumble... oh, sorry, not that kind!

There's plenty of people around who are willing to help you with Mudlet, although don't write off the IRE client, you may find that does what you need, and you can script for it too.

As for emoting, dive right in. I'd far rather see someone trying to emote and getting it wrong than someone who doesn't bother to try. Practice makes perfect!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited August 2015
    Tahquil said:
    Most people will be rather cool with fumbles and mistakes. Just relax and take it a step at a time.
    Seriously. @Tahquil is still figuring out $Person_his and $Person_hiss, but I still tolerate her.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Aerek said:
    Tahquil said:
    Most people will be rather cool with fumbles and mistakes. Just relax and take it a step at a time.
    Seriously. @Tahquil is still figuring out $Person_his and $Person_hiss, but I still tolerate her.
    cheatsheet in notepad. Helps alot
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• OH IT'S WITH TWO 'SS'
  • Welcome @Magierrah! We are so glad you are here! Emoting can take a little practice, but our players are a pretty friendly lot willing to help. And as @Klendathusaid, just keep at it -  we all love people like you willing to jump right in! :) 
  • HELP EMOTELIST might help you, it's a giant list of preset emotes.

If you want to see what an emote would look like, you can also use SHOWEMOTE <emote> to privately see exactly what it will show to yourself and others before you use it!
  • Does SHOWEMOTE work with custom emotes or just the preset ones?
  • edited August 2015
    Tecton said:
    Indeed it does!

For example:

showemote emote hangs $tecton_his coat on the coat rack.

Never knew that.
    Life = 50 times easier now.

Now I can think about all those times when I was too scared to press enter in fear that my emote will come out wrong. :chuffed: 
  • .. my first emote goes to showemote, and when I enter the same emote again, it's sent. Helps with the late night Achaea-ing a little bit. :proud: 
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • Showemote! Great tip! Thanks! And thanks for the encouraging comments.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Tecton said:
    Indeed it does!

For example:

showemote emote hangs $tecton_his coat on the coat rack.

Never knew this. I love you guys. 

Magierrah said:
    Showemote! Great tip! Thanks! And thanks for the encouraging comments.
    Welcome to Achaea. You've joined Ashtan at a really good time. Seems like RP should be picking up there.
  • Yae said:
    .. my first emote goes to showemote, and when I enter the same emote again, it's sent. Helps with the late night Achaea-ing a little bit. :proud: 
    I WANT THIS. (Seriously you should make a thread in script help for this and share)
  • edited August 2015

Untested, but this should work for Mudlet.

Script:
    emoting = emoting or {}
    emoting.emote = function(emote)
        if emoting.lastemote == emote then
            send(emote, false)
        else
            emoting.lastemote = emote
            send("showemote " .. emote, false)
        end
    end

Alias:
    Pattern: ^emote (.+)$
    Code: emoting.emote(matches[2])

• Looking at that again, that won't work. My initial intention was to just use Mudlet's variable "command" in the alias code, but when mentally moving it to a function I didn't account for no longer having the "emote " part of what was typed into the command line. Easiest change is to just make the emoting.emote(matches[2]) line emoting.emote(command) instead.
  • I.. uh...

YAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEE.
  • I would like to add that you can emote INSTEAD of certain actions as well.

For example: (item: a black hat, container: a leather backpack)

get hat from pack: rummages around in @container for a bit before pulling out @thing
    give hat to tahquil: (with a flourish,) presents @thing to $tahquil

would show:

Trevize rummages around in a leather backpack for a bit before pulling out a black hat.
    With a flourish, Trevize presents a black hat to Tahquil.

Yet it would also get the hat out and give it! This works with lots of things, including DRAW, SHEATHE, GET <x>, GET <x> FROM <x>, PUT <x> IN <x>, DROP, GIVE, and more!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • and I would see --
    With a flourish, Trevize presents a black hat to you.
  • YaeYae
    edited August 2015
    My script is really basic, and I keep breaking the code box. :anguished: 

Alias
    Pattern: ^(?:em) (.+)$

Script:

if emoty == nil then
    send("showemote emote " ..matches[2])
    emoty = matches[2]

elseif emoty ~= matches[2] then
    emoty = matches[2]

elseif emoty == matches[2] then
    send("emote " .. emoty)
    emoty = nil

end

If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    I really liked this,  and decided to add my own flare to it to simplify slightly.  My take on @Yae's script:

Alias
    Pattern: ^(?:em) (.+)$

Script:

emoty = emoty or "none"

if emoty ~= matches[2] or emoty == "none" then
    emoty = matches[2]

elseif emoty == matches[2] then
    send("emote " .. emoty)
    emoty = nil

end

• edited August 2015
    Yae said:
    My script is really basic, and I keep breaking the code box. :anguished: 

Alias
    Pattern: ^em +(.+)$
    There's no reason to have the em in a group. The only reason to use a non-capturing group like that is if you want to quantify something with ?/*/+. And putting a + after the space like this means that if you accidentally type more than one space after the em, it won't end up as part of the emote.

Script:
    if emoty == matches[2] then
        send("emote " .. emoty)
    else send("showemote emote " .. matches[2]) emoty = matches[2]
    end

Simplified a little bit and formatted in a code block. You don't need to test for nil because emoty already won't equal matches[2] if emoty is nil. I took out the part where it sets emoty to nil right before the else in case you need to repeat an emote for some reason, but if you don't want that, you can just throw "emoty = nil" in right before the else.

• I am sooo hopeless with computers. I'm an artist/musician and computers seem like some sort of magic to me. I'm totally right-brained. So, just copy these scripts and put them in my Mudlet and try them out? How am I ever going to learn this stuff? yikes
  • I can sympathize with that sentiment. I still haven't figured out how to use variables. Every time anyone in the room takes gold from a canvas backpack, my antitheft reflexes trigger.
  • Reiloch said:
    I can sympathize with that sentiment. I still haven't figured out how to use variables. Every time anyone in the room takes gold from a canvas backpack, my antitheft reflexes trigger.
    I actually wrote up how to do basic antitheft for both Mudlet and HTML5 here: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/3800/html-5-anti-theif

The Mudlet one is at the bottom, the HTML5 one is near the middle.