Place rare stock in the Shop of Wonders as alternative or supplement to the auction system

Hi there,

I think a lot of people dislike the auction system because only one person can win an often-unique item and the others feel left out, especially after a ferocious bidding war. The most recent mass land sale I think was engineered with this in mind, because while a person might not get the particular plot of land he or she wanted, they'd end up with a plot of land of some sort.

I was hoping to propose in this spirit either an alternative or supplement to the auction system via Shop of Wonders. Place a "rare" stock separate from ordinary items sold for Mayan Crowns. A person may only purchase from the rare stock once per certain age, (so once at age 150, another time at 300, 450, etc.) and only if the character was deemed to be "active." So, someone like @Achilles would be eligible. A 470 year old alt that barely played would not be. This would reward participation in Achaea and seniority.

Make the rare stock's quality on the level of auction items. Since a person can only have one of these once per one and a half century, he or she will have to choose carefully from the stock. I would recommend NOT phasing these out. So, stock that's created and added by the Garden stays there for good, allowing even people on a budget to save up for them long-term, once they are eligible to buy. But, optionally, a person can trade in his or her existing rare stock item to be eligible to purchase another one instead. The trade-in would yield 2/3rds of the Mayan Crowns spent, returned as bound Mayan Crowns. So if the person is 150 years old and has bought one, they may trade in their existing rare-stock item to be eligible to buy another one instead.

The expense of these items should be on par with normal auction items and depend on the quality and power of the item one seeks to purchase. I don't think it should be out of bounds to charge 5,000 or 8,000 or 10,000 or 15,000 credits in Mayan Crowns for one. But, because of the system, one would no longer need to panic-purchase a titanic sum of credits on 5 rl days' notice. Though the item the person wants may cost 15,000 cr in Mayan Crowns, there is no panic to get the crowns, and one may save up for a long time without penalty. This would, again, reward participation in Achaea and player seniority and take away the negative emotions surrounding auctions in general. While these items will always be extremely rare, they won't be fully unique, so if a person is dying to have one, one may set his or her sights on it and have it some day.

This idea, if implemented, would also drastically increase the importance of Mayan Crowns, and probably boost Crown sales in the months where such a promotion is available. Crowns tend to be more expensive outside of a crown promotion, and one seeking to buy one of these items would need a bunch of them, and they'd only be sold en masse during the promotions, so more people needing them would probably buy them.

Thank you for reading my idea.

Comments

• 150 is 4 1/2 real life years. It's bloody rare for someone to stick to Achaea for that long in a row without going dormant. Even those of us who have been around for a decade tend to go dormant for a while every now and then because life gets in the way.

I very much doubt this would see any real pay-off for Achaea besides people hoarding crowns. A few very rich, very old players who have stuck to their original characters would get some nice shiny things, things that in most cases they could probably email the admin to request buying anyway. The people effected by this if you include your 'only active players' clause would really be a handful. It's not worth the coding and development time it would take to implement.

• Valkyn said:
    150 is 4 1/2 real life years. It's bloody rare for someone to stick to Achaea for that long in a row without going dormant. Even those of us who have been around for a decade tend to go dormant for a while every now and then because life gets in the way.

I very much doubt this would see any real pay-off for Achaea besides people hoarding crowns. A few very rich, very old players who have stuck to their original characters would get some nice shiny things, things that in most cases they could probably email the admin to request buying anyway. The people effected by this if you include your 'only active players' clause would really be a handful. It's not worth the coding and development time it would take to implement.
    @Valkyn : do you think there's any other way to make this work other than allow one item to be bought per 150 years? I am not really at all stuck on that particular limit, just on some sort of restriction that makes the items scarce. Auctions pull off scarcity very well, but I know a lot of people end up wanting an item who can't have it.

I thought after posting that credits might be better than crowns.
  • If you wanted to place a time limit on it that made it somewhat exclusive I'd suggest age 50/100/200, maybe 400. Nothing about dormancy. If you've been dormant most of that time you're not going to have the credits to pay for something, or you're going to be dumping a ton of cash through the website, and hey how is that a bad thing?

I really can't imagine many things I'd want to spend 1000+ credits on if it was a once off pick one (or very much later two, three, but the time it would take to get there puts it in the 'not interesting because too far away' basket for me, and probably many others) If I did put that much credits into something that had no trade-in value, I'd probably want it to be something customised, not available to anyone else over x age and a big enough horde of gold to have exactly the same.

• Silvarien said:
     Auctions pull off scarcity very well, but I know a lot of people end up wanting an item who can't have it.

That's the entire point of scarcity. ;)
  • Sarapis said:
    Silvarien said:
     Auctions pull off scarcity very well, but I know a lot of people end up wanting an item who can't have it.

That's the entire point of scarcity. ;)
    Aw, shucks.