The Itinerant Bazaar

Comments

• Really bummed I missed out on the token this round - I stopped to ask someone what it was and by the time I went to buy it they were gone. Sad day :(

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    edited June 2015
    The jar isn't resetting.

Edit: *sigh* Looks like they added a decay time to it now... :cry: 
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Debating on whether to wake up and hit the 2 AM one - which would probably feel worthwhile it if turns out that session isn't too crazy and I can actually look around and possibly buy a goodie or two, and irritating and decidedly unfun and not worth waking up in the middle of the night for if that's not the case and it's still got the usual "Black Friday at Walmart" atmosphere.   

• AeryllinAeryllin Michigan, USA
    Can anyone post any descriptions of the weapon holders?  The baldric and belthook and beltloop and those things?

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Kayeil said:
    The jar isn't resetting.

I'd be sad if I bought something non-decay and they changed it.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Ahmet said:
    Kayeil said:
    The jar isn't resetting.

You should see how many past unique tarot decks were lost when they were temporarily made decaying.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Ahmet said:
    Kayeil said:
    The jar isn't resetting.

Apparently it was too good to be true. We're not allowed to have nice things! :heartbreak: 

@Aeryllin --- I didn't get the belthook. :sweat: 

a skeletal baldric

Carved in homage to the Vashnari bridge, a multitude of lightly 
    articulated, grey wood spars and knuckles fashion the skeletal remains of a 
    leviathan. Clawed forelegs replace the need for strapping, their pointed grips 
    poised to best cling at the shoulders, while a great tail twists to loop about 
    the waist. The grasping connections serve to place a broad skull just beneath 
    the neck of the wearer, its jaws spread wide enough to consume even the largest 
    of warhammers. A knobbled spine runs the length of the container, and a series 
    of pale ribs rise from the column to curl and cradle the offering securely 
    within the gullet of this miniature monster.
    It has 44 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 4 pounds and 0 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of Lindire, the woodcarver (a denizen).
    A skeletal baldric is holding:
    Nothing.
    It can contain of a total of 1 items.

a mantled eagle beltloop

Stippled blues and bleach upon gold leather craft the impression of a 
    great eagle composed of mist and smoke. Bolts of pale lightning outline sweeping 
    feathering, and the creature's eyes and savage beak are painted black, stark 
    against the avian's blanched visage. Looping from left to right, the cloud 
    bird's wingspan forms the function of this storage method, its broad wings 
    mantled to encircle, as if protecting caught prey.
    It has 50 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 1 pounds and 15 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of Ordruin, a troll leatherworker (a denizen).
    A mantled eagle beltloop is holding:
    Nothing.

a terrifyingly tooled leather scabbard

Superlative work with various knives, dyes, and brushes transforms this 
    simple leather scabbard into a mimeo in miniature of a daemonic serpent. Shadows 
    in charcoal hues cloak much of the scabbard's length, pierced only by textural 
    quills, each ringed in dark ruby as if they jut from flesh itself. Impressively 
    fashioned, a bone suspension ring set halfway along the sinuous body resembles 
    the stunted and ragged remains of torn wings, tracing the tortured, skeletal 
    structure, the carvings within the yellowed surface rimed with a minuscule, 
    grasping lichen. The tailtip chape features osseous matter, as does the gaping 
    locket, upon which a pair of black-marred rubies create a burning gaze above a 
    viciously tooth-lined maw.
    It has 50 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 1 pounds and 2 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of Ordruin, a troll leatherworker (a denizen).
    A terrifyingly tooled leather scabbard is holding:
    Nothing.

• Disappointing, but have there been non-decay bazaar items?  I could swear it's come up as a general question before and the answer has always been "no, they aren't non-decay, but you can customize/non-decay/reset" them.  It's a bazaar, so to some degree, people are going to tend to assume that all bets are off to some degree, so I'd have thought "awesome" then "awwww" too, but yeah. 
    Jules said:
    Disappointing, but have there been non-decay bazaar items?  I could swear it's come up as a general question before and the answer has always been "no, they aren't non-decay, but you can customize/non-decay/reset" them.  It's a bazaar, so to some degree, people are going to tend to assume that all bets are off to some degree, so I'd have thought "awesome" then "awwww" too, but yeah. 
    Decks, yes. The last deck they sold in a Bazaar was not non-decay, though. Journals and related writing things, also. That's all that I can think of.

• Er, I guess mean things that aren't already normally non-decay.  Anyway, bummer, but understandable etc...
  • To complete the set:

a beastly belthook

Vividly depicted in enamel and iron upon leather, this belthook bears the image of a horrifying creature. Shining black fur is painted upon the beast's pale bones, the form eternally tormented and bisected by a series of silver blades. From a widely opened muzzle, a violet tongue hangs out of a drooling mouth, the painted flesh mottled with dark red stains and black rot. One clawed hand is clutched to the cavernous torso, and daubs the filthy figure in a noxious yellow ooze. The other protrudes, worked in iron to shape a beckoning, fingernailed hook.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• AeryllinAeryllin Michigan, USA
    Thank you to all that helped post descriptions and things. =D

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Incredibly disappointed they added a decay to the jars...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I wouldn't go so far as "baffled", but well, I already summed up what my reaction would have been to the jars...  

So.  Speaking of scripting... since it's a generally hot topic these days.  Any given bazaar, I have a feeling there are still a few people who are totally "optimized" for these and who still walk away with an awful lot of the inventory (even with the cooldown on purchases).  It's also just completely insane, period.  The spam is incredible - and I feel like THAT is a good reason to take some more steps to make the experience more fun.

But talk about an opportunity to not reward people for automating.  Here it is.  Just make the bazaar less of a feeding frenzy and more of a fun, leisurely shopping experience.  Just make it less about trying to nab all of the goods you possibly can and more about wandering around... oh say, an exotic bazaar, and looking at all of the interesting things.  I mean, again, sometimes I just want to have a look, and even that is a huge challenge at these things. 

• Tael said:
    It's not a fun little shop thing like it sounds, it's a ludicrously fast race to see who can buy everything out as quickly as possible.
    Seeing people buying ten things (tokens most notably, and just before there was a single purple one going for absurd prices on market) at once was... annoying, to say the least. I completely agree with you there. I got what I wanted and am nondecaying + resetting as much as possible, but there's a bit too much profiteering going on to make it really fun, I think.

In other news, what does the disc do? I managed to grab one:

Meticulously carved and smoothed, the surface of this wooden disc is covered in broad stripes of vibrant paints. At
    first glance, it appears little more than a pretty bauble but this characterisation is belied by the soft humming it
    constantly emits.
    It has 30 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs 2 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of Therine (a denizen).

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited June 2015
    Tael, glad to see your post (and actually, Tahquil's too, although I don't think we necessarily have to go that route, just make stock more plentiful, and keep some cooldowns, but it's nice to see people speaking up about wanting a different kind of experience).  I've been saying this for years and been told to stfu.  Maybe things will finally go a bit differently. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited June 2015
    @Sarathai. You can play Simon Says when you drop it

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Avid book collector that I am, I really wanted a token. Unfortunately, it was sold out when I got there! Prices shot up to ~400cr in no time.

That being said, I bought a few things extra because those would make good additions to x initiative or as gifts to another. Binding it to someone after they buy it may not be such a logical solution!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I don't know about binding them to the buyer, as some of these things are bought as gifts for others.

Cyrene's little festival deal solved this problem by the denizens just refusing to sell more than one thing to an individual per X seconds. Heavy-handed, but solved the issue.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Sarathai said:

Seeing people buying ten things (tokens most notably, and just before there was a single purple one going for absurd prices on market) at once was... annoying, to say the least. I completely agree with you there. I got what I wanted and am nondecaying + resetting as much as possible, but there's a bit too much profiteering going on to make it really fun, I think.

In other news, what does the disc do? I managed to grab one:
    Chiming in here to agree. I actually made out like a bandit and got nearly everything I wanted, including a token - but a big part of that was just sitting there with the buy command already typed out from looking at this thread. It felt more than unfair and seeing people trying to sell tomes for 400+ credits (Remember - this is $140 worth of credits) was just absolutely disgusting to me.

It's some basic coding that copies stuff that's found on the website. As cool of an item as it is, please stop exploiting people this badly.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Aerek said:
    I don't know about binding them to the buyer, as some of these things are bought as gifts for others.

Cyrene's little festival deal solved this problem by the denizens just refusing to sell more than one thing to an individual per X seconds. Heavy-handed, but solved the issue.
    This is already how the bazaar works.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Aerek said:

So everyone could only buy one of each item?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Glad we can get all three volumes, but kinda sucks because I wasn't intending to go to Sunday's, but now I have to if I want to finish my book collection. Sad I didn't get a scabbard, because I was mostly there for the token and scabbard. However, got a couple extra things because I have a tendency to give things away to people I am close to. Got a disc this time and I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with it, what a cute game!

As for the aliasing and stuff for the Bazaars... that's really so unnecessary for anyone to do that if they do. I usually have no problem getting what I want by manualling what I'm looking at and buying, and if I do miss out on things there's often people willing to sell the item I'm looking for if they decide they don't like it after looking at it more closely.

• Quaen'a says, "Ah! Let me show you what I have!"
              jar199955 an entomologist's jar                          18    1800gp
           hennin409797 a salmon hued steeple hennin                   15    2200gp
              box378492 a wooden box marked "Dangerous"                15    3500gp
    To buy something, BUY <thing> FROM Quaen'a.
    *spam*
    You pay 1800 sovereigns and receive an entomologist's jar.
    *spam*
    Quaen'a says, "Ah! Let me show you what I have!"
              jar199955 an entomologist's jar                           9    1800gp
           hennin409797 a salmon hued steeple hennin                   15    2200gp
              box378492 a wooden box marked "Dangerous"                 6    3500gp
    To buy something, BUY <thing> FROM Quaen'a.

Wow. Pro shoppers. Didn't mind the competition or the bustle so much, if not for the flurry of market spam joining the fray. Advertising to resell the wares before the bazaar is even over really gives the indication that they were largely bought by people who had no interest in the items themselves, so that made me twitch a tiny bit. Reselling is perfectly valid in my book, but gee at least wait until it closes... play with the spiffy new toys and whatnot. I set an alarm to get up at 05:30 for this, wrongly thinking I'd have more time to browse at that hour, so I'm really relieved I got the jar.
  • edited June 2015

There is a cooldown... seems to be a few minutes? 

EDIT:  in answer to Ruth (you can buy more than one of a thing if it's still there in a minute or two)

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Ruth said:
    Aerek said:

So everyone could only buy one of each item?
    Nonono, it's the same as the bazaar, where you can only buy one item every so often. There's just a helluva lot more people at the bazaar.
    Huh. Neat.