Cities:Skylines

Show us your cities, botched-up roads, waste management problems, traffic jams, and discuss stuff about Cities:Skylines!

I personally just got it after seeing a good amount of people streaming gameplay convinced me to grab it. Can't wait!

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    man this game made me rage. never put the waste disposal upstream from your water intake.

Lesson learned.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • The laning AI still annoys the crap out of me. You have 3 lanes you little fuckers! Why are you all trying to use the same one even if you aren't all turning?!!!

Apart from that it has been a lot of fun so far on Vanilla. Might try a few mods, specifically to make public transport simpler to manage.

Current city is up to around 100k people, will take a screenshot when I am home again.

Protip: When you start your city, make sure you have enough money left over to actually run powerlines from your windmills to your city and pumps. That always gets me. Also, do not panic on death waves and if you want to avoid them, do not build large residential blocks all in one go.

• Mishgul said:
    man this game made me rage. never put the waste disposal upstream from your water intake.

Lesson learned.
    So you're kind of saying this?

• edited June 2015
    Here are pictures of my first try as a City! I named it "Old Home" and focused on the farming industry. I have been suppressing education since farming is an uneducated-only industry, but I recently unlocked offices so I might open the gates of high schools and universities sometime. This game is just beautiful and I'm not even running it on the highest graphics settings (don't have a high-end card).

Warkville looks ugly in comparison, I lost my save when i reformatted, I will start playing again next week when I have a few days to myself and no gf

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Welcome to Rockfield. Don't judge my highways. They work.

(Also, shrinking on Windows sucks)

• What is this?!?
    it's a city building game, like sim city, but more fun.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • HNNRRRUUUUUKKKKKK.....
  • Embrace your inner micro manager.

• edited June 2015
    -changes resolution and window sizes-
    -turns brightness up and down-
    -tilts and turns screen-

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU MAKE TOOL TIPS THAT AREN'T LEGIBLE?!?!?!
    (okay I can see them better in a screenshot but I'm not going to screenshot every time one pops up)
    http://snag.gy/UvNlv.jpg
  • There are a few mods for this but not sure if they work since the last update. I have read that forcing it to launch with DirectX9 makes the fonts more readable, but not at home to test.

• So i can play this game if I use our massive TV as a monitor. It's quite cool however even though if dialled everything down to the lowest setting it is still slow to respond and quite jumpy. I had the same issue with crusader Kings and my laptop isn't that bad specs wise. Anyone else have these issues?
  • @Tahquil, it might just be some issue with using your TV as the monitor. I manage playing it on a 19" desktop screen fine, but I do think the UI is a bit small. I'm not sure if you can customize that using mods - I heard there are a couple of UI mods already!

Anyway, I mentioned in my previous post about opening up the gates of education in my city. I did throw them open, and ~20,000 cims later I have to cull around 80% of my farming industry due to overeducation - I think I will have to convert the rest of the 20% to offices as well. You can actually see the transition here:

I also have a whole new district loaded with cims in high-density residential housing. I got to say, the European buildings are amazing!

Lastly, a nice aerial shot:

• I love the Europian buildings. Your city is looking good! I have half a mind to add the mod that unlocks the entire map and see how big I can go before my machine grinds to a halt. Up to 150,000 so far and running out of space.