June Promo: Build-Your-Own-Artefact package *swoon*

Comments

• I'm not a huge spender, but I try to do my part by making deals that generate revenue for IRE during opportune promos, and I've gotten pretty good at it. What was April's count again, @Sarapis? I think I crested the 4k USD mark for trade value 

• If we buy a pile of the vials, can we issue and have them exchanged for a different artie vial, or is diamond the only option for this sale?

(Yes, yes I know vials aren't worth it, shh.)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Is there any chance of adding sinope earrings to this or is the list pretty final.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    @Ahmet - that made me laugh harder than it should have.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Amunet said:
    Uuuugh, I wish I had known this was coming when I bought credits two days ago, haha. I guess I will just have to wait until payday.
    @Amunet : You could try asking the admins if they'd be willing to do something about your situation. I would wait until a new month if a current promo isn't that good though.
    Nah. I'm not dissatisfied with my purchase from before, and I'll be paid before this promotion is out. All I did was buy a few screw-around credits. The only difference is that I likely would have purchased more had I known about this.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • edited June 2015
    I have done that more than once @Borran

It is a tad embarrassing, but fixable.

I picture Tecton, and cohorts, laughing, "Yup, she finally noticed she had done it again!" What is the over/under on her noticing the next double purchase?"

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• And I just bought a second Ceylonese Ring. SMH when will I ever learn? Hopefully ISSUEME can resolve that for me. And my wife should take away my credit cards if I'm going to buy things I don't need all the time.

• I can see both sides of the argument but, from a personal anecdote point of view, I have to agree with @tesha.

I'll never be able to bring myself to actually pay $300 for -an- item (multiply by 12 for my currency) no matter how much disposable income I may or may not have. However I'd probably easily spend $300 (or more) on a bunch of $30 items.

So I look at the artie list with the intention of maybe buying something and there's nothing of worth in the price range of what I'm currently willing to spend, so I end up spending nothing. Which means essentially money was lost there.

Perhaps instead of lowering current artie values if that's not feasible, create some lesser arties of lower values that can be incrementally upgraded to the current ones? 
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    I thought my wishlist would be a lot worse... only two grand.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • @Kenway What's on your wish list? That seems kind of small.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Antonius said:
    @Kenway What's on your wish list? That seems kind of small.
    Yeah, I think I hit that with one item. :anguished: 

Huh. Neat.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Lvl 1 gauntlets (19 str with torso + lagul ~100% disembowel)
    Lupine
    Mana regen ring
    Buckawns
    Lvl 3 sword
    Robes of Magi
    Prismatic ring
    Bracers of Frost
    Lyre

I think that was everything? I may've seen one or two other things that I just thought to myself fuckit might as well.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Willing to do pregnancy RP as male character in exchange for $140.

If you add $30, I'll even continue to emote the baby's continued existence after birth for a few real life months. I will however ask you to please understand that when the deal is finished, I will likely emote offering the baby as a sacrifice to a God of my choosing or emote giving it to someone else and then immediately qq-ing.
  • Katzchen said:
    If we buy a pile of the vials, can we issue and have them exchanged for a different artie vial, or is diamond the only option for this sale?

(Yes, yes I know vials aren't worth it, shh.)
    Actually was hoping this might be the case. I just find it handy to never worry about things decaying, so I like vials. I know one time I accidentally bought the wrong kind (just wanted a different one and read the wrong line for the number) and they wouldn't switch them over for me. So not sure how likely this is.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    how long ago was that @Darktalon? I mistakenly purchased buckawn's boots before(during the semi-last giftbag promo), and they had no qualms with changing it into an amulet
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Hell I've had them let me return an artie I tried for a day and decided wasn't what I wanted. They're pretty good about that stuff I've found.

• @sarapis For those big spenders. What if they could design their own unique artefact for an outrageous price that would have to be "approved" for combat imbalances. Sort of like the auctions, only the player gets to design their own unique awesomeness. 8k credits for your very own ship of the dead that also functions as a magic portal that leads to places (new version of clouds, integrated in ship, one of a kind awesome).
  • Tharvis said:
    how long ago was that @Darktalon? I mistakenly purchased buckawn's boots before(during the semi-last giftbag promo), and they had no qualms with changing it into an amulet
    Pfffht now I am going to think it was personal. Was Lathis who responded to my issue, was a couple years ago though too, so who knows. Just my only experience and kind of thought it was silly since then.

• edited June 2015
    meh nvm.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Tael said:
    Venturing a little further afield, a couple of people suggested that artefacts and credits don't really have value in a capitalistic sense, for instance because they can be taken away, can't be resold, etc. That could scarcely be more off-base. Probably the defining feature of capitalism as an economic system is that value is not dependent on an item's properties (tangibility, transferability, etc.), but on the subjective value of the item/service to the potential consumer, regardless of what properties it has and how they effect that valuation.
    Agree with your post but wanted to highlight this bit particularly. One thing I enjoy about Achaea is that they won't tolerate people who consistently bend the rules, no matter how much money they've spent on the game. Over the years, there have been a handful of people who bend the PK rules, grief or harass others, then claim they're a major customer and deserve special admin treatment. You wouldn't walk into Burger King and order the most expensive thing on the menu, then start flinging feces all over the walls and scream "I'm a paying customer!" when they inevitably call the police on you. But for some reason, a handful of people in Achaea have acted exactly like that.

So yeah, you could lose all your artefacts and monetary investment due to shrubbing / banning, but you'd have to be doing something worth shrubbing / banning for that to happen.

• @Tecton @Sarapis

Any chance we can get artie pets at the discount?
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • I think artie pet package would hook me into this sale... @Kuy you're evil. I'm guessing that one won't fly though.

• Katzchen said:
    I think artie pet package would hook me into this sale... @Kuy you're evil. I'm guessing that one won't fly though.
    Me too, but I don't think it'll happen, either.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Kuy said:
    Katzchen said:
    I think artie pet package would hook me into this sale... @Kuy you're evil. I'm guessing that one won't fly though.
    Me too, but I don't think it'll happen, either.
    Gah. About the only way I'd even think about getting a pet. But I think you're right.
  • @Sarapis Have you ever thought about some way for players to try before they buy artefacts?

I suppose you would have to find a way to avoid players abusing it though. Either a credit cost (5 credits to rent it for 30 minutes), or you can only try it out every 5 IG years. 

But I think it could work pretty well... Some serpent comes along and tries out a lvl 3 dirk and bow and says wow, these are amazing! I'd love to have these. Now their want for them increases.

But I suppose most artefacts you can just borrow from another player, but still this makes it easier. Not sure off the top of my head if someone else can use an arte weapon other than the owner?
  • edited June 2015

Sarapis said:
    Aodfionn said:
    Alaskar said:
    The bigger question, what can we as players do to really improve the amount of players you get and retain?

Not to steal from Sarapis' incoming (or already being typed) thunder, but I think this one is a lot easier to answer than most people realize.

This is a multiplayer game. Whether it's the RP or the PK, we all want more people to play with. Making this an open and inclusive environment. Going out of one's way to help make interactions with novices a little more eventful or interesting. Finding ways to help keep them and everyone else not only involved, but actively having fun being involved. 

You don't have to be leadership to do this. Hell, you don't even have to be a member of a faction; just do what you can to make our game environment a bit more positive and a bit more enjoyable than it was when you were new. Reach out to new players even if they're outside your usual social circle. The more people feel like this is a game where they not only have fun but actively feel like they have something they want to add to it via their character or participation, the more you will see people sticking around for the decades-long long haul.
    At the risk of continuing to derail, yes, that is true.

The #1 thing that help newbies stay is forming friendships/bonds with other players. If you want to help, the single best thing you can do is be aggressively, proactively inclusive with newbies. 
    I got @Rohai to stick around, and now he is the Ambassador and IRE is a bit richer!

All I had to do was go out of my way to be personal with him, and just be there to help out. It wasn't very demanding. Anyone can have a Rohai of their own! 

Edit: Point of my comment is go get to know your novices, it means a lot to them and goes further than you think!