Emote-style Fight Club

When I mentioned starting an emote-style fight club in Vakvyr's RP Fight thread, I initially meant it as a bit tongue-in-cheek.  But now, I sort of wonder if there is an active non-aligned version of this or interest enough to begin one.

How do you imagine such a club would be run?

I've done this before in another game, offering three different styles:
Freestyle: You emote as you wish, choosing to be struck or not by your opponent's blow.
Equal roll: Successes are rolled for on each attack attempt to determine success. (possibly also damage or scores per strike - rolls done in an OOC clan?)
Level (in this case, might?) based: rolls influenced by weight of stats. Sometimes this can go as far as being like tabletop RP game fights.

Anyways, general interest or contributing ideas are both welcome. Have you seen this done successfully before? What do you think works or doesn't?

Comments

• I'm down!

• I'm game.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    yes    i am

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Could be fun .
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I think I might be terrible at this, but it sounds like it would be fun to try.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    At the risk of oversaturating and thus kind of ruining some of the RP-brawl's appeal, I'm in.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • If this is your first night at fight club, do you have to fight? I ask because I'm definitely interested but would want to observe a while first to get the hang of things.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    You won't brawl with us? I've been needing a chance to pimpslap @Amunet !
  • I'm into the idea.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    Jinsun said:
    You won't brawl with us? I've been needing a chance to pimpslap @Amunet !
    Get in line, haha. I think half of the game is ahead of you, at this point. ;)
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • Oh, also, I think having SOME kind of rules about who has "advantage", at least, is a good idea. Otherwise 90% of these duels are going to end in a draw.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Tristitia said:

Level (in this case, might?) based: rolls influenced by weight of stats. Sometimes this can go as far as being like tabletop RP game fights.

I've done this before on another IRE mud. My friend and I rolled a d20 to determine whether our punches/moves would land on each other. It was hilarious as heck. I took a punch in the face and he took a foot to the guts. It worked really well. :pleased:
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I might actually come out of retirement to join this if it goes up.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    I'm just gonna emote (You have been slain by) . Until I get a good roll.
  • edited May 2015
    D20, +1 for every point above 12? The discrepancies in stats should be notable. A str class should not barely have an advantage over an int class in a str roll, et cetera.

I'd prefer freestyle, but from experience I know that some people are just not willing to take a hit/loss.
  • RaemRaem Los Angeles
    So down for this (at least, Raem would be). Would love to participate.
  • This alone is enough interest to put the effort in.

@Amunet Your ideas align pretty closely with mine. I actually didn't think of the book until well after I made this thread. I have already begun the IC motivation and my next step is asking a few key people if they'd be interested in meeting to fight regularly. My vision as a player is to see this rise to become an Achaean sport. I have had bookies on the mind already. An arena would actually be very helpful, especially if it can be used to separate emotes from the spectators so the combatants can easily catch their cues. (Do stages work this way?)

Upon further thought, party tells can be used to take care of OOC rolls and such. I might still scrape up some money for a clan for people running the game or those with a perpetual interest. This will take me some time, however.

I am now researching roll and stat models and trying to come up with the technicalities of that third style especially (I urge anyone to keep offering input in this regard).  All three styles I mentioned in my first post should be kept intact. I know from experience that those three preferences are all necessary to keep combatants happy. In fact, I enjoy all three types. Sometimes you don't want to break out the stats, and it can be assumed that the "better" player is just not on top of their game that particular fight. I can separate the styles in an IC fashion, calling them something like Restricted or Semi-Restricted, if it is needed.

I really wish Achaea had an accessible RNG, like MMO's /roll 1-20 type of thing. 
  • Tristitia said:
    This alone is enough interest to put the effort in.

@Amunet Your ideas align pretty closely with mine. I actually didn't think of the book until well after I made this thread. I have already begun the IC motivation and my next step is asking a few key people if they'd be interested in meeting to fight regularly. My vision as a player is to see this rise to become an Achaean sport. I have had bookies on the mind already. An arena would actually be very helpful, especially if it can be used to separate emotes from the spectators so the combatants can easily catch their cues. (Do stages work this way?)

Upon further thought, party tells can be used to take care of OOC rolls and such. I might still scrape up some money for a clan for people running the game or those with a perpetual interest. This will take me some time, however.

I am now researching roll and stat models and trying to come up with the technicalities of that third style especially (I urge anyone to keep offering input in this regard).  All three styles I mentioned in my first post should be kept intact. I know from experience that those three preferences are all necessary to keep combatants happy. In fact, I enjoy all three types. Sometimes you don't want to break out the stats, and it can be assumed that the "better" player is just not on top of their game that particular fight. I can separate the styles in an IC fashion, calling them something like Restricted or Semi-Restricted, if it is needed.

I really wish Achaea had an accessible RNG, like MMO's /roll 1-20 type of thing. 
    Achaea technically does, but it's visible to everyone. With Ivory Dice, the ROLLDICE command can be used to roll a large number of dice, or only one, and you can specify the sides.

3260h, 3719m, 15200e, 17600w ex|0/0|0/0|0/0|99-  (17:8:6:145)rolldice 1 20

You roll the single die and as it tumbles to a stop, you see it shows a 19.
    3260h, 3719m, 15200e, 17600w ex|0/0|0/0|0/0|99-  (17:8:40:492)

• It would be kind of strange to have someone actually rolling dice and then someone else taking a hit or not based on the outcome.

Unless it's like... one of the gods rolling dice.

Still, I was thinking more of something someone could make a script from that didn't rely on any particular client.
  • I figured, was just an idea.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    STR heavy class + being 9 foot giant?

Invite.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Rohai said:
    If this is your first night at fight club, do you have to fight? I ask because I'm definitely interested but would want to observe a while first to get the hang of things.
    No. I imagine a great deal of IC interest would come from spectators wanting to get in on the excitement.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Tristitia if you have GMCP enabled and can use LUA commands, you can for example do : LUA math.random(1,20) and it'll 'roll' a random number between 1 and 20
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    @Tristitia if you have GMCP enabled and can use LUA commands, you can for example do : LUA math.random(1,20) and it'll 'roll' a random number between 1 and 20
    Thank you. I don't have knowledge of this kind of thing, but knowing it's there, I can ask the right questions to set something up.
    Tristitia said:
    Tharvis said:
    Thank you. I don't have knowledge of this kind of thing, but knowing it's there, I can ask the right questions to set something up.
    dug it up for you, if you use mudlet : http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Tharvis said:
    Tristitia said:
    Tharvis said:
    dug it up for you, if you use mudlet : http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100
    If you use svo, Vadi includes this already in the form of vlua. 
    edited May 2015
    Now all that's needed is a reply detailing how to do it on html5!
    - wait, basic javascript, should be doable..

function rollDie(sides){
    if(!sides) sides = 20;
    with(Math) return 1 + floor(random() * sides);
    }

• I use html5. :-1: 
    edited May 2015
    see my previous post @Tristitia - unless I messed up that code, somehow