This giftbag promotion

2»

Comments

• Most examples in this thread indicate the promo has a pretty solid bonus rate tied to it, but greed is making it much less. Personally I'd never try to upgrade past level 2.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• The level 1 bag is a bonus in itself, and you still get to keep that if you fail a later attempt. Which is still pretty sweet if you ask me, I don't know any gambling places, online or otherwise, that gives you say... 100 chips, and then tells you that even if you loose a bet you still get to keep the 100 chips at the end of the betting.
  • Saeva said:
    I upgraded to a level 4 today. Got a lash. Didn't press my luck. Feel happy. Yummy heart.
    ........................................................................................GYAHHH FUCK IT who wants to trade?

• Jarrod said:
    Any single upgrade is a 40% credit bonus, any double is a 60% credit bonus, triple is 60-120% bonus.

The promo is pretty insane in terms of value, but obviously the odds of getting a 2000cr artie from a 50cr giftbag are abysmally low.
    For that one bag, sure (20 credits is 40% of 50 credits and so forth)... but it sounds like a pretty dangerous way to approach the promo unless you're actually buying... 50 credits.

Jarrod said:
    Most examples in this thread indicate the promo has a pretty solid bonus rate tied to it, but greed is making it much less. Personally I'd never try to upgrade past level 2.

I always avoid gambling promotions unless I think there's a pretty good "floor" built into them.  It looks like Tecton has tried to build a somewhat better floor with his latest tweak (still feels gambly to me, not my style of promo).

Like you, if I bought, I'd almost exclusively try for level two.  Actually, I'd see how many level 1s I got, then see how many I felt I could sacrifice to upgrade attempts and still come out at ~30% sale (considering Iron Elite bonus separately of course).  Then, if I had extra bags, I'd try for level two (and likely no higher) - because it would be fun, and I might get some more credits.  If I was really on a lucky streak, I might sacrifice some bags to try for level 3.  At every stage, I'd probably be considering what I needed to set aside to still be at ~30% sale.  And my credit purchases have often been ~2K credits, so we are talking about starting with at least ~40 bags, and that's how careful I'd be.  Of course, it seems like I could easily end up never getting anywhere near 30% in the first place (which is exactly why I'd be unlikely to do a promo like this in the first place).  

It's probably not greed with people though (okay it's greed) - but it's also probably impulsiveness.  I mean, I always pass on the gambling promotions unless I can play them so they're almost not gambling at all, but this kind of promotion, it really is designed to be like fairy crack to a certain kind of person (although as things look right now, those people are going to need to hear a few more stories like Saeva's to tempt them).
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    11 giftbags with basically the highest upgrade I got being ivory dice
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Forgot to include in my post that if you don't get items you want to keep (which, how many ivory dice does a person need?) I'm assuming any credits you would end up getting would be bound.  Probably actually doesn't matter much if you're still completing your artefact collection, but for a ship owner who isn't, that would be another strike :( I'd much rather have extra liquid assets.  
  • Jarrod said:
    Most examples in this thread indicate the promo has a pretty solid bonus rate tied to it, but greed is making it much less. Personally I'd never try to upgrade past level 2.
    That's exactly right. If you want to go for the jackpot, you're going to lose almost all of the time and win big very rarely. Similarly, if you play roulette and bet it all on a single number vs. black, you're going to lose almost all of the time and win big very rarely. In the end, however, averaged out over time, it's the same thing. Different risk profiles appeal to different people. Same goes for the humgii racing promos, for example. 

• The buckawns I got made all this worth it :0
  • edited May 2015
    Jules said:
    Forgot to include in my post that if you don't get items you want to keep (which, how many ivory dice does a person need?) I'm assuming any credits you would end up getting would be bound.  Probably actually doesn't matter much if you're still completing your artefact collection, but for a ship owner who isn't, that would be another strike :( I'd much rather have extra liquid assets.  
    So sell them to someone else instead of trading them in. It shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to buy an artefact at a 33% discount.

You could also sell them for more than the tradein value, potentially at full price.
  • I'm definitely not playing in this one, especially since I stocked up very recently when I bought the diadem and SOA before the price hikes.  That said, I sort of agree with your point, but I'd have some considerations.  If someone played this promo fairly safe (but let's face it this one still looks like a pretty hardcore gambling promo with all that that entails), you'd probably have a bunch of the elixirs, dice, pipes and vials (if you were lucky).  

As a matter of fact, if you're going that route, your best bet might be to never even consider trying for higher than level 1 at all (even if you had extra bags and had in theory met a ~30% sale), because I do think the second hand market for the elixirs is probably better than for the mentioned artifacts, although I'm unsure of what people are willing to pay (but I am just guessing it's around 20 credits or less unless people go absolutely nuts over them - I do think there is a bit of that with the lucky elixirs).  People probably aren't going to pay much more than ~20 credits for the artifacts you might get at level 2 (assuming anyone is even interested), and you'd have to assume extra risk.  So the good thing is that you can just upgrade everything to level 1 and not even worry about trying to go further (but... even that isn't necessarily going so well for people from the looks of it).  

But then comes the part I've done exactly once and never want to do again, especially for a bunch of small items.  And that is hanging out on market and trying to sell the stuff.  I always put up ads too, but as people have noted from time to time, Achaeans are pretty unreliable in their ad reading.  

If I could just price it and put it up on a tradeable artifact market (which I can elsewhere in IRE), it wouldn't be too bad.  But sitting around trying to sell a bunch of smaller items (and haggling with people *shudder*) honestly sounds like sheer hell.  I only had to do it for a few much bigger ticket items in the Conclave promo and didn't enjoy it much.  Speaking of Conclave though, that one did actually seem like one you could play fairly safe if you weren't too impulsive/greedy.  

Actually, your best bet would possibly be to sell all of your original giftbags (untouched) to someone who is a gambling fiend (like Trey) :P  
  • upgraded bag to level 2, tried to upgrade it again went back toy a level 1 bag

• Sweet,  no ones upgraded fully...that means it -has- to be me that gets it.  Where's my wallet at....
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I bought 6 bags. Three of those upgraded to level 4, one to level 3, and two to level 2. I could have potentially had a keyring, drinking horn, and dagger of reincarnation to play with, but I actually wanted the inks and gold from the level 1 bags so I didn't keep them.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Jules said:
    If I could just price it and put it up on a tradeable artifact market (which I can elsewhere in IRE), it wouldn't be too bad.  But sitting around trying to sell a bunch of smaller items (and haggling with people *shudder*) honestly sounds like sheer hell.  I only had to do it for a few much bigger ticket items in the Conclave promo and didn't enjoy it much.  
    Some form of trading system is something I go back and forth on a lot. I can see the merits of such a thing, but I would really hate to lose the interpersonal aspects of marketeering and trade by having everything filtered through a faceless trading interface - we're a multiplayer game, after all!
  • Tecton said:
    Jules said:
    If I could just price it and put it up on a tradeable artifact market (which I can elsewhere in IRE), it wouldn't be too bad.  But sitting around trying to sell a bunch of smaller items (and haggling with people *shudder*) honestly sounds like sheer hell.  I only had to do it for a few much bigger ticket items in the Conclave promo and didn't enjoy it much.  
    Some form of trading system is something I go back and forth on a lot. I can see the merits of such a thing, but I would really hate to lose the interpersonal aspects of marketeering and trade by having everything filtered through a faceless trading interface - we're a multiplayer game, after all!

Yeah, I sort of wondered.  I appreciate the insight on it.  In Achaea, I think some players would be excited about a faceless trading interface, while a possibly even larger number would decry it for being just that.  It probably truly isn't a slam dunk here. 
  • More ads! We need more ads to be made!
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Jules said:
    Tecton said:
    Jules said:

Yeah, I sort of wondered.  I appreciate the insight on it.  In Achaea, I think some players would be excited about a faceless trading interface, while a possibly even larger number would decry it for being just that.  It probably truly isn't a slam dunk here. 
    Faceless trading allows would allow you blissful ignorance  about whether or not you're trading with dirty heathens. 10/10. I support. ;)
  • edited May 2015

Well, yes.  And the thing is, ALL of the trades from a promotion are actually OOC trades happening in game.  You are trading items you purchased with real life dollars with other players... but, you're sort of doing it with the character too?  To add to the murkiness, crowns, for example, can be procured in game through the use of ships.  The item is very much an "OOC" type currency however. 

Sitting in Cyrene, I doubt I'd have to worry about being taken to task over a transaction that truly is OOC (trading items purchased with RL dollars) - and I'd argue just that if it came to it, and, I imagine, win.  But, it would be pretty unpleasant, and probably have consequences even if you did win (which I do think/hope you would).  It's also something I can imagine being more of a possibility as the orgs become more polarized in game and perhaps some over-eager official might consider it a grave offense.  Honestly, THAT is probably the most compelling argument to consider an artefact item market (at least for items purchased with RL dollars if not for all artefact/credit type items). 

• Missed the edit time, but forgot to mention, a "pro" (to some degree, even from my point of view) of in game trading,  is that it IS still interaction, and especially if you are dealing with someone from another org, it's an interaction you might not normally have.
  • edited May 2015
    Bought 4 giftbags. I'm a pretty degenerate gambler though, and I always go for the big jackpots. Hence how I lost 2 million gold the other day playing roulette. Like Sarapis said, you bet on a single number, I mean... But! That's where the gold came from to begin with, so easy come- easy go.

In regards to these bags, they annoyed me greatly. Not buying anymore for the month. Of my 5 total (counting the freeby) I had -one- bag make it to the first upgrade. All the others failed on the very first attempt. So I'm done for this month. At least I'm good on inks for a while..(?)

I feel obligated to agree with other people though. I would've much rather gotten some racing tickets out of these bags, either a chance pre-upgrade or a chance on upgrade one (which wouldn't have affected me too much..) I flipped when I found out I had two tickets just... sitting there in Limbo that had been apparently given to everyone a while back. Went out and won 200 bounds on one and lost on the other. I like the tickets... gives me something to shout at and hope for.
  • Can't wait until June Promo... I have a big wad of cash to spend and don't feel like gambling on this- anything where I can't choose what type of reward I'm getting isn't worth it because I may already have it or I don't have a need for it.