Celani Q+A

13»

Comments

• Sartan said:
    @Ruth Part of a demigod's preparation for a godrole is studying the realm and associated materials for that God. There are some records that I won't go too deeply into, but suffice it to say, the Gods themselves are updating things as we go along to do our best to ensure a consistent experience across volunteers.
    This has been one of my biggest gripes, but I have noticed that the last few 'new gods' I've seen have been much better than the past. Glad to see the process is working. 
  • Nim said:
    Deucalion said:
    5. Neraeos was Kramer. Tecton is Jerry. Lorielan is Elaine. Mortals that come to the gate to the Garden are all Newmann.
    evade north

o-oh T_T
    I tried to peek... nope, I end up at the cave somewhere in Ithmia. :(

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Aepas said:
    Just a question on this front.
    For players who want to make a kind of change in the IC world and continue playing as people in the realms. For instance, the Alien races (Xoran/Horky/Raja/grook) have some of the most pitiful lore ever made, even with grand overarching things surrounding them. For those of us that would enjoy making things about these races, how do we go about doing that? Sure there are several culture clans for each race, but many are quite terrible and none of them have ever been regarded as Ic truths. Just made up nonsense that we can pretend to be true if we want.

While that is only one example of player created lore, I simply have to wonder about how we can go about changing things or creating lore of our own measure without being a celani or god to do so.
    Aepas that's something I did with @Faur and @Phaestus with the dwarven clan. It honestly does work best establishing miniscule cannon lore and working with a patron of sorts. If you can get a group of that race running in the same direction it becomes a whole lot easier for a patron to step in and just say lets do this and make magic happen. I just happened to be the oldest active dwarf in the clan at the time when they sent out a call looking for dwarven stuff and boom we already had a system established and a fairly halfway decent lore of the nations and a few heroes and boom done.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Question #6: Is Pandora basically the Defense Against the Dark Arts position?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited May 2015
    How often do you encounter people who are terrified of rping with an admin?

I ask because I think it's a geat feeling when, after a good amount of effort, that person comes out of his shell and am curious if, as admin, you get to help people be less afraid of such interaction.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    @Deucalion  No one ever pays me in gum :cold_sweat: 
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm sorry if I phrased my question/edit poorly, I'm trying to post from my phone at work between machine cycles. Now I'm on break and have more than 30 seconds to type.

What I meant is: given your duties as a god, do you find much time to interact with players?

You answered the second part of my question already, but it was: how often do you find that people basically prostrate themselves to beggars that start talking because they know. a god is behind it?

And on a personal note, do you find it rewarding when someone finally comes out of his/her shell?
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Jonathin We're always looking for opportunities. Like the call says, we have a strong roleplaying focus, and it's among the highest priorities for god duties.   Yep, it's definitely rewarding!
  • Sartan said:
    @Daeir  I'll be honest though, part of the hesitation on our part is the need to keep OOC and godrole separate so that the 'magic' isn't ruined. If players start to see us too differently from our godroles, our concern is our in-game street cred tanking. It's not a lack of wanting to respond to folks on the forum, but rather a desire to maintain the integrity of the godrole that keeps us largely silent. 
    Ah, that explains a lot why Gaia doesn't reply to my message in-game. heh. "hey, You!" (okay, I didn't say that in a message. :) )

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • To be fair, @Sartan , you're doing a lousy job of being the forums Sartan.

Not one admonition against traitors?

• DeucalionDeucalion The Garden of the Gods
    edited May 2015
    Sartan said:
    @Daeir  I'll be honest though, part of the hesitation on our part is the need to keep OOC and godrole separate so that the 'magic' isn't ruined. If players start to see us too differently from our godroles, our concern is our in-game street cred tanking. It's not a lack of wanting to respond to folks on the forum, but rather a desire to maintain the integrity of the godrole that keeps us largely silent. 
    Also, in the past, there was  a policy that only staff members (producer, asst producer, head coder, etc) were to post on the forums. Some of us that were around at that time refrain from posting out of habit, as well.

I can also confirm @sartan's assertion that familiarity can lead to difficult situations. Without going into details, being active on the forums can sometimes  make people overly friendly in game and cause RP issues.
  • What about the thrill of battle? Is that gone or is there like a Celani fight club?
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Artemis said:
    Suladan said:
    What about the thrill of battle? Is that gone or is there like a Celani fight club?
    It has been replaced with Celani Hunger Games. All of us are past winners. 
    I see so which district (city) have the most winners then lol
  • Hunger games ftw..

I was curious, would one answer the questions in the application form point by point or just write an applications text in which the questions are answered? point by point seems a bit dull.

When not being sure about a particular God, one gets many opportunities as a Celani to learn about more about the different Divine and engage in some basic denizen-player contact to build a further feeling for certain Gods?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Moco said:
    Hunger games ftw..

I was curious, would one answer the questions in the application form point by point or just write an applications text in which the questions are answered? point by point seems a bit dull.

When not being sure about a particular God, one gets many opportunities as a Celani to learn about more about the different Divine and engage in some basic denizen-player contact to build a further feeling for certain Gods?
    1) Points is preferred, yes!

2) Indeed, as you're training, you'll have access to a slew of information to help make your decision.

Specifically in regards to engaging in denizen-player contact: Due to the potential ramifications of allowing someone not familiar with the role jumping in as say, and order denizen, we don't have the opportunity for that as part of the syllabus.
  • Must you reply with the intent of taking on a God role?
  • *Apply, not reply. Already fail. :(
  • @Aepas If you ever wanna talk about how we did it just let us know I'd love to help get other races on racial clans going well.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • More of an observation; I find it really interesting that most of the questions posted were about the selection of godhood. I think the largest take aways are: you're not going to get selected to be a god that you dislike, you will get the opportunities to learn about other gods and  the player base(s) associated with them, and there's some serious dedication to get to that point. 
  • Tekk said:
    More of an observation; I find it really interesting that most of the questions posted were about the selection of godhood. I think the largest take aways are: you're not going to get selected to be a god that you dislike, you will get the opportunities to learn about other gods and  the player base(s) associated with them, and there's some serious dedication to get to that point. 
    All of those observations are true! I would like to make one clarification, though: each person gets to choose which role THEY want (out of available ones, of course). There is no "we need this role filled, so you must do it". The godrole is the reward for all the hard work you do (and will continue to do - remember, we are all working as a team to make Achaea awesome for all players). It takes a lot of dedication, yes. The reward though, is so worth it! 
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    If you happen to show remarkable proficiency during your time as a Celani, will your training period as a Celani be shortened or will it still take the same period of time? Is it case by case basis?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• @Ruth How long a celani takes is totally up to them, there is a syllabus of sorts to complete.
  • Aepas said:
    Just a question on this front.
    For players who want to make a kind of change in the IC world and continue playing as people in the realms. For instance, the Alien races (Xoran/Horky/Raja/grook) have some of the most pitiful lore ever made, even with grand overarching things surrounding them. For those of us that would enjoy making things about these races, how do we go about doing that? Sure there are several culture clans for each race, but many are quite terrible and none of them have ever been regarded as Ic truths. Just made up nonsense that we can pretend to be true if we want.

While that is only one example of player created lore, I simply have to wonder about how we can go about changing things or creating lore of our own measure without being a celani or god to do so.
    This is fairly difficult to do because typically we (or at least I) already have a sense of what their history is and aren't going to allow anything that isn't consistent with that. Not sure why you throw the Xoran in there though! Their history was explained in gruesome detail during the Bal'met saga.
This discussion has been closed.