Celani Q+A

Comments

• Sartan said:
    Anything that requires coding is learned as a Celani. We've definitely had volunteers who've never coded before become really proficient! It's a pretty time-tested process, and Celani tend to do well learning the different steps. In addition, the whole team is here to help as our new volunteers learn.
    If you truly have materials that help incrementally teach people who are not coders at all, or who just struggle with it, from the ground up, are they in a form you could release?  Coding resources that incrementally get people from super basic stuff to having a grasp of how the pieces actually fit together are a vanishingly small resource.  There is almost no "here is how you get from this great, but incredibly basic tutorial to actually having some idea how this stuff fits together" in the coding world.  The only reason I've finally made some progress (so that when I look at other "resources" I can actually figure out what they mean sometimes) is patient people, and that's always going to be a great thing to have, but I do feel like there can/should be more incremental resources out there (and it sounds like maybe you have some).  
  • Just a question on this front.
    For players who want to make a kind of change in the IC world and continue playing as people in the realms. For instance, the Alien races (Xoran/Horky/Raja/grook) have some of the most pitiful lore ever made, even with grand overarching things surrounding them. For those of us that would enjoy making things about these races, how do we go about doing that? Sure there are several culture clans for each race, but many are quite terrible and none of them have ever been regarded as Ic truths. Just made up nonsense that we can pretend to be true if we want.

While that is only one example of player created lore, I simply have to wonder about how we can go about changing things or creating lore of our own measure without being a celani or god to do so.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited April 2015
    If I hypothetically became Thoth, could I run an event where I was like "screw you guys, I'm tired of resurrecting you" and introduce permadeath to Achaea? I've always wanted to see a more cynical Thoth who is tired of seeing the same faces go through his halls like every freaking day.

• @Aepas
    Working within a clan to get it to High Clan status will grant some legitimacy, terrible culture clans turning it around and becoming a proper part of the world is always something we love to see. From there players can work with Patrons to do more.
    There are also the emails: rp@achaea.com and events@achaea.com
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Out of curiosity, what kind of things as a player could disqualify someone for consideration or at least count against the possibility of being chosen? I'd assume things like being a constant troublemaker would be one of those things, but are there other things we might not exactly think of as players that would be looked at? Like maybe being a weak role player (or no role play at all), but maybe they just like hunting or combat. Not being well known enough, or being too well known? Stuff like that.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Aktillum said:
    If I hypothetically became Thoth, could I run an event where I was like "screw you guys, I'm tired of resurrecting you" and introduce permadeath to Achaea?
    You could propose something like that to me, and if approved, could run an event that did just that. 
    Kayeil said:
    Out of curiosity, what kind of things as a player could disqualify someone for consideration or at least count against the possibility of being chosen? I'd assume things like being a constant troublemaker would be one of those things, but are there other things we might not exactly think of as players that would be looked at? Like maybe being a weak role player (or no role play at all), but maybe they just like hunting or combat. Not being well known enough, or being too well known? Stuff like that.
    We don't disqualify anyone based on being/not being a "big name", we've had both kinds apply and make excellent gods.

We do, very seriously, take your past in-game interactions into consideration though! If you're someone who has gone out of their way to diminish people's experiences, then that's something that's going to work against you! If you're someone who is constantly doing things to enrich the playing experience of others through, say, self-initiated RP scenarios, then that's a big plus!
    Jules said:
    Sartan said:
    Anything that requires coding is learned as a Celani. We've definitely had volunteers who've never coded before become really proficient! It's a pretty time-tested process, and Celani tend to do well learning the different steps. In addition, the whole team is here to help as our new volunteers learn.
    If you truly have materials that help incrementally teach people who are not coders at all, or who just struggle with it, from the ground up, are they in a form you could release?  Coding resources that incrementally get people from super basic stuff to having a grasp of how the pieces actually fit together are a vanishingly small resource.  There is almost no "here is how you get from this great, but incredibly basic tutorial to actually having some idea how this stuff fits together" in the coding world.  The only reason I've finally made some progress (so that when I look at other "resources" I can actually figure out what they mean sometimes) is patient people, and that's always going to be a great thing to have, but I do feel like there can/should be more incremental resources out there (and it sounds like maybe you have some).  
    Much of our stuff is very much tailored to our own specific scripting language (as well as having access to literally thousands of examples through the AI attached to denizens and items), and wouldn't have much use outside of that scope.
  • I just want to say I am very impressed by how active the current Divine are in this thread. The answers are awesome, and I applaud each and every one of them for their active participation.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• edited April 2015
    So on average how many application do you all generally receive and what is generally the rate you all get back to someone to go for the one on one interview?

Also curious what is the major reason a celani doesn't finish celanihood? And what is most looked at job done during it?
  • Can we make our own gods? Taly is gunning for God/Goddess of Flair/Fabulousness
  • Talysin said:
    Can we make our own gods? Taly is gunning for God/Goddess of Flair/Fabulousness
    Pretty sure they killed off most of the gods to prevent this.

Besides, @Deucalion is taken.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I remember yesterday :((

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • @Aedin I'm going to let @Tecton field the time table question. Numbers of applications vary from call to call. But we're always looking for a healthy pool of good applications!
    edited April 2015
    Aedin said:
    So on average how many application do you all generally receive and what is generally the rate you all get back to someone to go for the one on one interview?

Also curious what is the major reason a celani doesn't finish celanihood? And what is most looked at job done during it?
    Varies from round to round - we usually have 5 - 10 applicants, and we usually interview 3 - 6 people within a week or two of applications closing.

Not finishing - in most of them it's RL reasons, school/work/life getting busy, more than anything directly related to the Celani training syllabus. 
  • Do all celani end up as gods (if they stick around) or is there an option to go for a more coder role? Or is that a separate application? 
    Tibitha said:
    Do all celani end up as gods (if they stick around) or is there an option to go for a more coder role? Or is that a separate application? 
    Usually a separate track/application, but there's been cases were a long-term god tries coding, or a long-time coder takes on a god role!
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Rumors are abound that a pimpmobile exists in the Garden. If I apply for Celani and successfully get through the interview, can I claim the pimpmobile as mine?

More seriously, how fast do Celani applications get processed? Do people who fail to get selected have a chance to be pulled up in the later months, or will they have to re-apply in the next Celani call if they remain interested in the position?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Ruth said:
    Rumors are abound that a pimpmobile exists in the Garden. If I apply for Celani and successfully get through the interview, can I claim the pimpmobile as mine?

More seriously, how fast do Celani applications get processed? Do people who fail to get selected have a chance to be pulled up in the later months, or will they have to re-apply in the next Celani call if they remain interested in the position?
    Pimpmobile rumours are greatly exaggerated, in reality, it is Nerry's old beat up 1997 civic.

We're usually interviewing people within a week of apps closing, and let people know within a day or two of the interview whether they're successful. Unsuccessful applicants are encouraged to apply again next time, with perhaps a fresh application and highlighting strengths and achievements since their last app!
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Tecton said:

Pimpmobile rumours are greatly exaggerated, in reality, it is Nerry's old beat up 1997 civic.

I almost died.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I have some  microscopic and macroscopic questions, some of which you might not be able to answer.

1) Gods have a rich history that I imagine you have outlined behind-the-scenes so that a Demi taking over for them knows the tiniest details of their stuff. a) Does this include memories of casual interactions with mortals or is it permissible for Immortals to overlook that insignificant stuff? Does that disappear with the retiring of a god-player or is it all logged? b) Do you keep records of personality, speech patterns, and details for denizen types or specific named-denizens?

2) How many active God, Demigod, and Celani staff are there now?
    If you can't answer, do Celani know how many Gods? Do Demigods know?

3) Are all Gods paid? Does pay start at the Demi or full level? Does the pay scale with programming or scripting ability, or is pay limited to programming savants?

4) I've always imagined nifty monitoring rooms in the Garden, sort of like the Universal Membrane but a dozen times more useful. How cool is the actual Batcave?

4) If the active major gods were the cast of That 70's Show, which one would be Fez?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • There will probably be a better answer to your questions coming shortly. But we totally cast ourselves as Scooby Doo characters and not that 70s show.
    Sartan said:
    There will probably be a better answer to your questions coming shortly. But we totally cast ourselves as Scooby Doo characters and not that 70s show.
    Zoinks, yo
  • @Deucalion you forgot to add me - J Peterman. 
  • Deucalion said:
    5. Neraeos was Kramer. Tecton is Jerry. Lorielan is Elaine. Mortals that come to the gate to the Garden are all Newmann.
    evade north

o-oh T_T
This discussion has been closed.