Magi Destabilisation and Allies/Enemies

Just curious, from a combat balance / design perspective, why golem destabilising vibes hits EVERYONE in the room, instead of being based on ally/enemy list? It makes using destabilisation pretty much not viable for group combat since you'll be hitting your teammates as well.

I guess it would be OP if you could disrupt the EQ of 20 enemies during group combat with destabilise stridulation, though since destab destroys the vibe, its only a 1 time use before needing to re-embed the vibe, and I think the magi would become a high priority target if it worked that way, so it'd balance out.

Here's the destabilisation list. Do these look particularly OP if they worked on enemy/ally list only?

Dissipate: drains mana from everyone in the room.
Palpitation: deals damage to everyone in the room.
Heat: deals fire damage and causes ablaze to everyone in the room.
Alarm: informs you of all people in the local area.
Tremors: creates rubble to block the exits of the room.
Reverberation: destroys all monolith, cube, knife, and eye sigils on the ground in your location.
Adduction: will attempt to draw all those in adjacent locations into the room.
Harmony: will restore health to everyone in the room.
Creeps: afflicts everyone in the room with fear, agoraphobia, and claustrophobia.
Silence: blocks all usage of communication channels for a short time.
Revelation: strips the phase, astralform, or blackwind defences from everyone in the room.
Grounding: launches everyone in the room into the sky.
Oscillate: deals minor damage and afflicts everyone in the room with both epilepsy and stupidity.
Disorientation: prones and gives dizziness to everyone in the room.
Energise: restores some health for each person besides the destabiliser in the room.
Stridulation: disrupts the mental equilibrium of everyone in the room.
Gravity: forces all those in the sky above back to the ground.
Dissonance: breaks all magical shields protecting adventurer's in the room.
Plague: breaks the limbs of everyone in the room.
Lullaby: strips the metawake defence and prevents its reapplication for a short time.
Retardation: afflicts everyone in the room with the curse of Aeon.

Comments

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Actually disregard, a lot of these do look sorta OP if you could hit enemies only during group raids with them. I guess one option would be to make them only hit a few enemies and not your entire enemy list (like how Golgotha was re-worked) but probably more work than its worth it for the staff.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Plague and retardation would definitely be a bit much. Silence should always effect everyone. The rest sound good, but in a group fight, you tend to focus one target, so they would be healed quickly. 
    Stridulation would probably be the most OP, since embedding vibes takes like 2s, a magi could just destab stridulation/embed stridulation/destab stridulation/embed stridulation (x9000) and just continously disrupt enemy group's EQ. But like I said, magi would quickly become high-priority target and die pretty quickly if they could do that, so it'd balance out.

I'll stick to my suggestion of making it destab vibes effect a few random people on your enemies list, that would make it useful in group combat without making it OP.

• Aktillum said:
    Stridulation would probably be the most OP, since embedding vibes takes like 2s, a magi could just destab stridulation/embed stridulation/destab stridulation/embed stridulation (x9000) and just continously disrupt enemy group's EQ. But like I said, magi would quickly become high-priority target and die pretty quickly if they could do that, so it'd balance out.

I'll stick to my suggestion of making it destab vibes effect a few random people on your enemies list, that would make it useful in group combat without making it OP.
    So long as you can destab in retardation, it needs to affect everyone. Else, the group with the magi who embeds has no reason to win, and very little counterplay.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
    @Kuy Ah, yeah, I wasn't even thinking of a from-inside-retardation perspective. That adds a whole new element to it, definitely. Its 4:30am here, heh.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Destabilise is fine as is, except maybe Dissonance, which is.... very situational and mostly useless
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Yeah since the goal is to trap your enemies in retardation while curing out, the theory is that with your enemies aeoned and you not, you can cure everything instantly while they suffer through aeon. Oscillate, disorientation, and creeps all give more than one aff. They take probably 50% longer to cure in retardation, so it stacks up pretty quick for your enem(ies).

Meanwhile, the vibes themselves are still tuned against enemies. Although having any that benefitted allies would be nice.

I had a very convoluted approach to destabilise ENERGISE, so that it would benefit the "team" that was outnumbered more. Essentially, it would deal damage based on stored energy to everyone in the room, decreasing for the number of enemies present, and would immediately heal everyone in the room, with the heal increasing for the number of enemies present.
    It got really complicated when preventing people from reducing their own damage taken by trying to control their enemy/ally list.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.