So I leave for a weekend concert series, and I can't be a priest in Cyrene anymore?

It's not an in-game mechanic for the players of the leaders of good to act irresponsibly and haphazardly. It's the immaturity of text-stardom that has perpetuated this advance of "Good's" radicalization.

From what I can tell, this has been going on for a few RL years. It will only result in the maximum marginalization of playing a character who is good or even sympathetic to good.

This is furthered by the players behind @Aurora and @Deucalion - what are you guys doing? It is almost as if you don't care if anyone wants to play on the side of Good. At this point, it is barely possible to play Good in a game heavily based on Good vs Evil vs Chaos. What. The. Hell.

Where is the substance? How does this promote RP of good? How does it improve the game to have such absurd restrictions? I don't want to play another alignment. Where is my place in this game?

Please don't even give me the argument "play good alignment from a different class." I already bought credits and class-specific artefacts. Yeah, I read the disclaimer about the class. I get it. But I don't get the total absence of recognition of the magnitude of this fact by the leaders of good, both divine and mortal. Sure, excommunicate me for killing priests or blessing occultists, but don't give me this crap for playing a priest in CYRENE.

While it will be stupid to play a character with 5 abilities, at least my character will be far more brave and realistic than any of yours.

Comments

• A person that does not commit to an ideal is not in fact contributing to that ideal. In Achaea, Cyrenians were deemed as not committed to Good, and that's perfectly reasonable. You can always move to Targossas and keep all your lessons as a show of commitment.
  • Ayami said:
    Neutral-good is not the same as Good, and neutral-Good is not supported by IC reasoning.
    Yes, but at the same time Cyrene doesn't -endorse- Darkness, Chaos, or Evil, which keeps Cyrene separate from anyone else and Cyrene would be the closest thing to an ally Targossas would have had. 

I'm not going to lie, I saw this coming way back when Cyrene gave millions of gold worth of commodities to Targ and the response was 'oh that's nice, screw off' (basically how I saw it, not saying that's what was said, but that's what it seemed like)
    meh

• Even in D&D Cyrene doesn't really pass the Good test! Back when they had the 9 categories of alignment they specifically mentioned that it's not good to just generally be nice, you have to go out of your way to help others to be good. Cyrene as a city doesn't do that.
  • Oh this is great. I love it!

Let me make this WHOLE thread easy. The TL/DR :smile: 

"If your politicians RP being stubborn and blameful, then the city itself has to deal with those RP choices."

Plain and simple. There's no argument about it. Be MAD, but aim that anger at those who caused it.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• I kind of approve, in that it will ensure Priest and Paladin are solidly factional classes. It does suck for the people who don't want the Good faction RP and who'll have to change class, but that's how the cards have been dealt. On the plus side, Cyrene is now entirely justified in saying "get lost" next time Targossas shows up, hopefully taking apart the last typical factional alliance.

From the sounds of it, a lot more people will be changing class instead of moving to Targossas. It'll certainly be interesting to watch as this continues to unfold.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited April 2015
    I find this all a little silly starting from (what I've been told) the theft of a shop of a Cyrenian located in and support Ashtan. personal opinion- so many missteps from both sides of the field it sucks that parties trying to stay GOOD and out of the way got dragged into this.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited April 2015
    Best change for Targossas and Cyrene both since before Bal'met. Just because a few individuals are discontented and put out does not mean that this wasn't a necessary change.

I really hope everyone runs with this and that both cities come out better for it.

Eta: phone typo
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited April 2015
    Tesha said:
    This isn't Verrucht or Aldair (or incidentally Aurora or Deucalion) telling everyone what's going to happen, this is entirely player driven.
    This is one of the things I like - players influencing and impacting the world, for better or worse.

More of that please.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Krypton said:
    Meh. Cyrene isn't good. Not when our citizens just run around killing mhuns in Moghedu and the Tsol'dasi, etc., with reckless abandon.
    They're Good at mass murder, that's all.

(i actually agree with the above point, not just on a Cyrenian level, but on a grander scale of what bashing even means in Achaea)
  • The city of class is inconsequential. No, Targossas isn't the home of Devotion. It is almost as if the in-game propaganda has seeped into your RL minds. It isn't the only way to play a good alignment. Sorry. Good should be a diversity that embraces the continent. The corner in which good resides is ever diminishing. This, again, is not good for the game. It deters interesting and beneficial interaction.

Playing this way will only earn good more losses than its desecrated history already has. How could it ever be surprising that 99% of Cyrenian Devotion-users have and will change class? We didn't choose to be Cyrenian for nothing. We don't want to play good your way.

To the argument that this game is player driven - yes it is, but not in all aspects. This is an issue of balance as important as balancing abilities in classes. Not to mention, there are so many aspects of this game that are protected against bad decisions of players. This, as an aspect of balance, is bad for the game. That's my argument.

I will agree, though, that as depressing as this is, it is a good opportunity for RP in Cyrene. It will inevitably lead to an even more boring atmosphere lacking vital interaction, but Aminah will remain. There is no other class and no other alignment that fits her story. 

• Since this misunderstanding seems to be popular, let me tell you this is my first, last, and only character on Achaea. I joined a few weeks ago after playing Lusternia for a few years.
  • "Good" in Achaea is defined and controlled entirely by the "Good" faction - being Targossas/Aurora/Deucalion. They control Devotion. They can remove anyone's usage of devotion. They have control therefore they define what "Good" is. Just like how Mhaldor defines "Evil" and control Necromancy.

Cyrene was not confirming to the ways of "Good".

Have you considered that your definition of "Good" may differ greatly from what it actually is in Achaea? Perhaps you are letting your OOC thoughts on what "Good" should be colour your opinion on what "Good" actually is in Achaea?
  • edited April 2015
    Yeah, Good in Achaea has always been a theology rather than 'moral good'. Its a literal religion, with the ability to excommunicate you. This is hardly a misunderstanding. There is no overarching moral good. There is what Deucalion and Aurora say what Good is and that's it. Targossas is the home of Devotion because the Bloodsworn Gods say it is, and if you don't like it there are other choices. I personally dislike the whole lose half your lessons thing that often results from it, but I'm really unsure of what to do about that kind of thing.

It will be interesting to see where this leads.
  • So, we're going to get our own factional class now, right?

Just like Hashan did, right?

I mean, they wouldn't leave a whole third of the playerbase out on something like that, right?

Right?
  • Nim said:
    Just like Hashan did, right?
    So you mean not get a factional class and have the idea thrown down each time? :wink: 
  • We have a factional class? Do share what it is. I'm curious.