Coinflip Crowd Sourcing.

About a decade(or close) ago, I discovered a bug in Achaea. I had long suspected it, but I had never actually given it any real thought. I noticed that coins tend to land on tails more often than heads. I'm always the type to bet on tails, so I noticed this trend when I bizarrely won wagers by betting on tails again and again. One day, I decided to test it. After many tests and hundreds of flips, I calculated the odds to be 60/40 in favour of tails. I posted this to the forums, and was ridiculed, but then when people actually tested it, my theory gained backing. Clementius joined the thread and confirmed that some terrible coding was done, and that it was indeed a 60% chance of flipping tails. He fixed it.

After Clementius fixed it, he left an ominous post on the forums, in which he told a story of how once upon a time, he saw a coin land on its side with his own eyes.  In that post, he detailed that he left a "surprise" in the code, that he suspected would take a long time to come to revelation(if it ever would.) He said that when the surprise happened, that the entire game would know.

Since then, a fellow participant of the original 60/40 theory(Trance), along with myself, have attempted to reach this goal. We've flipped hundreds of thousands of coins in the game. But it was a tedious process, and we inevitably gave up each time we embarked to find this. If you assume that the chance is 1 in a million, then it could take weeks of non-stop flipping to finally get the result.  Due to the massive amount of flips needed, there needs to be a concerted group effort if this Easter egg is to ever be found.

To summarize:

Goal: Find the flipcoin Easter egg that Clementius left almost a decade ago.

How you can help: Flip coins. A lot of coins.

I suspect that it can be found by the end of the week if enough people take an interest. I've sat on this information for a very long time. As far as I know, Trance and I are the only ones that even know of its existence. I kept it between us for a long time, in the hopes that one of us would be the one to finally uncover it. It's not going to happen without help. I had pretty much forgotten about it until I noticed some old code in my system for auto-flipping earlier. So after nearly a decade, I finally want to see this happen. 

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Is a coin flipping bot against the rules?

(Also, wouldn't it suck if at some point some other coder had removed the 'surprise', accidentally or otherwise?)
  • edited April 2015
    Doesn't benefit you in any way.  I'm running a coinflip bot right now.

I reckon they'll ask me to stop if they want me to stop. Trance and I are going to be coinflipping non-stop for a while to try to find this, but I still don't know if it'll be enough. Thus, if enough other people get interested in join in, there's a much larger chance of it being found. So if you want to be part of the Coming of the Coin(tm), then join in. Should be pretty legendary.

Response edit: I really doubt a random admin has been through the coinflip script hacking out random things.

I have a failsafe in my system where my coin-flipper will turn off if it achieves a flip that isn't a heads or tails flip.

• How many credits for your advanced coin flip system?
  • edited April 2015
    Will give you this advanced code free of charge this time.

trigger(exact match):
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.

content:

if needtoflip == 1 then

send("flipcoin")

needtoflip = 0

end

Trigger(perl regex)

It hits the ground and you see that the tails side

It hits the ground and you see that the heads side

Content:

needtoflip = 1

Didn't get very fancy with it >_> The requirements were: Will flip coins on balance. Will turn off if a result other than heads/tails occurs.

• Really, Clementius?  It's sort of awesome, and yet, just like always with things he did, I sort of wish I could slap him IRL, just hard enough for it to be satisfying.  Coming of the Coin, the time draws nigh. 
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    edited April 2015
    Santar said:

stuff

Trigger(perl regex)

It hits the ground and you see that the tails side

It hits the ground and you see that the heads side

Content:

needtoflip = 1

Why did you make them regex, and then not put anchors? Begin of line substring(assuming Mudlet) would be the better option;

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    well, I'm in for as long as I'm standing around doing nothing.

• Me too
  • Did Clementius say anything to indicate it was simply a certain chance of happening on any coinflip, rather than having some requirement (like flipping a coin in a specific room, area, or type of room, or in certain weather, or some other situation)?
  • Skye said:
    well, I'm in for as long as I'm standing around doing nothing.
      So, the next four years at least? Gotta be at least that long before Neraeos shows up again.
  • It's a lot worse of a chance than 1 in a million, if I recall! 
  • edited April 2015
    Sena said:
    Did Clementius say anything to indicate it was simply a certain chance of happening on any coinflip, rather than having some requirement (like flipping a coin in a specific room, area, or type of room, or in certain weather, or some other situation)?
    I've been trying to find an archived post. Lemme know if you do.

I can't remember his exact phrasing, but it was interpreted to just mean 'long odds'. I don't think there's a condition other than random chance.

• edited April 2015
    Sarapis said:
    It's a lot worse of a chance than 1 in a million, if I recall! 
    Yeah, one in a million was an optimistic guess from his vague wording.  The fear was that it could be a worse chance. Which is why it's probably gonna take a group effort to dig this one up.

• That's ok. I've been thinking, working, and theorizing about this for probably 8 years or more. 

It's just something I have to see, at this point. I assume there will be a world emote of some sort. Who knows, he may have already coded an honors line into it.

• I checked and actually, you're dead on about the odds btw.
  • edited April 2015
    Ok boys and girls. That's 4 flips a second. 240 flips a minute. 14.4k flips an hour. 

We only need to put in 69 total man hours(everyone combined) average.

We've probably put in about half that back in the day, but we always got burnt out and lost hope. Not this time!

Let's do this thang.

• Everybody's permanently off balance. This thread needs entertainment.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    @Sarapis - are we allowed to run Santar's script without getting in trouble?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    The fact that @Sarapis is posting odds, rather than calling in a stern "No" from @Lorielan, suggests he doesn't care. Probably.
  • NimNim
    edited April 2015
    Nevermind, recursion 101 will be another day. Class is canceled, go home!
  • edited April 2015
    Inuad said:
    Kayeil said:
    The fact that @Sarapis is posting odds, rather than calling in a stern "No" from @Lorielan, suggests he doesn't care. Probably.
    Offering to give out an honors line to the winner is about as close to an endorsement as you can get, I'd say.

Nim said:
    No need for a script, just do:

SETALIAS COINSFUREVER FLIPCOIN / QUEUE ADD EQBAL COINSFUREVER

To stop, CQ ALL.

You're welcome.

(this is probably going to get aliases nerfed or something, isn't it :( )

(edit: also dont actually do this, you'll just keep going even after winning the prize)

Yeah, but that won't stop when you hit it.

When I get to the surprise and am undoubtedly AFK playing Dragon Age or something, I don't want it to be spammed away by 500 coinflips.

I would've just overnighted this for a week long ago, but I actually wanted to be here/paying attention when I got it, which meant that I was always looking after the script..for hours. Was haunting me too bad to continue.

• God help me but I'm doing it.

• NimNim
    edited April 2015
    @Santar: Yeah, the sad thing is, upon reading this thread, I had the above thought process and dismissed the idea, and then my brain went full circle somehow?

Recursion is so awful. D:
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Since Sarapis is promising an honours line, you could probably run it provided you're staring at that screen the whole time you're doing it.

• I'm so in on this when I get home. Just need a secure place to afk that won't drive people insane.
  • I'll throw in at least a couple of hours on this, sure. Can catch up on other stuff while I do it, too.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."