Tacking while Sailing

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
edited October 2012 in The Golden Dais of Creation
Whenever sailing in the direction of the one of the minor compass points, such as ESE, it always seems to perform the second move first. If you're by a chop for instance, and there is room to move east and then south-east immediately after, you cannot use ESE as a direction to move because it will attempt to go SE first, then E second. 

Consider making it to where the first directional point is always the first attempted. If someone is sitting still and turns ESE and starts rowing, it should first attempt to move East, then secondly Southeast.

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Actually, it doesn't always move in one direction or the other first. If you're travelling NNW and you move NW then change course to north, the next time you change course to NNW, it'll move north first. It goes both ways, if you move N first and change to N after that move, it'll go NW first when you go back to NNW.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited October 2012
    Keeping the variation is fine, but I'd prefer if it didn't change the move direction between startup and tick.

Say there's a chop east of you. You set course to ENE and start rowing. It checks northeast first, when you say "row," and lets it through. On the actual movement tick, it checks east, and fails. This is the only real problem I see with the tertiary directions.

Alternatively, hey, let us jink around chops and land.
  • CardanCardan The Garden
    Reading the seafaring code is a little like trying to memorise pi to 15 decimal places (I can do 12 at the moment). Clementius was clearly a very clever man and the sailing code shows it. I'm not ignoring this thread, I'll get back to it once I work out if its possible to do what the OP wants.

I'd be tempted to actually have it try both ways (E then SE or SE then E). It would seem that in this sort of circumstance a little automated common sense should come into play. "I can see those chops to the se so well turn to the east before se" etc.
  • Ha. Reading (and understanding) most coding is much harder than memorizing pi. Just writing it over and over for an hour got me to memorize the first 50 digits back in sixth grade.
  • RIP *clementius. :(

• Always disliked this problem too. Chops can make even the most placid of us go from Dalai Lama to throwing keyboard at the wall in about 10 seconds.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.