Tad disadvantage

Seems to me and I know I haven't been here long but newbees like myself are at such a disadvantage when it comes to combat, Everyone is so much bigger and has artifacts to boot. Very tough uphill battle but  oh well

Comments

• Santar said:
    Would be nice if more low-mid tier people were out fighting each other.

I think it's sad when I see someone that's a low or mid tier trying to fight or duel people and they can't find anyone that doesn't smash them.
    Sooo true. I don't want to fight anyone 'cause everyone that is interested in fighting is almost always over 500% stronger than me XDDD
    ''Dude, I want a horse so bad.....''
    ''Mhaldorians don't say 'dude'.''
    ''Oh.... I still want that horse.''
  • Santar said:

I think it's sad when I see someone that's a low or mid tier trying to fight or duel people and they can't find anyone that doesn't smash them.
    This would be nice. I still find that I atleast learn something when I get smashed. Sometimes the one who defeated me has advice to offer. I feel that this helps make crushing defeats more bearable.  

With that said having more low - mid tier combatants would finish up the learning experience perfectly. Might help me learn faster too.

• edited April 2015
    Wrong thread.
  • edited April 2015
    Aerosi said:
    Santar said:

Sooo true. I don't want to fight anyone 'cause everyone that is interested in fighting is almost always over 500% stronger than me XDDD
    On the other hand, one shouldn't read too much into the "x% stronger than me". Someone who has more lessons in inkmilling than you will show up as "stronger" in honours.

There's something to be said for fighting someone else who has the basic combat abilities (the necessary class skills plus survival) when you don't, but beyond that, skills don't matter much. If you have the basic skills you need for fighting and are better at combat, you will beat people no matter how much stronger honours says they are.

Minor skills and artefacts can be the determining factor if you're both equally good at combat, but they rarely ever come close to making up for player skill. Tael has every skill transed and a few artefacts, but a decent midbie could probably wreck me.
  • Brissan said:
     Seems to me and I know I haven't been here long but newbees like myself are at such a disadvantage when it comes to combat, Everyone is so much bigger and has artifacts to boot. Very tough uphill battle but  oh well
    In addition to what the others said, with regard to arties, what you could do when asking somebody for a duel is request that they not use them (or use fewer of them), to help even things out a bit. Not everybody will agree to it, certainly, but some probably will. And if you spar with people in the arena with the intent to learn, they'll usually be willing to help explain where you can improve and what you could do differently/better next time (and make sure you go back over your logs of a fight to check for yourself as well).

Incidentally, I also agree that artifacts don't make you a good fighter. I'm decently artied, and I know that I'd still get my teeth kicked in against most of the competent PvPers.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."