Leveled shields and the parrying dagger as further development of off-hand defense

The Knight changes are frankly beyond me, and they seem to be very deep and very extensive. Since we are seeing the shield emerge as a tool for the Knight, I was hoping to suggest that it gets developed into a lvl 1, lvl 2, and lvl 3 rather than just the Shield of Absorption. If we are going to see the shield as a combat tool, it seems logical to make leveled power along with leveled stats for it same as the weapons it helps.

Then there's the parrying dagger. Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

The parrying dagger would be a good addition in the same vein. These were used defensively by the off-hand where the dominant hand used something like the rapier. So something of a hybrid between dual wield and sword and shield. I heard that new ideas for weapons are currently not being accepted but when they are, it makes sense to introduce the parrying dagger because it adds depth and strategy by being a weapon/shield hybrid, and it WAS widely used in real sword combat, so it's not like I am proposing something ridiculous like fighting with the kazoo. If it is introduced, it should also have leveled artie versions, and maybe be introduced as not just "parrying dagger" but a few types of it, because there was not just one single parrying dagger historically used. For example, the Wikipedia article speaks of the main gauche, trident dagger and sword breaker.

Thank you for reading my idea.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Daggers/knives can be used for for parrying already (though so can your main-hand weapon), they just won't give any damage reduction like shields do.

I would like if a class used an offhand dagger as part of its class abilities, but I wouldn't give it to knights, especially after so much work just went into giving them four unique fighting styles. I would suggest it for sentinels, since they have a new third skill coming up anyways.
  • @Sena : I am pretty sure parrying daggers are designed differently than normal daggers are. They ARE daggers but not normal daggers in the same sense as a longsword is not a broadsword though both are technically are "swords."
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    This could be pretty great for serpentSerpent and Bard in my opinion. It feels very clunky as a Bard to have a shield and I just never use it, sticking to keeping my harp wielded because i just makes more sense to me. I would definitely use the Place of Eternal song and summoning harmonics more from there so that I could have a off hand parry dagger.
  • This would be awesome considering serpents don't usually use shields in combat. 
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• SoA is very very useful as a Serpent. Don't know where you got the information that they don't use.shields really from.
  • edited March 2015
    Kitiara said:
    This would be awesome considering serpents don't usually use shields in combat. 
    To finish @Santar's statement, serpents will normally switch their whip with their dirk in combat, and keep the shield always on in the other hand. Particularly those with a Shield of Absorption.

• If I could pay to turn my shield into a parrying blade I might. Don't know how appropriate some of the SnB abilities would look with it though. Trip I guess you could hook someone behind a knee and lift, but... eh. :/

• To clarify I've been using shield for hunting not combat. I was under the impression we use our dirk and whip never really thought about quick drawing mid combat to flay off rebouding. hmmm
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Teghaine said:
    This could be pretty great for serpentSerpent and Bard in my opinion. It feels very clunky as a Bard to have a shield and I just never use it, sticking to keeping my harp wielded because i just makes more sense to me. I would definitely use the Place of Eternal song and summoning harmonics more from there so that I could have a off hand parry dagger.
    No need to be wielding an instrument as a bard unless you're actually playing a harmonic, plus bards already have true-parry with their rapier.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."