Forum Rule Idea

I would like to suggest that blatant lying be added as a prohibited action on the forums in the official forum rules.

There are some forum users who will blatantly lie about their actions, the actions of others, how situations happened, etc.

This affects people both ICly and OOCly in various negative ways.

It is childish and adds nothing to the game or forums, and only takes away from the positive things here.

Some lies can very, very negatively impact game players - such as giving false information on how a class compares to another class (for example: let's say I give information that a monk will never, ever be able to kill an Apostate or Infernal because of game imbalances. This is an outright lie, as monks are VERY capable of killing both of these classes. Let's say I was a new player that had been thinking about playing, or even playing a monk - now I don't even want to play, much less a monk, because someone blatantly lied on the forums.)

My idea is that if you think a user is outright lying on the forums this should be a bannable offense. This should also include when the original forum poster has been corrected and continues to post their incorrect information.

The forums should be a positive place where new and old players alike are not given incorrect information on a daily basis. It is very disgusting to see some players repeating things that are not true on an hourly basis, and representing these not true things as "facts".

Comments

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Hook set: troll on
  • Shots fired.

• This is obviously a plot to lol ban me for talking.
  • Stand back, let me make this all about me, Achimrst. :heart: 

Forum vengeance? I like it. I could go back to flagging posts with justified regularity! 

But every thread could potentially de-evolve into a he said/she said. The admin would spend more time 'investigating' supposed liars than they currently do sorting frivolous issues. 

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Establishing mens rea is gonna be a bitch, folks. 
  • @Bluef‌ I could clarify in my original post, but I think most people would understand I don't mean the innocent 'oops I didn't know' misunderstandings. This would more cover the (and this is 100% made up, I've never issued Bluef and she's never issued me) "I issued Bluef for harassment and won", or the "X class has 0% chance against Y class, and Y class can heal more damage than X can ever give out", especially when the accuser does not provide any sort of proof and logs are posted against it.

In short, this would cover the bigger things, or the people who have a massive history of lying in a much larger portion of their posts than the other forum goers.

This is 2015, and Achaea isn't what it was in 2000, 2005, 2010, or even 2013. Those who lie on the forums hurt the income of Achaea, and are a negative impact both in and out of the game.

• Bluef said:
    Stand back, let me make this all about me, Achimrst. :heart: 

Forum vengeance? I like it. I could go back to flagging posts with justified regularity! 

But every thread could potentially de-evolve into a he said/she said. The admin would spend more time 'investigating' supposed liars than they currently do sorting frivolous issues. 

Although yes searching who was right and who was genuinely lying to slander someone would be pretty "lol omg srsly?"
  • edited January 2015
    Achaea forums are too entertaining.  We need to make the forums quieter (not dead, obviously, but far quieter than they are right now) so that when you've got time on your hands, you end up finding somewhere else to hit F5.  I'm really not kidding about that, because someone made a little comment sometime back about people in Aetolia somehow being able to survive on 15 posts per day total, and it made me realize that activity level really might be part of the problem.  

People here are basically always waiting for something, anything to happen, and when it does, it's easily whipped into a cappuchino froth of subtle insults and return volleys.  In the meantime there are a bunch of fairly normal posts to keep people somewhat satsified between mini-dramas (or major ones, if we're "lucky"), but you can log on to these forums at most times of the day and there is *something* to feed our little addiction.  That's not true of the other game forums.  We can't help ourselves, pretty much.  In contrast, I have seen the other forums start to get nasty once in awhile, but it literally just dies out fairly quickly, and at least part of that just might be because there aren't enough people hitting F5, and it's easier for those forums to let something like that die out quickly.  Part of this definitely isn't our fault at all though - we're a bigger game.

Even if people are lying (or just wrong), if this were a more sedate forum, they'd usually just get corrected, and people would move on with little trouble.  My suggestion was to experiment with limiting daily posts (which a few people absolutely thought would kill them if it happened, even temporarily).  We need to slow the forums down a bit.  
  • edited January 2015

What he said.

v
  • Mathonwy said:
    Just need to ban the people who are problems (and keep them banned; why do they keep getting unbanned?).
    I'm imaging a world where this was the case. We'd be down quite a few people, and overall people would be a lot more careful when posting to not be a dick.

While drama is entertaining at times, this would be way more enjoyable more often.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Mathonwy said:
    Just need to ban the people who are problems (and keep them banned; why do they keep getting unbanned?).

• Unfortunately I can't flag posts as abuse on the mobile forums. If a mod could remove the troll posts and those that offer nothing to discuss, that would be great. 

• Like the OP?
  • Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
This discussion has been closed.