A question to the gods about the recent lag since knight changes

Is this still being looked into or have we determined that this is on the side of the players experiencing it? Group combat is still nearly impossible to do for most people, and even 1 v 1 there are still problems at times with huge spikes of lag. This is greatly detracting from the fun factor of this game for me, and makes me not want to play as much. I've spent plenty of money on this game and I really do not want to grow to hate it because I cannot play in an environment reasonably free of lag. I've heard mention that it only affects SVO users like me, but I am not sure. Any information would help me feel better.

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    We've been monitoring everything we've got access to monitor since some people reported this, and so far it there's nothing that we've seen out of the ordinary (we've had a couple of blips of 0.2 seconds of server-side lag today).

That being said, the internet being a massive spiderweb of interconnected networks, as well as things like a single bad trigger being able to introduce a huge amount of lag, can all contribute to "lag".

A couple of options you can try -
    1. Try your client with a completely fresh profile, no triggers, no SVO, and see if you're still getting it.
    2. Try running a ping in a terminal window/command prompt, to see if the issue is network-based, or something else - if it's something network-based, you'll see your ping times go up when you experience a lag spike.

• edited January 2015
    Regarding 2: In case anyone wants to try that and doesn't know how, on Windows you want to open a command prompt (windows key+R, or select Run from the start menu, then type cmd and hit enter) and try "ping -t achaea.com" (without quotes). On OSX, open Terminal and type "ping achaea.com" (you don't need the -t like on Windows). If you aren't running Windows or OSX, you probably know how to use ping.

You can leave it running and switch to it whenever you feel lag to see if the ping times got longer or you dropped packets, and you can hit control+C to make it stop pinging and get some statistics on dropped packets (which should be at or near 0%) and average ping times. If that isn't the case, then you can start to wonder where along the way packets are being lost or delayed - though it's only really fixable if it's the first one or two hops (things you have control over) or the last one or two hops (things IRE has control over).

You may also want to try running the same tests in safe mode to see if the problem is that some program running in the background on your system is periodically demanding all of the bandwidth for a second or two. I had an issue like that where I was getting huge, regular lag spikes in League of Legends and it turned out that Google Music is a little bit overzealous in its demand for bandwidth when it starts precaching the next song.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I had a couple of lag spikes yesterday, but managed to narrow it down to a killTimer for changing my darkshade prio if i had darkshade for x seconds that wasn't pointing at anything. I haven't had any issues since. a 4 year old copy of zmud seems to have 0 lag issues at the moment.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae