Nexus isn't working. Just me?

When I open Nexus, it looks fine at first. My login prompt and tattoo touches look fine, and then the dialog box asking whether I want to load the reflexes on the server comes up.

Historically, when I click "Yes" on that, my font changes a bit and everything thinks for a moment, and then I can interact like usual.

Right now, when I click "Yes", everything blinks a little and all the dialog boxes go blank. I have their layout visible, but no content in any of them. Attempts to execute commands futilely stack up at the top of the screen with nothing reported in return.

If I enter "qq", it brings up the smaller browser-spawned dialog box that says "This will close your client's connection. Are sure you want to leave the page?", which doesn't ordinarily happen upon qq'ing. Then when I agree, it instantly refreshes the page and brings me to the login again.

If, on the first prompt about reflexes on the server, I try clicking "No", everything seems content, but of course then I don't have my system.

I have definitely had successful logins since the last time I changed anything in my system, so I don't think that can be the variable.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
"Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
"Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
"Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster

Comments

• Wait, somebody still uses Nexus?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • I got on fully expecting to switch to Mudlet very soon, but the new Nexus is actually really cool. Completely different from the one I played on years ago. It has a map integrated and other dialogs/channels set up around the sides of the main text space, and it's not too hard to work with. I like it.
    "Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
    "Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
    "Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster
  • I think you're using the HTML5 client which I think is different than nexus? Anyways, yeah, sometimes it seems to do that. Just play without your reflexes for a bit then try and load them later. It took mine 24 hours to stop doing that not that long ago.

• Oh, I thought "Nexus" was still being used as a holdover term. Yes, I'm using whatever the current web-based client on the Achaea website is. :P Thanks, I'll wait it out and see what happens I guess, unless I hear anything conflicting.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tried resetting your layout? There's a button on the bottom-right that looks like an arrow going in a circle - try clicking on that and seeing if it fixes things up.
  • Sorry, I completely forgot to mention that I had tried that. I try to be more thorough in my reporting but I spaced that bit. It didn't help, I'm afraid. :( Thank you for the suggestion, though! Any other ideas?
    Definitely sounds like a problem with your settings then - do you have an export that you can try reimporting and saving?
  • Crud. Not one that's anywhere near recent. I'm certain I've had successful logins since the last time I changed settings, though. :/ I suppose there's a possibility I'm misremembering about that. I'll go take a look at the most recent fiddling I've done in the settings (I did some a few days ago) and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the help!
    No problems at all!
  • Update: Looked through my reflexes for a memory refresher and exported what I have so far in case I can work with it later ... definitely couldn't find any loose ends that I left oddly-defined, or anything, and after rethinking it I'm really pretty darn confident that I logged in a few times since the last reflex edits I made. :/ Any other thoughts hopefully? Or if needing to reset everything is the case (and then I'll just make up everything I can again later from the export), what's my next step?
    Hrrm, you could try looking at the developer tools to see if there's any errors being reported? Depending on your browser, there should be a "developer tools" or "javascript console" that should show you any problems.

Failing that, you can try just re-importing your settings in groups and seeing what's causing it!
  • Cool, that works. I can handle that kind of detective work. I was hoping the error was common enough to be well-precedented and easily resolved, but I suppose I can deal with a challenge. :) Thank you so much! I'll update here when it's resolved.
  • Well ... even beginning detective work was pretty conclusive. I don't think it can be my system. I exported my system for later use/reference of course, then deleted everything I've ever put into the reflexes (just left the entries "(function) onLoad" and "(function) onGMCP" that were there in the first place since I never edited them) ... and the problem persisted.

I then reopened the client and settings, to further revert things to original states (reverted the buttons back to their default state of six default options, turned back on the default numpad movement, basically put everything back as close to its original place as I could remember) ... and then the settings page started being confused itself. When I clicked "Save Client Settings" I no longer got the "System saved!" confirmation pop-up. Funny enough, though, the settings did save, because when I logged out and back in to reopen the settings page, everything was in that original state where I had put it. (The Client Settings page is now successfully giving me that confirmation dialog, so maybe it was a fluke before that it didn't appear before.)

However, still, I cannot say "Yes" to loading the reflexes on the server without the screen's dialogs all going blank afterward, despite the fact that "my" reflexes and "default" reflexes are now identical or nearly identical. :(

Interestingly, while I had my mostly-blank screen open, working on the Client Settings in another tab, I noticed that communication from channels does stack up in the top of the communications frame on the bottom right. I don't know if that's useful at all, but it's an observation so I figured I'd include it. My character is (in?)conveniently in the wilderness way up in the tundra right now so I don't have a way of knowing if my dialog would reflect it if someone would walk by and say something.

Clarification on the "what happens when I try to execute commands" observation -- I just realized that only attempts to execute *keybound* commands result in echoes at the top of the screen with no return (example shown in screenshot below) -- but any *typed* command attempt, once I hit enter, prompts the "This will close your client's connection. Are you sure you want to leave this page?" dialog from Chrome. Turns out it wasn't just "qq".

Here's a link to a screenshot of how things look for me right now, so you can see what's present and what isn't, in case there are any useful clues there.

Here's my //version info:

Google Chrome39.0.2171.99 (Official Build) m
    Revision800fe26985bd6fd8626dd80f710fae8ac527bd6b-refs/branch-heads/2171@{#470}
    OSWindows 
    Blink537.36 (@186555)
    JavaScriptV8 3.29.88.17
    Flash16.0.0.257

That's everything I've got ... Any suggestions?
  • Hmm, are you using any chrome extensions? If so, what happens if you disable them?
  • Good call, I totally meant to test this in Incognito and/or as a new fully extension-less Chrome user (since my Incognito still has a few enabled), but totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Now that I've tried it, though ... I'm afraid I get the exact same result, even on a new Chrome profile with zero extensions at all. :(

I've also tried this across two computers now, although to be fair my bf and I have similar software setups and the same Java versions and all that (is that even relevant? I updated that on both computers just in case :P ), so it wasn't really that much of a variable-change.

So ... yeah. :( Sorry to keep pestering you guys with this one. If we can't figure it out, I'll survive, I'll convert to Mudlet like I've thought of doing forever anyway, but I'm also invested in this mystery itself now! :P Let me know if you have any more ideas. Thanks for all the help.
  • The client doesn't use Java, so that shouldn't affect anything. Really weird, I tried loading your settings, and it has worked fine for me.

We have a new version of the client coming in a week or two, hopefully that will help.
  • Funky. :/ Maybe I'll install Mozilla and try it on that just for kicks. I can't imagine what's still up at this point. Thanks again for the help!