Augmentation: Augment

Cutting% 46; Blunt% 27; Magic% n/a Should augment be able to add small amounts of magic defense to armour? I was thinking up to 3 levels of the enchantment, each adding 2-3% resistance. I assume its function(s) will change with forging stats being static.
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• Is this needed? It's a fun idea, but it's a PVP nerf to all sources of magic damage, for no particular reason. It's power-creep.

You could also give them an enchantment that reduces all bleeding by 20%. And that would be a fun idea too. But it would also be a nerf to all classes that deal bleeding damage, for no reason - those classes don't need to be nerfed.
  • While reading this, I thought this was some super cool idea to let augmentations give armor specific resistance bonuses, like maybe you could give this set of armor +5% vs fire, or that set +3% vs electricity/magic, or another set +5% vs blunt.

Then I realized it wasn't.

Also I realized that this idea would just convince people to wear the best armor vs the class they're currently fighting, and the few classes with multiple, legitimate damage type options wouldn't really be able to capitalize much unless the armor said something like "chainmail augmented against electricity," which is super wordy and awkward.

Then I didn't like the idea that much, but it was still cool for the first five minutes, so maybe there's something in there worth salvaging.
  • Actually it's a buff to people who can't afford arties. My basis was the Ring of the Magus. You can get no forms of magic resistance other than a ring enchantment, until you get an artie that gives 26% reduction. So it's actually 9% resistance in comparison. An magic enchant that would wear off after a time and need re-enchanting, just like magic rings.

But like I said, it could be like 5 enchant slots, and Augment adds 3% resist to a random type on the armour: cold, asphyx, poison, psychic, etc. 

On average that would be about 2% nerf per damage type possible. Then you could increase every skill's damage by 2%, which would only nerf Magi, horkval, and dragons, none of which would complain I imagine.
  • edited December 2014
    Xith said:
    Actually it's a buff to people who can't afford arties.
    ??
    How is it not a buff to people who can afford arties too?
  • No, in other words you have some intro level of resist before getting an artie. Besides a resist ring and its 8% or whatever. Obvious solution being to also bring the Magus ring down a similar amount for artied people.

But with a better understanding of how new forging works I don't know if stat variation is going to be huge for them. Then again, this is an augmentation idea. But they said augment is being replaced with something cool too so for all we know it could be this. I always wondered why armour had a display for % magic resist when nothing ever has it.
  • edited December 2014
    So what will happen is that the artied people will have the ring of the magus and this augmentation, simply raising the base line, and changing nothing.

Edit: Oh, there is one thing it would change: maintenance costs for your character, and enchanters would have a new thing to sell.
  • Xith said:
    I always wondered why armour had a display for % magic resist when nothing ever has it.
    Ring of the Magus.
  • Nexes said:
    So what will happen is that the artied people will have the ring of the magus and this augmentation, simply raising the base line, and changing nothing.

Edit: Oh, there is one thing it would change: maintenance costs for your character, and enchanters would have a new thing to sell.
    Xith said:
    No, in other words you have some intro level of resist before getting an artie. Besides a resist ring and its 8% or whatever. Obvious solution being to also bring the Magus ring down a similar amount for artied people.

Here, champ, why don't you give the top line a shot for me:

• Can we just delete threads that include a poll with no way of disagreeing with the OP? Not constructive at all.

• Cooper said:
    Can we just delete threads that include a poll with no way of disagreeing with the OP? Not constructive at all.
    Right after delete Cooper. :D 
    P.S. You smell like old people and soap.
  • Since we're now on the subject of not reading things
    Is this needed? It's a fun idea, but it's a PVP nerf to all sources of magic damage, for no particular reason. It's power-creep.

You could also give them an enchantment that reduces all bleeding by 20%. And that would be a fun idea too. But it would also be a nerf to all classes that deal bleeding damage, for no reason - those classes don't need to be nerfed.
    If the goal is to reduce magical damage across the board, that can be done by reducing magical damage across the board.  But that's heavy-handed and doesn't take into account other classes/abilities that do magical damage.  You'd be nerfing things that don't need a nerf.

The argument that this is a buff for non-artied players is also rather dubious; it's only a buff for players who don't deal magical damage.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • It's entry-level magic resist. If it stacks with ring of the Magus and that's a worry, reduce Magus' effectiveness proportionately.

And if certain crybabies want a refund, then I bet they'd be more than sort of welcome to one maybe.
  • Xith said:
    Nexes said:

Xith said:
    No, in other words you have some intro level of resist before getting an artie. Besides a resist ring and its 8% or whatever. Obvious solution being to also bring the Magus ring down a similar amount for artied people.

Here, champ, why don't you give the top line a shot for me:

Oh, I missed that suggestion.

Well definitely disagree then.
  • Xith said:
    It's entry-level magic resist. If it stacks with ring of the Magus and that's a worry, reduce Magus' effectiveness proportionately.

And if certain crybabies want a refund, then I bet they'd be more than sort of welcome to one maybe.

Addama said:
    If the goal is to reduce magical damage across the board, that can be done by reducing magical damage across the board.

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Ultimately what it would do is make magic more effective against people who can't wear armour, like I said.
    But this is getting super repetitive so either way, I resign.
  • In other news, the old @Xith‌ is back. Prepare for more idea threads
  • Kafziel said:
    In other news, the old @Xith‌ is back. Prepare for more idea threads
    Oh just you wait, I'm gonna propose that Bards get dubstep skills.
    Wobblestance - all rapier abilities instantly blow the target's mind. If they are tweens, they also soil themselves for some reason.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Kafziel said:
    In other news, the old @Xith‌ is back. Prepare for more idea highdea threads
    ftfy
  • I see Xith is employing the time-honored tradition of quantity over quality when it comes to ideas.

• Trey said:
    I see Xith is employing the time-honored tradition of quantity over quality when it comes to ideas.
    He got the idea from watching you forge.
  • Yeah all 2 of those ideas are really piling up.