When I was a Newbie...

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I love this thread now.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Lorielan said:
    Vastar said:
    I created the atavians, but was still so flabbergasted from losing to goddamned @Lorielan in the War of Humanity that I can't even remember how.
    For the best, We have more than enough flying rats for one planet.
    Oi now, while I don't follow @Vastar -Vabs mmmmm- I can still admire him and my beautiful wings! I am no where NEAR a rat....possibly a drowned racoon but still.. Wait, now I need a tail. Ugh.

• My case in point.
  • Lorielan said:
    My case in point.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

- There was never anything to bash, because @Asarawould already kill everything.

- Covenant :(

(Sentinels): Farret says, "Back from news... miss anything exciting?"
    (Sentinels): Covenant says, "Not particularly."
    (Sentinels): Covenant says, "Just talking about size."
    (Sentinels): Farret says, "I was always told that size doesn't matter."
    (Sentinels): Covenant says, "Of gwho."

- Clementius :(

(Eleusis): Avritine says, "Thank god."
    (Eleusis): Clementius says, "You're welcome."

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Vastar said:
    I created the atavians, but was still so flabbergasted from losing to goddamned @Lorielan in the War of Humanity that I can't even remember how.
    I bet it involved alcohol and a chicken.

• Kresslack said:
    Vastar said:
    I bet it involved alcohol and a chicken.
    I bet the egging on by the other gods looked something like this:

Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Vastar said:
    Probably the same reason so few pegasi are around, you ripped their wings off to sew them on random humans
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited December 2014
    I remember weathering being the best skill ever, because it stopped you from freezing to death in cold weather.

Credits for gametime, and the aft laws enforced because of it.

Pills instead of herbs.

Arteach auctions.

Dresden becoming Achaea's first "Artie Whore".

Organizanu on enforcing names, my first character had to name change because the name did not fit Shallam, sounded too evil.
  • Another random fun one. Buying credits meant turning on lesson gain, which netted you 6 lessons per hour (using up one credit in the process).

And people complain about learning time now.

Kids these days, so impatient.

(the credits page was originally credits to the creators, Matt and company, with a tiny link at the bottom that led to the real credits page with instructions on where to mail it to)
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited December 2014
    When I was a newbie, I didn't have a credit card, so I had to buy credits via money order...which meant a 4 day wait for the airmail to arrive, and then another 5 for the order to clear.  It was edge of the seat anticipation.  Also, the different credit packages were listed as different meal items on a menu, so cool.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • @Emry
    Ratting. 
    Ratting. 
    More Ratting. 
    Before maps - Getting lost In Hashan almost everyday. 
  • edited December 2014
    When I was a newbie.... Daje was the biggest, baddest thief around town. 

When I was a newbie.... Similar to @Xith.. I would WALK TO NOT before going ANYWHERE (but usually only went to Hashan), and then from there I memorized the way.. I remember crossing the Shunai Bridge as well as what I thought at the time, the Australia forest. 

When I was a newbie.... Level 24 was hard.. the great rock? Damn near impossible. I would start over at this point with a new character.. Same class, same city (Shaman, Hashan).. Shaman was the strongest hunter at the time, could one hit hellcats which was rarer back then.

When I was a newbie.... I was only 12 (#rebel), and was brought into the game because my older sister and her boyfriend at the time  in highschool used it as a secret communication method when his phone privileges were lost ( @Sarapis‌bet you never saw that use for Achaea coming :) ).  Anyways, I would walk around Shallam YELLing for them to come back for me because I was lost.. But I used their IRL names.. Yeah I was that sort of newbie. 

When I was a newbie.... Going from Fish Street and then suddenly on Zanzibar blew my mind for some reason. 

When I was a newbie.... I was basically exactly like this kid who came to Targossas a few months ago

Yeah.. I highly recommend clicking that link. (Skip down to the tells, and then further down where I go visit Aje)
  • You could still make someone read an affliction letter or journal. If you're cool with being leafy. 
    I prefer timing hocuspocus to go off 4 times consecutively. 
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • More things springing to mind...

Holocaust timers were precise.

Stupidity could make you do anything, like quit your guild, or even hit a command that only Sarapis was supposed to have access to. Not sure if this was in my time or warnings of it got passed down to me, though, because I never stupidly quit my guild or anything, but I had enough respect for the affliction to cure it quickly.

Serpentlords could buy a ring from their guild vendor that was secretly a ring of flying.
  • Neraya said:
    The tundra was just Kamleikan and Aran'riod, but you could tumble out of bounds on the wilderness.
    That reminds me, before ships were implemented (and I think for a very short time after?) you could evade through the oceans in the wilderness if you had waterwalking.
  • I remember when guild items cost 5k gold and were non-decay. Still have a pair of original Sartanic scabbards.

I remember credits for 2k on market. *daydream*

I remember getting told off by Daitya for wearing ringmail as an Infernal, I knew fieldplate was better but I thought ringmail looked cooler.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Newbie tasks including walking to places like Manara and Actar and doing 'TOUCH STONE' for experience.

Learning that people could bury (and later dig up) caches with a shovel. I spent like a week just running around digging everywhere, and I eventually found a huge cache of armour and weapons in a Wilderness room which I sold to Firey for about 50k. I remember thinking I must be one of the richest people in the game now.

Exploring Kamleikan for the first time and finding a bunch of hairy women.

Having a run in with Amunet at the Fire and Spice where she kept trying to tell me to leave because I was an 'Outsider' (not and Occultist) but I was too stubborn to comply and loitered just to spite her.

Getting locked in that stupid statue room in Azdun and freaking out, especially when I learned that sigil on the ground there prevented portals and people from summoning me.

• Sena said:
    Neraya said:
    The tundra was just Kamleikan and Aran'riod, but you could tumble out of bounds on the wilderness.
    That reminds me, before ships were implemented (and I think for a very short time after?) you could evade through the oceans in the wilderness if you had waterwalking.
    There's another one - waterwalking boots didn't let you walk on water, just swim without drowning, so those travelling in states where you couldn't SWIM (like astralform) could be thwarted by a puddle.
  • Kresslack said:

Having a run in with Amunet at the Fire and Spice where she kept trying to tell me to leave because I was an 'Outsider' (not and Occultist) but I was too stubborn to comply and loitered just to spite her. 

I remember fighting with the Occultists when they started trying to pull that crap, I was half tempted to start throwing parties there nightly just to annoy the ever loving piss out of them. 
  • Erhon said:
    Kresslack said:

I remember fighting with the Occultists when they started trying to pull that crap, I was half tempted to start throwing parties there nightly just to annoy the ever loving piss out of them. 
    Oh you missed it deary, we did that while you were sleeping. Tcha!

• Sena said:
    Neraya said:
    Definitely, I sometimes still forget I can't do that anymore D: