Puppet/Vodun Summon

Monolith sigils exist to prevent certain types of travel and, more relevantly, most types of summon. However, vodun and I assume puppet summon do not respect this counter. The result is that if you allow someone to get enough fashions on you during a raid or skirmish, it is quite literally impossible to prevent being summoned into a pre-set room and killed. Especially with the spirit Maligus bound, it is very easy for a shaman to wrack up fashions quickly in a raid setting. Thus I propose that vodun and puppet summon be changed to respect monolith sigils, bringing them in line with other types of summon such as brazier, deliver, and empress.

One potential argument against this change would be that while the use upon an enemy is admittedly overpowered, one must also consider its use on an ally. My counter to such an argument is that it would be easy to simply change it to respect mutual ally status. If they are mutual allies, it ignores monolith and thus retains its usefulness for helping out your team, but also prevent its use against an enemy in the same fashion.

Another comment I heard when discussing the proposed change with someone was that it can be countered by having your own ally summon you back. However, suggesting the counter to a broken mechanic is to use the exact same mechanic is not a reasonable reaction, and does not fix the underlying problem.

Thoughts/comments/concerns/insults?

(plz no insults :( )

Comments

• These bitches love sosa.
  • Deliverance respects monoliths, why shouldn't Puppetry/Vodun Summon?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • edited December 2014
    That's poor reasoning, @Addama. The simple answer to your question is that they are different abilities belonging to entirely different classes with different prerequisites and thus they exist in very different contexts. 

I'd prefer it just respect mutual ally and maybe be channeled for its balance time, firing on recovery (which leads to furthee interesting implications without being overpowered). 
  • edited December 2014
    Addama said:
    Deliverance respects monoliths, why shouldn't Puppetry/Vodun Summon?
    Fine. I'll settle when deliver respects area.
  • Antidas said:

One potential argument against this change would be that while the use upon an enemy is admittedly overpowered, one must also consider its use on an ally. My counter to such an argument is that it would be easy to simply change it to respect mutual ally status. If they are mutual allies, it ignores monolith and thus retains its usefulness for helping out your team, but also prevent its use against an enemy in the same fashion.
    VODUN SUMMON
    Fashions:
                       Required: 30
                       Used    : 6

VODUN COMMAND <command>

Fashions:
                       Required: 25
                       Used    : 1

Even with this its possible to force ally/summon with 31 fashions. Only 1 more than summon itself. Only 2 more if they have to force unenemy first. Although this would perhaps make you feel a better (or worse?) about getting ripped into an enemy group it can still be worked around pretty easily. I believe making it respect ally would be fair seeing as it would be on par with lust/empress in terms of keeping up with your ally/enemy list.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    If Vodun/Puppet summon is changed to respect monolith, it should be changed where we can do it across continent. Fashions still make it more difficult than deliverance.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• It's most certainly not an oversight. It used to be fine prior to fashioning being made much more quick with burst gain and ws merely a unique point of the ability. Now I can see the point being made that it's too strong in group fights as an offensive tool. So you approach that facet of it - make it respect mutual ally.

It would also be cool if manipulating enemy/ally lists were to be hidden in blackout, as they currently aren't. Something for classleads though.

• Not sure why nobody has mentioned that puppet travel is massively different than Deliver, in that it works against enemies, not just your allies.  That's why Deliver is a world summon, and puppet summon is area only.  This was specifically changed after the Qashar used it to summon everyone into their kill room, just as Deliver was changed to require Preaching for the same reason.

I actually didn't know that puppet summon ignored monoliths (if it actually does).  If so, that's pretty seriously broken.

Not sure why Jesters need Empress and puppet summon, just for ally "deliverance", anyways.  You have a pretty amazing ability specifically designed to "Deliver" people (it's nearly identical, except it works worldwide), not sure why you need two (one of which allegedly ignores monoliths).
  • edited December 2014
    Ernam said:

Not sure why Jesters need Empress and puppet summon, just for ally "deliverance", anyways.  
    Because Summon ignores monoliths, but only area wide. Empress respects monoliths, but is continent wide. Duh.

Great vs equally stupid things like beckon into denizen guards.
  • edited December 2014
    Daeir said:
    Jovolo said:
    It's most certainly not an oversight. It used to be fine prior to fashioning being made much more quick with burst gain and ws merely a unique point of the ability. Now I can see the point being made that it's too strong in group fights as an offensive tool. So you approach that facet of it - make it respect mutual ally.
    That's what an oversight is, dear.
    Dom't be disingenuous. You made no mention as to the recent changes being the oversight. You specifically said it was the mono aspect of it.
  • Ernam said:

This was specifically changed after the Qashar used it to summon everyone into their kill room, just as Deliver was changed to require Preaching for the same reason.
    I don't know about Summon, but I can say that the Qashar had absolutely nothing to do with the Deliver changes.
  • The difference I see here, is that Vodun Summon is not an instant summoning ability. You have to allow someone to get 30 fashions of you in the first place and be in the same area as they are. You stay away from any Shaman or Jester for an hour and there is your counter their fashions reset
  • Achimrst said:
    The difference I see here, is that Vodun Summon is not an instant summoning ability. You have to allow someone to get 30 fashions of you in the first place and be in the same area as they are. You stay away from any Shaman or Jester for an hour and there is your counter their fashions reset
    In the past, yes.  However, the current argument is that Maligus allows for immensely quick fashioning (which is does).
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Kuy said:
    Achimrst said:
    The difference I see here, is that Vodun Summon is not an instant summoning ability. You have to allow someone to get 30 fashions of you in the first place and be in the same area as they are. You stay away from any Shaman or Jester for an hour and there is your counter their fashions reset
    In the past, yes.  However, the current argument is that Maligus allows for immensely quick fashioning (which is does).
    immensely quick? I can tell you I use Maligus and I don't gain them immensely quick. At best in a raid I get maybe four or five before they die and I have to switch target and make a new doll. If you are getting them immensely quick I would love to see that because unfortunately unless you lock them Manaleech isn't that reliable in a raid and to say that the shaman or jester didn't work for those fashions to get as many as possible is just stupid it is not extremely easy to get that many fashions and if it is, than your apostate or priest were going to instant kill you from low mana anyway. I am also very sure that Monks do something similar by stripping cloak and having someone brazier you into the room or whatever they do.

Why don't you start vodun summoning people and see how easy it actually is? Post some logs of your extremely easy to get fashions too I would love to see some Vodun using shaman love.
  • Achimrst said:
    Kuy said:
    Achimrst said:
    immensely quick? I can tell you I use Maligus and I don't gain them immensely quick. At best in a raid I get maybe four or five before they die and I have to switch target and make a new doll. If you are getting them immensely quick I would love to see that because unfortunately unless you lock them Manaleech isn't that reliable in a raid and to say that the shaman or jester didn't work for those fashions to get as many as possible is just stupid it is not extremely easy to get that many fashions and if it is, than your apostate or priest were going to instant kill you from low mana anyway. I am also very sure that Monks do something similar by stripping cloak and having someone brazier you into the room or whatever they do.

Why don't you start vodun summoning people and see how easy it actually is? Post some logs of your extremely easy to get fashions too I would love to see some Vodun using shaman love.
    I will just go back to watching Kross bitch about Dartega vodun summoning him repeatedly, and the the fact that he routinely gets 30-60 fashions in a fight.

Just because you're not doing it, doesn't mean other people aren't doing it.  Not to mention, the fashion number scales pretty heavily with manaloss, and Mhaldor is a faction that does a lot a mana draining.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • I didn't say because I wasn't doing it that it wasn't possible, every city has their own strengths based on the classes they let in. Kross could just target him and kill him in a raid group fight or earring in when he thinks he has a doll of him. All I'm saying is it's not easy for Every shaman to do this it seems to be a Mhaldorian thing since they can mana drain really well.

Which personally I don't see this as a bad thing, it's a useful tactic and I'm very sure there are ways around it such as Kross killing Dartega first and erasing his doll from him before he gets enough fashions to do this. Yet it sounds like the Apostate or whoever is helping leech would have fed the Apostate the kill in the first place! So his making fashions could be a great way to know when to instant apostate mana kill someone ( I forgot the ability name, absolve?) with a trigger to send to party or something.
  • Rofl. Yeah, @Achimrst. If only I had the log where @Dartega got like 100 fashions in 10(?) seconds. He would have to confirm exactly how fast it was.

You say "your apostate or priest was going to kill you anyway" as if you cannot get fashions via maligus AND cath/absolve, and then have not only a dead enemy but a doll to summon them with when they come back.

Summon has always been ridiculously OP though. It has little to do with maligus. Dartega got a number of fashions against enemies via normal fashioning, and can still abuse the shit out of summoning that way.

If we are going to fix the ability, though, not sure why we'd allow mutual allies to ignore monolith, since that's OP too. Might as well just make monolith always stop it.

Could make it usable on a monolith too, but with a channel and a message, much like displace. You see it start, you have to move to stop it. Could still save allies on monolith then, but it would be slightly slower. Could force enemies to move to stop it, which I think is fine given that you have to get a doll just to do that. Could summon enemies and allies instantly if no monolith.

• Xinna said:

Rofl. Yeah, @Achimrst. If only I had the log where @Dartega got like 100 fashions in 10(?) seconds. He would have to confirm exactly how fast it was.

You say "your apostate or priest was going to kill you anyway" as if you cannot get fashions via maligus AND cath/absolve, and then have not only a dead enemy but a doll to summon them with when they come back.

Summon has always been ridiculously OP though. It has little to do with maligus. Dartega got a number of fashions against enemies via normal fashioning, and can still abuse the shit out of summoning that way.

If we are going to fix the ability, though, not sure why we'd allow mutual allies to ignore monolith, since that's OP too. Might as well just make monolith always stop it.

Could make it usable on a monolith too, but with a channel and a message, much like displace. You see it start, you have to move to stop it. Could still save allies on monolith then, but it would be slightly slower. Could force enemies to move to stop it, which I think is fine given that you have to get a doll just to do that. Could summon enemies and allies instantly if no monolith.

Yeah, but this seems like his whole strategy, getting fashions is an attack! You're basically saying him attacking in his way sucks for you, I'm glad he can get 100 in 10sec although I'm sure that the person he was fighting was extremely drained in Mana and the most I have ever got was 18 fashions with like 5% mana. If someone just sits and fashions to 30 and then walks to guards and summons that is their entire attack! they don't get a kill for that unless they happen to kill the person before the guards.

Summoning an ally is basically what earring did before, perhaps the vodun summon should be something similar to displace or grove summon so you can leave the area and dodge it?
  • Antidas said:
    Monolith sigils exist to prevent certain types of travel and, more relevantly, most types of summon. However, vodun and I assume puppet summon do not respect this counter. The result is that if you allow someone to get enough fashions on you during a raid or skirmish, it is quite literally impossible to prevent being summoned into a pre-set room and killed. Especially with the spirit Maligus bound, it is very easy for a shaman to wrack up fashions quickly in a raid setting. Thus I propose that vodun and puppet summon be changed to respect monolith sigils, bringing them in line with other types of summon such as brazier, deliver, and empress.

Another comment I heard when discussing the proposed change with someone was that it can be countered by having your own ally summon you back. However, suggesting the counter to a broken mechanic is to use the exact same mechanic is not a reasonable reaction, and does not fix the underlying problem.

Thoughts/comments/concerns/insults?

(plz no insults :( )
    30 fashions (required) is still a lot of fashions. I don't know many shamans or jesters who even focus on fashions in a raid, but with with the advent of spiritlore I could see some people starting to use strategies like this so I'm sure the concern is valid. 

One thing to think about is that not everyone utilizes Maligus in their typical PvP set up, so the argument that it makes it too easy to get fashions is a bit off. I can see your point entirely, but summoning already requires the person to be in the area you're in. The simple way to counter it is to leave the area once someone has fashioned you up that much (or not to let them do so).

I do like the idea that it if mutual ally status is in place it would ignore the monolith - but you can currently force someone to ally you, so I'm not sure that in the end that idea solves what you're hoping to.

Also from a RP standpoint, it would make no sense for a non-vodun/puppetry user to be able to use sympathetic magical bonds just because a doll of them was made. 
  • @Bluef are you trolling?
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014

Xinna said:

Rofl. Yeah, @Achimrst. If only I had the log where @Dartega got like 100 fashions in 10(?) seconds. He would have to confirm exactly how fast it was.

I'd have to see the log of the fight, but if someone got 100 fashions in a raid skirmish in 10 seconds that does seem a bit OP. But it also could be a result of someone not paying better attention to something they probably should (mana changes). 

I really hope you guys don't nerf a great skill down to nothing more than a brazier tattoo though. I see the points you're making but then why have vodun summon at all? Just get a brazier or prism tattoo to summon/force the person to move. 

Although the complaints and ideas here seem semi-reasonable, my one concern is that everyone is speaking about game mechanics and ignoring the roleplay. Why would a mundane monolith sigil impact a spiritual connection to someone? Yeah, I know I'm being stupid. You don't care about that. But I do. Lots of shamans who roleplay might too.
  • Roleplay justifications do not mesh well with mechnical justifications.  If it did, everyone would either be super OP or super UP.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    Kuy said:
    Roleplay justifications do not mesh well with mechnical justifications.  If it did, everyone would either be super OP or super UP.
    Not necessarily. Changing class abilities without any IC roleplay about the changes is one of the things that diminishes the immersion in Achaea. I think we can do better because. Don't you?
  • Mizik said:
    @Bluef are you trolling?
    What part of my response sounds like a troll?
  • The argument that you can force someone to ally you and then summon them, thus changing it to respect mutual allies is a bad solution isn't really that valid. The reason being is that you can do something to prevent it in that case - unally them before they summon you. The reason I am saying vodun summon is overpowered is because it does -not- have a reasonable counter, so giving you the counter of having to unally them after a forced ally seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Dunn said:
    This is what classleads are for. This kind of thing just inevitably becomes a messy circle jerk.
    I'd agree except that would require waiting for the next round which could be who knows when, and honestly, I don't particularly want to have to deal with being summoned all over the place during raids until they open them up again.

Bluef said:

I really hope you guys don't nerf a great skill down to nothing more than a brazier tattoo though. I see the points you're making but then why have vodun summon at all? Just get a brazier or prism tattoo to summon/force the person to move. 
    Bad logic, vodun summon would still be far more powerful than a brazier tattoo even with the proposed nerf. Brazier requires stripping a particular defense which everyone has on keepup for it to work, whereas summon would just require them not to be on a monolith.

• Bluef said:

Why would a mundane monolith sigil impact a spiritual connection to someone?
    Because they're not so mundane, and that's kind of what monolith sigils do... There's already the precedent there with Devotion Deliverance being prevented by it.
  • Antonius said:
    Bluef said:

Why would a mundane monolith sigil impact a spiritual connection to someone?
    Because they're not so mundane, and that's kind of what monolith sigils do... There's already the precedent there with Devotion Deliverance being prevented by it.
    B-but realism Antonius, realism.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited December 2014

Bluef said:

Bad logic, vodun summon would still be far more powerful than a brazier tattoo even with the proposed nerf. Brazier requires stripping a particular defense which everyone has on keepup for it to work, whereas summon would just require them not to be on a monolith.
    I could totally see cloak stopping vodun summon since it is very similar to Brazier, that way we can have a good use for vodun strip!

Although if this was the case, I would like to see the fashion cost reduced to maybe four or something six and random stripping seems a bit high to me.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I just think that maligus is one of the things that has to be rebalanced because of spiritlore being a new skill. idgaf if summon/travel is changed considering that every other skill like it has been changed to have limitations, but after reading the posts, I feel like the larger problem is with the supporting skills and those should be fixed first.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.