Proctoring an exam

Is it bad that I'm giving these students a final for a 3000 level college course and I'm playing Achaea at the same time? Damn you and your addictive ways Achaea...

Comments

• I've been logged into Achaea while giving a lecture before...
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    @Masaryk - Here I thought I was the only one to sink to such levels of professional depravity!

Edit: Hold on, student has a question about the exam *switches browsers* Okay, I'm back. B)
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Bluef said:
    @Masaryk - Here I thought I was the only one to sink to such levels of professional depravity!

Edit: Hold on, student has a question about the exam *switches browsers* Okay, I'm back. B)
    Hahah, exactly. Maybe I could pass it off as some statistical program or something if I was caught, lol.

• 3000 level? Round here, 100 is freshman undergrad and 800 is the end of Ph.D. dissertation research; I'd say by the time they get to 3000, they shouldn't need you around at all, let alone care what else you're doing while proctoring.
  • XerXer Langley
    Last time I was playing Achaea while proctoring an exam, a female student asked me to go to the washroom - 5 minutes later, she was found collapsed from exam anxiety by a female invigilator that I asked to check up on her >.>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • EldEld
    edited December 2014
    Xer said:
    Last time I was playing Achaea while proctoring an exam, a female student asked me to go to the washroom - 5 minutes later, she was found collapsed from exam anxiety by a female invigilator an invigilatrix that I asked to check up on her >.>
    Was she made more anxious by you playing Achaea?

Also, is invigilator a commonly used word in UK/Canadian academic settings? I've never come across it before.
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Eld said:
    3000 level? Round here, 100 is freshman undergrad and 800 is the end of Ph.D. dissertation research; I'd say by the time they get to 3000, they shouldn't need you around at all, let alone care what else you're doing while proctoring.
    The numbers vary from university to university. So, during my undergraduate and masters, my university was set up like yours, with 100 being freshman, 200 being sophomore, etc. Other schools just add an extra 0 to it...not really sure what it's about. So, 1000 is freshman, 2000 is sophomore, etc.

@Bluef, what exactly do you teach?

• Masaryk said:
    Eld said:
    3000 level? Round here, 100 is freshman undergrad and 800 is the end of Ph.D. dissertation research; I'd say by the time they get to 3000, they shouldn't need you around at all, let alone care what else you're doing while proctoring.
    The numbers vary from university to university. So, during my undergraduate and masters, my university was set up like yours, with 100 being freshman, 200 being sophomore, etc. Other schools just add an extra 0 to it...not really sure what it's about. So, 1000 is freshman, 2000 is sophomore, etc.

@Bluef, what exactly do you teach?
    Undergraduate English. I used to be at a major private University, but I pretty much felt the way Mhaldor does about the viscid mass in their city about its corporate identity and culture. After spending 10 years teaching 300-400 level courses prepping students for graduate work and professional/technical writing gigs, I started specializing in things I loved: Academic service learning and developmental education (which they had to call 'transitional learning' because God forbid we call a thing what it is). I've been at a community college the past 2 years - the same college I attended as a freshman/sophomore - and I couldn't be happier focusing on preparation for college courses one semester and the composition sequence the next.