Forging Revamp

edited December 2014 in North of Thera
The Forging revamp is nearly done and while I'm not going to answer questions about it here, I am going to ask for your input! 

In the new forging, you're not just going to end up with "a shining steel longsword." Instead, you (the forger) will choose up to two descriptors (adjectives) from a provided list of them, such as 'shimmering' or 'rusted' or 'fearsome'. Some descriptors will increase the comm cost of the weapon or armour in question, and some descriptors can only be applied to certain kinds of things - no "sinuous battleaxes". Some are only usable if you're in the correct organization.

In any case, what I need are more descriptors. I've got 100 of them currently, but wish to have more so thought I'd crowdsource suggestions here. The 'rules' are basically that the descriptor can't imply some kind of magical property. I also don't need location-based descriptors or House or Orders descriptors. If we choose to do more of those, we'll do so later. Also not looking for material-based descriptors. Suggest away!

What I have currently:

ugly
tapering
sharp
dull
small
pointed
lightweight
curved
straight
nimble
pitted
dented
ragged
worn
plain
ordinary
rustic
unadorned
primitive
Ashtani
Targossian
Cyrenian
Hashani
Mhaldorian
Eleusian
simple
devastating
overpowering
enormous
gigantic
grand
immense
colossal
extravagant
massive
barbed
stunning
fancy
flashy
costly
ornate
gaudy
grandiose
ostentatious
huge
barbaric
spiked
blackened
golden
diamond-edged
serrated
brutal
gleaming
shining
graceful
elegant
big
large
razor-sharp
keen
knife-edged
honed
jagged
bulky
lustrous
polished
sleek
sizable
ponderous
beefy
impressive
deadly
powerful
exquisite
indomitable
well-made
flawless
solid
sturdy
gilded
rugged
hardy
puissant
stout
mighty
sinous
serpentine
undulating
snaky
twisted
hooked
winding
supple
intimidating
slender
ominous
monstrous
grim
shimmering
fearsome

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    gilt-edged, maybe?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited December 2014
    Here are my suggestions:

shabby
    traditional
    ornamental
    ceremonial
    savage
    cruel
    brutal
    training (I wanna make training shortswords!)
    fencing (like a fencing rapier)

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• EldEld
    edited December 2014
    wicked
    notched
    grooved
    sinister
    hefty
    needle-thin

• Tharvis said:
    gilt-edged, maybe?
    He's already got gilded, and the edge is about the one part of a cutting weapon you'd definitely not want to cover in gold, I would think.
  • And @Sarapis, you've misspelled "sinuous" in your list.
  • My apologies if any of these are repeats:
    • unembellished
    • barbarous
    • baleful
    • dark
    • menacing
    • begrimed
    • sooty
    • soot-covered
    • malformed
    • scarred
  • Input?

Fancy descriptors for blackjacks, please. :)
  • I know "vorpal" probably isn't an option given that there's already a vorpal (longsword?) but it would make an awesome descriptor.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • EldEld
    edited December 2014
    Addama said:
    I know "vorpal" probably isn't an option given that there's already a vorpal (longsword?) but it would make an awesome descriptor.
    I think most people would count "vorpal" as implying a magic property, given common usage in D&D, etc.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorpal_sword

The term has been occasionally used in fantasy media, often referring to a sword with a wavy or unusually curved blade.

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorpal_sword

The term has been occasionally used in fantasy media, often referring to a sword with a wavy or unusually curved blade.

And if you read the rest of that section, there are several examples of it being used to describe particular enchantments, of swords and other things. I didn't say it's always used that way, just that it's used that way often enough that that will probably be a common interpretation, and since it's a nonsense word with no "correct" definition to appeal to, it's probably not a good choice for the desired goal.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited December 2014
    For those interested, here's the alphabetized list that Sarapis provided, for easy comparison on whether or not your suggestion is already list:

[spoiler]
    Ashtani
    barbaric
    barbed
    beefy
    big
    blackened
    brutal
    bulky
    colossal
    costly
    curved
    Cyrenian
    deadly
    dented
    devastating
    diamond-edged
    dull
    elegant
    Eleusian
    enormous
    exquisite
    extravagant
    fancy
    fearsome
    flashy
    flawless
    gaudy
    gigantic
    gilded
    gleaming
    golden
    graceful
    grand
    grandiose
    grim
    hardy
    Hashani
    honed
    hooked
    huge
    immense
    impressive
    indomitable
    intimidating
    jagged
    keen
    knife-edged
    large
    lightweight
    lustrous
    massive
    Mhaldorian
    mighty
    monstrous
    nimble
    ominous
    ordinary
    ornate
    ostentatious
    overpowering
    pitted
    plain
    pointed
    polished
    ponderous
    powerful
    primitive
    puissant
    ragged
    razor-sharp
    rugged
    rustic
    serpentine
    serrated
    sharp
    shimmering
    shining
    simple
    sinous
    sizable
    sleek
    slender
    small
    snaky
    solid
    spiked
    stout
    straight
    stunning
    sturdy
    supple
    tapering
    Targossian
    twisted
    ugly
    unadorned
    undulating
    well-made
    winding
    worn
    [/spoiler]

My suggestions:

archaic
    balanced
    banded
    beveled
    blood-stained
    blunted
    durable
    heavy
    molted
    resilient
    rippled
    saw-edged
    sharpened
    tempered
    thick
    thin
    weighted

Edit: Also, really excited about this.

• edited December 2014
    I'd like a little freer of a hand with descriptions and shortnames. I always pictured the way this working would be most blacksmiths turning out the old, generic names,  with an option to pay for a custom sets of descriptions.  Once you'd made all of your choices, you'd be officially locked into your 'style', which would be neat because people with a keen eye would be able to tell walking into a room who made the weapon someone was holding.

Barring that, hopefully it will be possible to abstain from adding them.

Edit: @Sarapis‌, I don't mean it to sound like I'm completely trashing your idea, since it's obviously something you've worked on. I'm just personally not a fan of limited word use and phrasing when it comes to customizing descriptions. 

I don't think they're going to let people set custom descriptions for weapons/armour without going through the customisation process. At the very least, an extensive set of generic variables which an possibly be combined to offer countless combinations would make for a unique and interesting result.

• Offer unique, custom descriptors for a credit fee. Once someone buys a word, no one else can use it.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    daunting
    formidable
    troubling
    gruesome
    nightmarish
    appalling
    grisly
    threatening
    unnerving
    horrifying
    intimidating
    brilliant
    glowing

• Cooper said:
    Offer unique, custom descriptors for a credit fee. Once someone buys a word, no one else can use it.
    I more meant like, say, the difference between 'a slender, knife-edged dirk' (admittedly making assumptions about how descriptors will work), and 'a whisper-thin dirk with a razored edge'. One just looks prettier,  but I'm (again) assuming that it will be a very rigid format with no wiggle room to do what I actually want it to look like. 

edited December 2014
    Trey said:
    Cooper said:
    Offer unique, custom descriptors for a credit fee. Once someone buys a word, no one else can use it.
    I more meant like, say, the difference between 'a slender, knife-edged dirk' (admittedly making assumptions about how descriptors will work), and 'a whisper-thin dirk with a razored edge'. One just looks prettier,  but I'm (again) assuming that it will be a very rigid format with no wiggle room to do what I actually want it to look like. 
    As I understand it, this revamp is about adding a bit more flavourful variety to the final product rather than actual customisation, for which there is already a process in place for.

Also adding to my list:

rounded
    single-edged
    double-edged

• Kresslack said:
    Trey said:
    Cooper said:
    As I understand it, this revamp is about adding a bit more flavourful variety to the final product rather than actual customisation, for which there is already a process in place for.

Also adding to my list:

rounded
    single-edged
    double-edged
    Correct. You're free to pay for a customisation as always. This system, however, ensures that weapon names will be concise and that no admin approval is needed. Concise is important because weapons are typically wielded and what you're wielding shows up in room descriptions.
  • Cooper said:
    Definitely not. Already something we rejected. We've considered things like short-term auctions where descriptors come up regularly for automatic auction, and the winner can only produce X quantity of items with that descriptor, then it's out of commission until it comes up for auction again, etc. 

But, we'll see. Got some other plans down the road to die in with another system.
  • Sarapis said:
    Kresslack said:
    Trey said:
    Cooper said:

Also adding to my list:

rounded
    single-edged
    double-edged
    Correct. You're free to pay for a customisation as always. This system, however, ensures that weapon names will be concise and that no admin approval is needed. Concise is important because weapons are typically wielded and what you're wielding shows up in room descriptions.
    I understand the need for concise if you're going that route. I was just pointing out what about it I thought was a shortcoming based on personal preferences. Is there a possibility of anything like I described becoming available, I.e. paying a fee in credits for fixed descriptions of items forged? It may not have the alterability of the more concise system,  but the tradeoff of a more personalized end product seems worth it, to the point where I think more than just myself would pay something for it. Seems like easy revenue too.

• Not in the current plans, no.
  • Sorry if there is any repetition -

bloody
    mammoth
    mountainous
    agile
    behomoth
    brawny
    rugged
    bronzed
    bowed
    tarnished
    pitted
    mud-caked
    pretentious
    gilded
    refulgent
    lustrous
    polished
    charred
    seared
    scorched

• I, for one, am glad I read the thread BEFORE I got my torch and pitchfork...
  • NimNim
    edited December 2014
    Way to nerf Blademasters T_T

More seriously:
    engraved (with actual words too, maybe?!)
    floral
    iron
    jewelled
    pale
    silver
    steel
    watered

Color adjectives might be cool too. The following can apparently be made just from heat:
    blue
    purple
    yellow

And the following would likely be cool additions also:
    brown
    crimson

Also, having runic as a descriptor would be cool, even if it's automatically added for runeblades and not something just anyone can make. Aesthetic, nonmagical runes would be cool though.
  • terrible
    ugly
    shoddy
    botched
    misshapen
    laughable
    uneven
    poor
    blunted
    opulent
    polished
    bejewelled
    lack-lustre
    broken
    stone
    ordinary

(And that's just what I think of the idea! XD)

• saw-toothed
    matt
    gem-studded
    decorated
    etched
    chipped
    slim
    cheap-looking
    weighty
    wave-patterned

Nim said:

Color adjectives might be cool too. The following can apparently be made just from heat:
    blue
    purple
    yellow

And the following would likely be cool additions also:
    brown
    crimson

This could probably be achieved by using hues as descriptors (e.g. crimson-hued, violet-hued, gold-hued, etc).

• Ok, we're good, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.