What have you designed today?

Comments

• I'd assume Achaea, just like real life, has some form of social convention about where a wedding ring is worn, so I'd say people should be able to tell that a ring is a wedding ring just by looking at (where) it('s being worn). No idea how to help with the other parts, unfortunately!

• I've seen engagement rings before though. Why can we have engagement rings (also something you can't tell just by looking) if we can't have wedding rings?

• Wedding and engagement rings are permitted, via customs currently, and at least via crafting in the past, probably still. I guess it's as Antonius says a social convention thing.

Jadys isn't talking about a wedding ring, she just used it as an example.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Unfortunately without knowing the actual word in question, I can only offer conjecture. A lot of rules have gotten much stricter, unfortunately.

That said, the best I can offer is to imbue particular symbolism into the ring. Gems, the number of them, any arrangement they might make, a simple but thoughtful inscription. Thoughtfuness and connecting to whatever/whomever it's for is usually the best method.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • SharaShara Midlands
    edited June 2016
    Hmm. I'm not sure about the specifics. But I -just- got a commissioned "Wedding ring" approved a little more than a day ago via crafting union. a sparkling sapphire wedding ring  to be precise. So wedding ring is allowed, from what I know of.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Wedding rings and wedding bands abound, that's no problem.

The disapproved design probably more resembled something like "a ring of spiritual unification," going off of the feedback received.
  • edited June 2016
    Krypton said:

The disapproved design probably more resembled something like "a ring of spiritual unification," going off of the feedback received.
    It was nothing like that at all. It's not even a wedding ring, just something similar. A nearly exact example of the sentence rejected was the example I gave of "A star and a cross were added to represent two joined spirits." I was told it's advertising, not a description. And that I can't force people to know anything about the ring. (?)

edit: "star", "cross" and "spirits" are just words I used to not give anything away (ruin a surprise gift) while asking for help.
    Then the issue is the forced interpretation in saying "[So-and-so] represents [yadda]."

A pure description would instead just say "a star and cross intertwined," or "a star inset with a cross," for example.
  • I'd more likely say that it's because any ring can be a wedding/engagement ring. Any "wedding/engagement" ring can be just a pretty/nice ring that someone wants to wear. Some vagueness is necessary in that regard.
    meh

• Jadys said:
    Krypton said:

It was nothing like that at all. It's not even a wedding ring, just something similar. A nearly exact example of the sentence rejected was the example I gave of "A star and a cross were added to represent two joined spirits." I was told it's advertising, not a description. And that I can't force people to know anything about the ring. (?)

edit: "star", "cross" and "spirits" are just words I used to not give anything away (ruin a surprise gift) while asking for help.
    This is why whoever reviews customisations hates me, because I'd shoot back with "we can't force someone to know something about an item... you mean like named weapons that aren't engraved with their name? Like every cunt with a named weapon has, including blademasters?". It's never personal, but some of the battles I've had to fight to use certain words are ridiculous. 

• I give up. Rewrote the entire thing. Spent a day reading and re-reading to pick out anything that might influence the opinion of the reader. I stated that the "wedding ring" (as described in the appearance) will (was designed to) "last forever as a "wedding" ring (in the examined). The point I am trying to make is...even after the person who owned the ring is gone, the ring will live on to commemorate the vows he took. Like my grandmother's wedding ring. When I look at it, I remember her and my grandfather and their lives together. Rejection was because I cannot guarantee or control this. 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Jadys said:
    I give up. Rewrote the entire thing. Spent a day reading and re-reading to pick out anything that might influence the opinion of the reader. I stated that the "wedding ring" (as described in the appearance) will (was designed to) "last forever as a "wedding" ring (in the examined). The point I am trying to make is...even after the person who owned the ring is gone, the ring will live on to commemorate the vows he took. Like my grandmother's wedding ring. When I look at it, I remember her and my grandfather and their lives together. Rejection was because I cannot guarantee or control this. 
    Unless it's a custom design, I can't see it getting approved because otherwise it's not potentially unique. And there's the factor that if the ring gets lost and nobody knows who it belongs to, people are not going to be familiar with the story or sentiment behind the design. You also need to factor in that if the ring isn't made non-decay, it will decay and won't last forever.

I'm sure that you'll figure it out. Sometimes you just need better ways to express sentiment while keeping the practicality of how things in Achaea work. My eternity ring was approved for example, but that was a customisation design that was unique to me and perhaps that made the difference as to whether or not the same design would get approved through the UUC.

If nothing else, embrace the opportunity to test your design skills, it's a good way to improve when challenged this way, though I'm sorry you're getting frustrated as a result.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited June 2016
    Kyrra said:
    Jadys said:
    I give up. Rewrote the entire thing. Spent a day reading and re-reading to pick out anything that might influence the opinion of the reader. I stated that the "wedding ring" (as described in the appearance) will (was designed to) "last forever as a "wedding" ring (in the examined). The point I am trying to make is...even after the person who owned the ring is gone, the ring will live on to commemorate the vows he took. Like my grandmother's wedding ring. When I look at it, I remember her and my grandfather and their lives together. Rejection was because I cannot guarantee or control this. 
    Unless it's a custom design, I can't see it getting approved because otherwise it's not potentially unique. And there's the factor that if the ring gets lost and nobody knows who it belongs to, people are not going to be familiar with the story or sentiment behind the design. You also need to factor in that if the ring isn't made non-decay, it will decay and won't last forever.

I'm sure that you'll figure it out. Sometimes you just need better ways to express sentiment while keeping the practicality of how things in Achaea work. My eternity ring was approved for example, but that was a customisation design that was unique to me and perhaps that made the difference as to whether or not the same design would get approved through the UUC.

If nothing else, embrace the opportunity to test your design skills, it's a good way to improve when challenged this way, though I'm sorry you're getting frustrated as a result.
    It's custom for personal use. not to be sold. 

edit - This is the first time I had anything rejected like this. And I didn't change anything in the way I design or word things. 
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Krypton's probably right. Show, don't tell.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Seconding the show, don't tell. I don't think anyone on the forums is going to steal the idea but we are kinda fumbling at straws helping you without knowing the exact problem.

"The problem is something kinda like a tiger."
    "You mean, lion? Ocelet? Cheetah? Lyger? Some sort of other big cat?"
    "No. It's actually a zebra. You see, they both have stripes...."
  • edited June 2016
    Thanks for the advice and personal offers of help everyone. It was approved finally. It took four rewrites, but it conveys what I was originally trying to accomplish. It lacks the impact I always enjoyed writing into my designs, but the two people it mattered most to are happy. So I am too.

Edit: I couldn't post the details because it was a gift design, and I was trying to get help without giving anything away.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Achaea has vermouth, right?
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Achaea has vermouth, right?
    No hits for the word "vermouth" anywhere in my logs, so there's no precedent that I'm aware of, but I don't see why not. It's not named after a place and shouldn't be at all anachronistic, I can't think of any reasons it couldn't exist or couldn't be named vermouth.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    I can't find vermouth anywhere. What is vermouth anyway? Isn't it herbal wine?

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • We have bourbon, riot if they tell you you can't have vermouth.

Vermouth is just a type of wine so should probably be described as such, yeah. "Wormwood wine" maybe?
    Trey said:
    We have bourbon, riot if they tell you you can't have vermouth.
    Is there? Thought it was just whiskey.
  • Brown bottles in the new (ish) lounge in Mhaldor. Ask Esad wares.

• Also Harris in the Eventide Alehouse in Hassan has bourbon.
  • Trey said:
    This is why whoever reviews customisations hates me, because I'd shoot back with "we can't force someone to know something about an item... you mean like named weapons that aren't engraved with their name? Like every cunt with a named weapon has, including blademasters?". It's never personal, but some of the battles I've had to fight to use certain words are ridiculous. 
    This sort of raises a question for me: how many currently-active people have named weapons, discounting Blademasters and Gods? Off the top of my head, I can think of Shirszae (Caoineadh, bastard buster sword), Atalkez (Echo, dirk), me (Mitnea Takurua, staff), Aodfionn (Conquering Dawn, broadsword)... who else? More to the point, how many people have named weapons that are at least somewhat easily remembered? I mean, one of the reasons I can think of those ones is because something about them stands out (Caoineadh because it's ludicrously huge, Echo because I remember Waking Echo, Conquering Dawn because of something I read once about it having one of Aurora's hairs or whatever it was).

Rangor had a couple back in the day, don't know if he still does. Mephaos named his scimitars, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what he called them. Kondar had Witherbrand (longsword), but I don't know if he's still got it since he changed class.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Rip Echo

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    In a world where we can know a person's affiliations, accomplishments and various other information telepathically without communicating with them, it can be explained that when certain objects, or weapons, have had a significant enough impact on the world they have their own sort of telepathic field (field? that doesn't seem right. Not field. Lets go with imprint) when they've made a significant imprint, anyone in tune with telepathic channels (CT, Tells, honours, help scrolls, etc) can tap into that and would immediately know the weapon's name.

Though, given the argument most people make, you could say the same about any denizen, pet, or even player that you've never met before.
    Huh. Neat.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited June 2016
    People just get nipticky about named weapons because they generally dislike the concept, I think, and not because it doesn't actually make sense in the setting. If you can know at a glance that someone won a tournament in fourth place two hundred years ago (not to mention a summary of the rest of their freaking life), I don't see it as much of a stretch that you can know the weapon they use daily.

Also, at least Caoineadh is not a big mass of ugly grey steel, hmph!  :3

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    RIP Raindrops and Snowflakes, the best logosian broadswords I ever owned :(
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Ahmet said:
    In a world where we can know a person's affiliations, accomplishments and various other information telepathically without communicating with them, it can be explained that when certain objects, or weapons, have had a significant enough impact on the world they have their own sort of telepathic field (field? that doesn't seem right. Not field. Lets go with imprint) when they've made a significant imprint, anyone in tune with telepathic channels (CT, Tells, honours, help scrolls, etc) can tap into that and would immediately know the weapon's name.

Though, given the argument most people make, you could say the same about any denizen, pet, or even player that you've never met before.
    No offense to anybody who has named weapons, but how many of those weapons have actually made a significant impact on the world? From my point of view that number is precisely zero. If we're going to explain it away, it's just one of the number of things we inherently know about another adventurer, it has nothing to do with an impact on the world or a "telepathic imprint" resulting from said impact.

Since you mentioned pets, I personally also hate pets that have the name in the short description.
  • Short description or room description?

It use to be (not sure if still is) the pet name was the core item and so had to be in the short description.

Example:
    varniis62815        Varniis, a Notic water dragon

I guess it's the same though, looking at a basic pet and inherently knowing their name is "Snaffleburry".