What have you designed today?

Comments

• Shatterproof son.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Shatterproof son.
    The scabbard or the jewels?
  • Aesi said:
    Atalkez said:
    Shatterproof son.
    The scabbard or the jewels?
    I hear they're both impressive.  ;)
  • Made some designs for Ashtan's crafting contest:

a heavy research journal

type: journal
    appearance: a heavy research journal
    dropped: A heavy leather-bound journal lies here.
    examined: Thick and heavy, this journal is designed for the unique needs of a scholar or scientist. Creamy vellum has been bound in an orderly fashion, the alternating pages of narrowly-ruled lines and graphing paper ideal for sketching diagrams and taking notes alongside the drawings. A compartmentalized pocket inside the front cover provides storage for quills, charcoals and small test tubes, with a stack of pre-cut labels allowing for easy specimen gathering and tagging, while a thick sileris sealant has been worked across the outside binding, waterproofing the book for field expeditions and against mishaps in the laboratory.

a leather-bound ledger
    type: book
    appearance: a leather-bound ledger
    dropped: A long ledger lies here, bound in leather.
    examined: Bound on the horizontal, this ledger is designed for meticulous bookkeeping, with narrow lines pre-inked on each page for detailed notes and sums. A long flap folds open for insertion behind the page currently in use to ensure no ink bleeds through when writing, while a dozen ribbons in varied colors have been sewn to the binding, allowing for precise bookmarking. Heavy leather binds the entire ledger together, with a long thong wrapping around the cover to ensure security of the contents.

a scroll of shifting shadows
    type: scroll
    appearance: a scroll of shifting shadows
    dropped: A dark scroll is here, covered in ornate inkings.
    examined: Upon first glance, this scroll appears to be fashioned out of the shadows themselves, with darkness writhing and shifting across the parchment in undulating waves. The effect is a clever and skilled one, starting with a meticulous water-marbling treatment to the paper itself - lightly floated atop a basin of suspended paint, the parchment has taken on a complex base hue, shades of ebony stacked atop one another in swirling, palimpsestic patterns. Heavy black ink, both matte and lustruous, twines around the outer edges, creating an intricate border of subtle depth, contrasting richly with the slender silver rods winding the paper. As a final touch to the illusion, a sheer swathe of ebony silk serves to secure the piece closed, creating the impression of a hovering cloud of darkness over the shadowy scroll.

a formal Ashtani scroll
    type: scroll
    appearance: a formal Ashtani scroll
    dropped: An elegant vellum scroll lies here, bound with a silken ribbon.
    examined: This scroll is elegant in its simplicity, using the finest creamy vellum to create a smooth surface. Delicately stamped across the parchment, faint golden ink traces out a catherine wheel, the shading subtle and refined, blending into the background with a soft shimmer. Brighter and bolder, gilt has been pressed along the edges of the scroll to create a formal border, the lines blending into the piece's rollers, crafted from gold to mimic a delicate pair of spears. In sharp contrast to these bright shades, rich purple and deep black patterns have been embroidered in a detailed brocade across a long silken ribbon, creating a stark balance of hues when the scroll is secured shut.

a lavishly chaotic letter
    type: letter
    appearance: a lavishly chaotic letter
    dropped: A letter lies here, patterned in a riotous clash of colours.
    examined: If a visual assault was the goal of this letter's creator, he certainly appears to have succeeded - patterned seemingly aimlessly, the paper is covered in a range of hues, none of which have any right to be paired with each other. The result is nauseating and cacaphanous, with bright colors clashing in warring sweeps of shade: blood-red bleeds into a sickly puce, with vermillion streaks slashed across this base, while bright spots of toxic purple pepper the entire page. The entire effect is disorienting and jarring - yet, somehow, curiously harmonious, with some sort of odd balance and appeal teased from the chaos.

an unremarkable letter
    type: letter
    appearance: an unremarkable letter
    dropped: A plain letter lies here, gathering dust.
    examined: Simple and basic, this letter is a crude creation of cheap folded parchment. The dirty, flimsy paper appears - at first glance - to be little more than trash, or perhaps someone's lost grocery list, however closer inspection reveals a delicate complexity to the crumpled parchment, with a tiny hidden compartment created through carefully-camouflaged folding. The end result is a rather ingenious bit of paper, ideal for passing on secret missives or smuggling vital trinkets past prying eyes.
  • edited May 2016
    After growling and huffing about the word Violaceous (apparently it's purely American), I give you:

a vengeful lash of sinister amethyst fire

A unique twist upon the quintessential lash, this armament is crafted primarily of a 
    hollow piece of filament thin, amethyst-coloured wire. Barely thicker than a strand of 
    tinsel, the end of the metal cable is sheathed within a supple hilt, with the handle 
    itself wrapped in twists of rainbow-coloured hide. A delicate rose-gold grip prevents the 
    whip from slipping from the wearer's grasp, and diffuses the heat which pulses along the 
    lash's undulating length. Engraved along the hollow, interior surface of the wire are a 
    variety of archaic runes, the minute etchings almost invisible to the naked eye, and 
    causing a cascading, fiery reaction which wreathes the metal. A clear, flame-resistant 
    coating shellacs the entirety of the lash from hilt to the tapered tip, proofing it 
    against damage caused by the magical glyphs writ upon it. Crackling with combustible 
    energy, the whole of the lash flares with life, blistering the air around it in vengeful, 
    fiery tongues, not unlike dragon-fire. The heart of the lash's flame burns white hot, and 
    darkens into cimmerian, vaporous wisps of violet the further from the metallic core it 
    radiates. When languishing at the side, the flame appears solid, a deceptively spare, 
    single-tailed lash. Only when the lash is in motion, cracking and snapping at the behest 
    of a skilled serpent, does the weapon double in size, sending up a firestorm of purple 
    sparks bursting into the air like an angry efreeti.

Edit: This but in purple!

• There's three different definitions: Medical, botanical, color.
  • And Mudsexorical.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    A coin-sized dollop of purple...?

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    A stabby dirk

A tiny dirk for stabbing

It is a dirk. One stabs things with it.

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Yes, but where are the butterflies, @Lala

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • I mean she never said what her prehensile nipples were made out of. Were we all just assuming they were flesh? Anyway nice infamous-mudsexor-nipplewhip.

• These comments about the word confuse me. There's a story here I don't know.
  • Viola was an infamous mudsex char back in the day. Notable logs included horses of both genders, prehensile coin-sized nipples, and fecal matter.

But no, no, violaceous. Keep it.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Started working on a 25-painting set, even though nobody's been able to get back to me with information for one of them. Hopefully I'll be able to find it by the time I'm done (in ten years or so :P)
    Huh. Neat.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Trey said:
    Viola was an infamous mudsex char back in the day. Notable logs included horses of both genders, prehensile coin-sized nipples, and fecal matter.

But no, no, violaceous. Keep it.
    I don't remember the prehensile part about her nipples, just the obscene tattoos and dog-tail buttplug. 

•    Left hand:  bastard203920       a breathtaking silver bastard sword

The silver that coats this bastard sword is nearly flawless, showing no blemishes or distortions,
    and its polished surface gleams like a mirror. Emerging from a narrow pale gold cross-guard, the
    blade has been precisely balanced to sit perfectly in the hand, making it a far more efficient
    weapon than its size might suggest. About a hand's width across, it bears a double-fuller up to
    about two thirds of its length, reducing its weight without sacrificing strength or flexibility. The
    sword's tip tapers to a more rounded point than is traditional, to avoid making any length of its
    edge brittle; honed carefully and caringly, there are no chips, no imperfections, all along the half-
    inch edge, which shines with a lethal gleam under any illumination, no matter how dim. Beneath the
    mirrored silver surface, engraved swans take flight from the cross-guard towards the point, their
    scalpel-thin lines almost impossible to make out at a casual glance. The sword's foot-long grip has
    been wrapped in honeyed black leather and is sealed by a rounded pommel set with a deep black gem,
    which has been cut as to reflect light from all angles at which one might admire it.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited May 2016
    Something I designed party because I was bored, partly because I was inspired.

an assassin's richly embroidered sleeveless coat

Reminiscent of blood, a richly embroidered woollen coat lies here.

Albeit extravagantly adorned thorough its full length, this long, sleeveless coat is designed with a markedly  informal style. Predominantly woven from rich wool of a sanguine hue and lined in silk, it falls loosely and  unbuttoned upon the wearer's frame, each side boasting intricate scroll-work depicting the ruined lands of  Nishnatoba in shades of black and silver. Similarly, the hemlines are decorated with thick bands of fashionable silver fabric, further providing a pleasant counterpoint, each adorned with black portrayals of a myriad interlocked snakes. But none of those compare to the monster embroidered in painstaking detail on the upper back of the garment, the well-known silver serpent of the Quisalis infinitely coiled upon a bloodied dagger, the beast's massive fangs bared to the onlooker.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• [spoiler]
    Ryzeth said:
    First customisation!

Appearance: a mystical shield of black ice
    Dropped: Chilling the ground beneath it, an ancient shield lies discarded here.
    Deathly cold to the touch, this immense barrier seems perpetually surrounded by an almost palpable aura of eerie black mist. Richly polished obsidian comprises the majority of this mystical shield, expertly etched with a multitude of veins and jagged ridges so as to give it the appearance of glacial ice. In stark contrast to the mist and darkened surface, a vast array of shimmering diamonds have been perfectly embedded across the center, creating an intricate pattern depicting a predatory tundra wolf, hiding amidst the darkness with its large topaz eyes gleaming wickedly. Decorating the upper edge of the ovoid shield, a line of serrated chain links have been fastened to the rim, each one ending in masterfully-crafted skulls of polished blood ruby, clinking and swaying with the wielder's movements. On the reverse side is a solid bar of dusky cobalt mithril that runs through the center, straps of charred leather secured to both ends as a means to attach to one's forearm in combat.

:3

[/spoiler]

Matching pair has been completed!

Appearance: Syrael, a blade of tundral wrath
    Dropped: Enveloped in hoarfrost, an icy rapier has been left pierced in the ground.
    Examined: Utterly frozen to the core, the only telltale sign this weapon is a rapier, would be its sleekness and length. Forged in the chilly north, this rapier is comprised almost entirely of the same glacial ice crystals found in the tundra caves, perpetually gleaming even in the dark. Approximately three and a half feet in length, the spine of the blade bears only the faintest of curves to it whilst the tip extends into a deathly sharp, stabbing point. Differing from standard styling, the front edge has been left unrefined, paying homage to its origins and keeping the naturally jagged edges that the tundral crystal would typically have, perfect for rending flesh. The glacial ice curves outward at base, creating a wicked claw-like guard that extends down over the hands, affording protection to the wielder. Barely keeping the hand safe from the intense cold beneath, blackened leather has been braided tightly around the tang of the blade, giving a firm grip in combat. Shaped from another chunk of ice crystal and acting as a counterbalance, an intricately detailed carving of a tundra wolf has been affixed to the end to create the pommel, two sparkling blood rubies serving as the predator's eyes.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited May 2016
    What happened to the rule where one had to have the type of item in the appearance? eg a rapier had to be a rapier?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited May 2016
    Klendathu said:
    What happened to the rule where one had to have the type of item in the appearance? eg a rapier had to be a rapier?
    This ^. Also, named weapons still bug me

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • "You named your sword?"
    "Plenty of people name their swords."
    "Plenty of ****s."
  • You've been allowed blade instead of the type of sword for at least the last three or four years (about when I started playing again, I think), probably quite a lot longer.

Also don't normally do this, but that first sentence is bugging the hell out of me.

1. That second comma shouldn't be there and forces the entire thing to be read oddly. That's just not a natural place to have a pause.

2. The use of "would be" implies that those would be telltale signs (more on that later!) of it being a rapier, if your weapon had them; you're basically saying that your rapier is neither sleek or long (I assume that's what you meant, but length is ambiguous).

3. Sleekness just sounds... awful. Probably just personal taste but I wouldn't use it myself.

4. I'd say sleekness and length are two unique properties, so they'd be telltale signs, not a singular telltale sign.

Consider either:
    "Utterly frozen to the core, the only telltale sign this weapon is a rapier is its long, sleek blade."
    or
    "Utterly frozen to the core, the only telltale signs this weapon is a rapier are its sleekness and length."

• As for what I've designed "today" (was actually Sunday)... Targossas is, as part of its Festival of the Dawn, holding a joust. I had a spare suit of fullplate that I put resetting on a couple of years ago, and thought "What kind of knight am I if I don't even have a suit of armour specifically for jousting?" so I threw this together:

APPEARANCE: a heavy suit of white enamelled jousting armour
    DROPPED: A suit of heavy jousting armour has been stacked neatly nearby.
    EXAMINED: Designed to be worn solely during the joust, this armour has been forged from thick plates of white enamelled steel and as a result is considerably heavier than a normal suit of full plate. While more than sufficient to protect the wearer from the extreme force of a lance strike, the heavy plates have nonetheless been shaped to cause an opponent's lance to glance off, rather than strike cleanly, as often as possible. The centre of the breastplate has been decorated with the image of a golden warhorse rearing back on its hind legs. A small wooden shield strapped to the rider's offhand arm provides both an appealing target for the opponent's lance and an additional means by which to deflect strikes. Its smooth surface has been painted black and then decorated simply with a repeating pattern of crossed golden swords.

I was on a deadline (wasn't sure it would get approved in time for the original date of the joust) so it's not necessarily my best work. Unfortunately apparently I'm not allowed to customise it, so not sure what to do. Making revisions to improve it seems a bit pointless if I won't be able to make it a reality.

@Nicola Any chance we can reconsider that position? I understand (and begrudgingly accept) not allowing non-decay and resetting, but if people want to pay good credits to change the appearance of armour, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to (especially as it would be an ongoing cost in most cases). The fact that this particular suit happens to already be non-decay and resetting shouldn't be a factor.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Antonius, I think it's something to do with the deadline a while ago from when they changed forging and stopped allowing the customisation of fullplate. I know that Trey literally just missed out and he'd do almost anything to get his armour done.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited May 2016
    Odd. I was told that I could customize a regular suit, which given the longevity I scoffed at, but you should be able to do a resetting one no problem. Would email customisations if the system isn't accepting it. Also ditto Antonius' comments on the rapier. Definitely not the worst effort though.

EDIT: please for the love of all that is good and holy @Nicola let us nondecay fullplate, even if we have to pay for it. Would do unspeakable things to put my custom suit into play.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Yeah, I asked about re-customizing my already-customized suit a few weeks ago and was told I could. That sounds like a fluke ruling, unless it's a sudden, silent reversal.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Will try submitting it again after adding a note asking for clarification on why I can't customise it and when the policy changed. I'm going to miss the Targossian joust anyway since I'm busy tonight, but will be nice to have it available for the future.
  • @Avonela
    @Nicola

Thank you both so very much for your individual contributions to my falcon. I love it. 

On alert, an obsidian hued falcon is perched here.

an obsidian hued falcon of volcanic origin

This falcon has been hatched with the most exquisite colouring due its its 
    volcanic origins. Seamless feathers of a deep black hue cover this bird, each 
    feather gleaming. Its body is full and robust, strength and stealth moulded into 
    one sentient being. The sleek uniformity of size is carried throughout the 
    falcon. Curving wickedly, gold plated talons caution all to the deadly manner in 
    which damage can be done to any that dare take on this bird of prey. A pair of 
    iridescent-purple eyes stare unblinkingly at its surroundings with silent 
    movements of its head, scanning for danger as a single, sharp cry rings out from 
    its beak in warning to those who pass too closely. 

The shadows stir as an obsidian hued falcon flies to the ether.

A single cry rings out as an obsidian hued falcon enters from the ether.

• Little help please. I am designing a ring for a specific purpose. For the sake of not giving away a surprise, lets just say it's a wedding ring. The appearance specifically says it's a wedding ring. But it has been returned twice to me now because I am not allowed to refer to it as a wedding ring (or refer to what the components in the design are meant to represent) in the description because "no one can know this by looking at it, I can't force them to know it, nor force them to accept my symbolism." Here is a basic example of the sentence - "A star and a cross were added to represent two joined spirits."

So basically the design has been reduced to. "Its a ring. It is made of platinum. It has a stone on it. It has a star and a cross on it. "

Seriously, why bother if we can't be creative? I hate the ring now. Anyone have any suggestions? I remember now why I quit designing and regretted wasting 200 credits on a permit.