New artefacts!

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4229
Date: 10/29/2014 at 02:20
To : Everyone
Subj: A new artefact shipment has arrived!

We're pleased to announce the release of a string of new artefacts! You'll find the new mystical items in the Miscellaneous Artefact Shop on the Isle of Delos. Without further ado, I present:

Bands of Mind Distension
- These bands will increase the maximum number of MINDPRINTs a monk can remember.
Ursine Band of Mind Distension (+3 additional mindprints) - 250cr
Scorpic Band of Mind Distension (+6 additional mindprints) - 500cr
Draconic Band of Mind Distension (+9 additional mindprints) - 750cr

Mouse baits
- Can be used by Jesters to fish for mice, and will increase the maximum number of trained suicide mice the Jester can have.
A small wheel of Nimickian farmstead cheese (+1 additional suicide mouse) - 250cr
A wedge of Shamtotan cheddar (+2 additional suicide mice) - 500cr
A compact chunk of creamy Combatia cheese (+3 additional suicide mice) - 750cr

A golden cube - 500cr
- Removes the cost of a Jester's PROPS (Balloon, Blackjack, Mickey, and Itchpowder).
(*) Props can now only be held in limited quantities, a Jester can have 2 blackjacks, and 50 of each of the other props at any one time.

Gloves of Serendipity - 500cr
- These enchanted gloves may occasionally magically duplicate a Jester's bomb at construction time.

A wax stick encased in mithril - 500cr
- Allows runes to be sketched in watery environments.

Rakia's flame - 500cr
- Increases the rate at which a Metamorph can SUMMON FLAME.

An urn of Annwynian beeswax - 400cr
- This magical material fortifies summoned STONEWALLs, increasing the duration before they crumble.

A golden pendulum - 400cr
- Capable of keeping perfect time, this artefact will reduce the time between a Bard's harmonics being called, and their arrival.

Talisman of Greater Cultivation - 500cr
- A rare artefact from the Cauda Pavonis, increasing the health and movement speed of an Alchemist's homunculus.

Bracers of the Phoenix - 500cr
- Imbued with a powerful enchantment, these bracers will slow the rate at which a Blademaster's shin energy decays.

Restoration loops - 500cr
- These artefacts are so attuned to the actions of their owners, they will provide bonuses and restorative properties. As well as the individual powers listed below, they will return some willpower and endurance upon a successful instakill.
A wreath of lycopod vines (restores additional essence from VIVISECT)
A wreath of golden leaves (restores sunlight energy from HEARTSEED)
A kaleidoscopic crown (restores additional karma from UNRAVEL)
A Cincture of the Devoted (restores additional devotion from DAMNATION)

Penned by My hand on the 6th of Daedalan, in the year 668 AF.

Some of them kind of made me wtf, but always good to have new things!!

Where is the kai reduction artie?

Comments

• Interesting that there isn't an enemy/ally list expansion set on there too, imo. Possibly getting revamped without arties?
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Overwhelmed by all the Apostate artifacts! 
  • Yeah, I mean the only Jesters that have suicide mice generally aren't interested in PK.  The props would take a very very long time to pay for itself.  The runelore ones have some utility though I never seen a stonewall collapse from time in a serious fight.  All well, I had my credits allocated for something else anyways.
  • Because monks needed buffs and magi needed even more nerfs...
  • edited October 2014
    Hahahah those Jester arties tho.

So for 500 credits I can buy unlimited crap blackjacks, or for 100 credits more I can buy a L2 blackjack.  DECISIONS.
  • Things are changing, maybe some of this stuff will seem a lot better after the changes?

• edited October 2014
    Amarillys said:
    Things are changing, maybe some of this stuff will seem a lot better after the changes?
    Well - maybe Jesters are getting a Suicidemice buff or something, but a barnacle-encrusted props bucket is still pretty meh unless they plan to make Blackjacks cost 5k gold.
  • I said some :P I agree, that one does seem silly...

• Homunculus movement doesn't appear to be useful for anything either. For all its supposed utility, it's not useful for much at all besides the 10s attack (and torso).
  • I'm kind of confused by the selection of classes for the Restoration Loops.

Vivisect, Damnation, Heartseed, and Unravel regen arties. Okay....why not a similar one for Incinerate (Druids also use Sunlight energy, even if Sentinels don't), Absolve (Priests burn just as much Devotion as Paladins, from what I understand), or other insta-kills? I guess my question is...why THOSE kills, specifically? If it was Vivisect/Absolve/Damnation/Unravel, okay, that goes with the regen chains they added a few months ago. But why is Heartseed there, in that case?

Maybe I'm just not into combat enough to understand it. Can someone else explain this for me, please?

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    If I'm not mistaken, Absolve is a spirituality skill, not one of the priest-only Devo skills.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"

• Great.... Jester buffs....

also:

Naisar said:

A wax stick encased in mithril - 500cr
    - Allows runes to be sketched in watery environments.

Ah yes, the good old fashioned 'throw artefacts at design problems' approach.

Water countering runes is not a "design problem", it's a design feature.  Using terrain is one of the things that makes combat interesting, and if it's really that big if a deal for you, perhaps you should try using Barge, or simply don't fight on it.

If anything, it's a 500cr counter to a 500cr artefact (Sceptre), that very few people have, because in all other cases, water is relatively sparse.

• edited October 2014

Restoration loops - 500cr
    - These artefacts are so attuned to the actions of their owners, they will provide bonuses and restorative properties. As well as the individual powers listed below, they will return some willpower and endurance upon a successful instakill.
    A wreath of lycopod vines (restores additional essence from VIVISECT)
    A wreath of golden leaves (restores sunlight energy from HEARTSEED)
    A kaleidoscopic crown (restores additional karma from UNRAVEL)
    A Cincture of the Devoted (restores additional devotion from DAMNATION)

Kei
     said:
    I'm kind of confused by the selection of classes for the Restoration Loops.
    Maybe I'm just not into combat enough to understand it. Can someone else explain this for me, please?

I totally agree.  I actually recommended some time ago that all kills restore some Willpower (25% maybe), but if they're going to stick to insta-kills, they should absolutely include some others, particularly for the classes that use a ton of Willpower to achieve them, namely Priests, Apostates, Shaman, and so on.

Also:
    Cooper said:
    Where is the kai reduction artie?

Please tell me you aren't serious?

• Ernam said:

Kei
     said:

Vivisect, Damnation, Heartseed, and Unravel regen arties. Okay....why not a similar one for Incinerate (Druids also use Sunlight energy, even if Sentinels don't), Absolve (Priests burn just as much Devotion as Paladins, from what I understand), or other insta-kills? I guess my question is...why THOSE kills, specifically? If it was Vivisect/Absolve/Damnation/Unravel, okay, that goes with the regen chains they added a few months ago. But why is Heartseed there, in that case?

I totally agree.  I actually recommended some time ago that all kills restore some Willpower (25% maybe), 
    Isn't that... the point of having willpower as a resource? If you're on the losing end of things, you don't have to worry about WP, but if you're on the winning side, its a resource you have to manage. Its one of the few negative feedback processes we actually have.
  • Aodfionn said:
    If I'm not mistaken, Absolve is a spirituality skill, not one of the priest-only Devo skills.
    I thought Damnation was a Paladin only ability. That's the only reason I mentioned Absolve, really.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • @Ernam No, it's a problem. It's fine in frenetic world PvP scraps, but in 1v1 the entire dynamic is dumb.  One party has to give up a massive advantage for the fight to proceed.  There are some fights that require, without question, defensive ground runes.  It's that or death, the Runewarden cannot proceed without them.  Sometimes the opposite is true- ground runes are very powerful offensively, and sometimes the only way to survive against a Runie is to deny them that advantage.

The core of the issue is that 'don't fight on [land/water]' is the best course of action for both sides.  So now what?  There's no counterplay.  It's a deadlock, which is an archetypal design problem.  And artefacts are not the solution.
  • edited October 2014
    @Naisar

The point is, there are counters to fighting in water, and they're built into the class skills already.  Furthemore, runes are in no way necessary for combat, just as fighting on full rites is in no way necessary for priest/paladin combat.  In fact, I am almost never provided the opportunity to drop all rites, or even any, in combat.

Movement/location/terrain is all a part of combat.  I absolutely understand that it can be frustrating when used against you, but you can also find ways to use it to your advantage.

Lastly, I think that aside from lyre, water rooms are one of the only things that make fighting Runewardens even possible, because of the massive damage output of thurisaz/hugalaz/lunge/engage/sensitivity/DSL.  I can't even tank it spamming hands/shield/rebounding, without lyring or running away.

I think you'll find if you're willing to stop leaning on thurisaz, people will be be far more willing to fight outside of water.  Otherwise, you're forcing your opponents to use that counter, as it's honestly one of the only good ways to do it.

PS: There's also now a relatively cheap artie that lets you ignore this balancing feature, so honestly, you should be pumped.  It's a massive hit to many classes who have no other way to counter Runie damage stacks, and is probably going to force a lot more lyring, which is a much bigger problem for runie than water.

• Anyone have numbers for shin decay  with the bracers yet?

• edited October 2014

Why do people keep saying these should be SoW items?  SoW items cost credits just as much as everything else (albeit, usually less).  The only difference is that MCs are insanely hard to get, whereas credits can be obtained at any time, and can easily be bashed for in game.

I do think that they'd make good SoW items, and should probably be a little cheaper (300cr seems more reasonable), but personally I don't see any difference betwee SoW and normal artefacts.  I see 9Mcs, I think 450cr + a ton of hassle finding 9 MCs.

• @Ernam‌

1) There is no solution to an opponent refusing to fight on land, just as there is no solution for a Runewarden refusing to fight on water.
    Furthemore, runes are in no way necessary for combat, just as fighting on full rites is in no way necessary for priest/paladin combat..
    2) I said that in some fights, ground runes are necessary for survival.  You seem to be responding to the general case.  I think that yes, in many cases, ground runes aren't needed.  But in some specific scenarios they are.  Do you believe that there isn't a single fight in the entirety of possibility space where ground runes mean the difference between victory and defeat?  If so, you're off your rocker.  If not, you agree with me.

3) My point, which you seem to have mistaken for some sort of deranged complaint about Runewarden's effectiveness, is that water stopping ground runes creates a stable equilibrium where both players sit on their preferred terrain types twiddling their thumbs.  Everything in the bottom half of your post provides more evidence for validity of refusing to fight on your opponent's terms.

This will be my last reply on the topic because I want to get out of the way and let people discuss the artefacts rather than clog the thread with a combat argument.  Plus you're arguing my point for me, so why bother.
  • Kei said:

Does Incinerate currently restore Sunlight for Druids? If not, doesn't really make sense to have an artefact that increases something they don't have.

Also not sure if the mechanics on Absolve had changed, but I believe there used to be (and possibly still is) an additional ability they had to use on the target in order to actually receive Devotion back when Absolving. Changing the Cincture of the Devoted to be Damnation or Absolve would make it useful for both Paladin and Priest, though.
  • Absolve/Penitence restore devotion.  These artefacts restore WP.
  • @Ernam: Damnation also restores Devotion, and there's a special case for that for the Cincture of the Devoted, as is laid out quite clearly in the posted description:

"As well as the individual powers listed below, they will return some willpower and endurance upon a successful instakill.
    A Cincture of the Devoted (restores additional devotion from DAMNATION)"

Doesn't seem unreasonable to have it restore additional devotion from DAMNATION or ABSOLVE.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I like these artefacts. You pay for perks. If you want them, buy them, if you don't, then don't.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Meh, the runie stick thing is kind of lame.  There is now an unstoppable counter to retardation tactics for runewarden, besides the whole stonewall/tumble/mono thing.  If magi could just get a way to remove the vibe-destroying room, it would make sense.  But since that doesn't exist, and you can't remove runes unless you have runelore.....

Indestructible cube sigils that can be dropped ANYWHERE, fuck yeah. 
  • yea, just seems a bad direction to take, especially since magi can't counter runes at all now. Eihwaz everywhere