class choices

Comments

• Xer said:
    Yeah, raiding >.> I can't get kills in raids unless I get an extremely lucky Thurisaz (it happened once!), or the people around you are nice enough to let you Tzantza people after they're locked. On the other hand, the ability to Vodun Travel and Vodun Summon can come in extraordinarily handy in escaping, helping others escape, or getting to where all the action is quickly.

I do like the idea of a raido/travel/prop cycle. Just tough to tank in raids when the other team wants you to die so they can come in...

And thanks to Sena for confirming what my desktop calculator just told me. I'm gonna build you a shrine. The Divine Order of Basic Mathematics.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • @Nim and @Iocun

If you both go Naga, I'll teach Nim how to grief and Iocun can be that guy that keeps our rage in check in the movies with his ideals. With a few modifications.

"I'm going to cut your --"

"DON'T DO IT, TVISTOR!"

"What?"

"Cutting a man's throat with a rusty knife is disRespectful. Hang him."
  • I have this crazy idea though for shaman, where I build a dungeon level in my house in the subs and fill it with different types of totems, and then challenge top-tier citymates to beat me down there for gold. (Since we wouldn't lose experience)
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    he'd just keep dashing into guards as per usual.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:

he'd just keep dashing into guards as per usual.

Dash? DASH?! Only noobs dash. I gallop, TYVM.
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    edited November 2012
    I'm basically always a druid or a priest (I was a White Mage in FFXI, for instance) in RP games, so it was basically down between druid, sylvan, and priest. I ended up making a priest alt, of course, but initially I chose Sylvan because I really liked the House RP, and I wanted to do something different than the stereotypical priest or druid RP. Whoo elements! Whoo scholar-warriors!

I'm staying sylvan because I feel like it's an excellent balance of support, defense, and offense. We can reflect and barrier people; we have okay armour, a sip bonus from concoctions, and the CON bonus from viridian, as well as vigour and panacea; and we have thornrend/heartseed/stormhammer/transfix. Hunting is always super easy as a sylvan most of the time. Back when tsol'aa had willpower regen, WP was less of a concern, but now I pretty much have to use my grove rain and hive every day, which isn't so bad.

My only gripe with it is the lack of area attacks. I basically had to buy a ranger's bow just so I could be useful when everyone else is sketching thurisaz or choking.
  • Wasn't sure whether to like or disagree with Mizik's post since I too can't stand classes without quick kills, though I'd argue shamans don't have it very bad.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Daeir said:
    ...Iocun as a Naga...
    I just got chills.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I picked Jester because my combat skills are laughable.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Kyrra was my first character and I'd spent a couple days looking through all the classes to see which appealed. In most games, I always play a caster type but magi didn't really appeal to me in Achaea. Runelore did, however, and I was really torn between Shaman and Runewarden.

In the end, Cyrene sounded like a nicer place to live than Hashan, and so I went with Runewarden. I've never regreted the decision. Hell, I've been the same class all the time, the exact same race, and only -just- changed cities.

Due to curiosity with some other classes, when I returned from dormancy I did roll a few alts. Sylvans have always been intriguing and if it weren't for cities throwing out forestals (I don't believe in grand-fathering people in to play special snowflake favourites), I may have actually considered a class change. So I have a sylvan, which I thoroughly enjoy for the blend of forest-dweller and caster. Groves are wicked fun and I like owning my own little piece of land in the wide open world. I've shaman, serpent, and blademaster alts as well. I find them enjoyable to play but I always return to my runewarden.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Started back on Achaea after along time and made a new char. I went Jester because I had loved the Jester guild.

Obliterate was my favorite thing ever and it destroyed everything always. After I got bored with that (I was like 15 or 16 so couldn't buy credits to trans out skills and like bashings boring bro) I made an Apostate alt. This class I loved and still loved however with out trans skills this again had become a problem.

I made a new alt Caladbolg, an Infernal I picked Infernal because of the massive amounts of Serpents around and I wanted to kill thiefs. and I did, It was pretty fun of course all I fought was low tier. After such I got so frustrated with pretty much me Loth and Pontus the only ones out of 20-30 people online that would defend hashani against raiders until Mhaldor came in and killed them all I went dormant.

At some point later I came back for a bit and screwed around and then quit again, At some point Talysin told me a new class came out, Blademaster so of course im like well whatever I don't care to much might as well quit infernal and try blademaster. and so I did and I fell in love with the class.
    Probley about a year later I had a contract on an occultist and raged that he killed me with warp/meteor meteor so I decided I was going to go magi, and I disliked it very much. however I did like the SoA so I went Shaman since Shaman had been my favorite class when guilds were around, And I loved shaman so. My only problem which is still my problem is I dunno wtf im doing with afflictions. and could only kill people by slowlocking. Which came into problems when I kept fighting people and more people kept coming in, so I went back to Blademaster the class I knew I could kill 2v1 pretty easily. Sometime after this I got annoyed at being so squishy. So I went Paladin which was awesome, except for the extremely hard time I was having finding weapons. However around this time Svo came out and I switched to mudlet. but I couldn't figure out -anything- to do with mudlet and I knew after seeing the speed of svo I couldn't return to zmud so I just kinda went dormant for awhile. sometime after that I believe Draqoom told me the Alchemist class came out so I went alchemist. Couldn't figure out wtf anything did went dormant for awhile. got bored one day came back, Quit Alchemist and went monk. Monk was alright but the annoyance of trying to get kai got me bored with the class and I went runewarden. Runewarden was extremely powerfully strong. But soon I got bored of the class and went Blademaster again. And again im in love with the class.

Reasons I like Blademaster over other classes:
    Blademaster has brokenstar, I think instantkills make Achaea unique from other games I've played and I enjoy playing classes that setup for an instant kill over other things.

Blademaster has Evade,Fullsense, Clarity(Lifevision) and Mindnet. These are extremely strong abilities and I miss lifevision everytime im playing a diffrent class.

Highleap, and Annihilation make me feel like a badass, Most of the skills when reading what you do as a blademaster make me feel like a badass but these two are the cherry on the cake.

Limb breaking, I prefer being able to prep and break limbs over afflictions.

My only real problem with Blademaster is the Accuracy of the class and the fact I don't think i've fought outside mir since i've came undormant and lived more than a few seconds.

Although after playing Serpent I have to say I highly enjoy that class, Killing people no I have no idea what im doing there, but the escape ability the spying all that such it's awesome.

• I started as Sylvan, was kick-ass for hunting. Decided to join another house and took the only class accepted there with a tradeskill (Serpent) since I could hunt in Dragon form. Since then, the only time I am in Serpent form is when I am milking venoms. Would love to be Magi though. Haizz
  • I started as Shaman because it had dolls (yes, seriously :() and was a little mortified to learn I could not hunt with vodun. There was an opportunity to switch to super hardcore good with the event and there was someone super sweet I wanted to become bloodsworn with, so I ran with it and hoped for the best. I have not had a single regret and I love Paladin, for bashing, for the roleplay, for the fighting (I made a strategy called "damned if you do, damned if you don't"), for the utility of healing/helping people, rites, everything about it is really enjoyable for me.

i'm a rebel

• heyy guys im just needing some advice on classes (yes im changing heh) what are the pros and cons of these classes and just a general rundown of them?
    blademaster
    jester
    occie
    shaman
  • edited January 2013
    Went Runewarden at the start because it sounded like the neatest of the knight classes. I eventually gave up since getting into combat as a knight back then was probably even more daunting than it is now what with there being little to no decent public systems and me being too young and bad at programming to deal with the thought of writing an entire system.

Then I went monk for bashing (where I learned to make aliases!). Then bard for arpee when they were introduced. Then serpent because I was interested in leaving Cyrene and thought it seemed neat. Then jester because I was interested in leaving cities altogether. Then, when houses became a thing, I ended up back in Cyrene as a sylvan because I was still awful at combat and viridian bashing+concoctions was an attractive combination. Then a glorious return to serpent when I went to the Naga, where I stayed for a very long time.

Then Shaman for a brief bit when it was suddenly trendy for combatants, only to discover that it didn't magically make me good at it. Then back to Naga. Then alchemist when it was introduced for the arpee, which fit well, but, like bard, was not a class I enjoyed mechanically. Then blademaster, which I enjoyed mechanically while still being awful and making virtually no sense RP-wise for Tael and marked the point where I started trying to learn combat a bit more. Then Magi once I was really starting to get combat more, which was especially good since the key moments involved slower fighting, which helped me a lot. Then finally back to serpent and Naga, which I am very unlikely to leave again for various reasons.

The main moral of the story is that changing to classes that are considered "good at combat" at a given time will not make you good at combat. Also, I've been playing this game too damn long.

That and the fact that Tael has kind of gotten around.
  • edited January 2013
    Jespar said:
    heyy guys im just needing some advice on classes (yes im changing heh) what are the pros and cons of these classes and just a general rundown of them?
    blademaster
    jester
    occie
    shaman

Blademasters are very good hunters, up there with Monks easily. Their combat is very potent, with a simple mechanical execution that's very difficult to counter once it moves in for the kill. The class abilities give you various toys to play with, though most of them won't be used in serious combat - still, you'd be surprised how many people you can kill unarmed using Voidfist and striking loops. In groups, we're considerably weaker - group melee we provide some significant bonuses, from rapid stunning to raze speed/asthma for an ally's Aeon to plain out impale looping. But outside of melee we're Kai-monkeys at best. Our defense isn't spectacular, either - generally if you can hold a Blademaster down you can kill them. Mir helps significantly, and arties can make up the difference, but combat will tend to end quickly one way or the other.

I'm not as familiar with the other three, but Jesters are nasty to fight against if they know what they're doing due to the quantity of tricks they can put into play, Occultists are basically the kings of raid combat/support as far as I can tell, and Shamans... Okay I know basically nothing about Shamans.

If you're picking a class purely for raids, I'd go Occultist. Purely for combat capability, I'd go Blademaster. But you ought to go for what you find fun and interesting to play, above all else - none of them are crippled, so.

Back on topic: I started as a Paladin, didn't get along with the Paladins Guild very well, and moved to Cyrene when autoclass came in. Then to Hashan. Then I went Infernal for a while. Then Runewarden. At no point did I actually have the faintest clue what I was doing, I just liked the knight aesthetic.

I went dormant for a long while, came back, Blademasters were a new shiny thing. Tried it out, instantly fell in love with the class aesthetic, feel, and mechanics. Haven't looked back since.
  • Do love being the Blademaster in a melee fight. If I'm not instantly targeted, someone's going down.
  • I wish he was exaggerating. He let me beat him in a spar and then everyone made fun of him and he beat me in 17 seconds or something silly like that in the next one. :(

i'm a rebel

• Give yourself more credit, it was 25 seconds until push token time.
  • @mizik are they that good in a melee fight.. or is it just you
    (probably just him)
    Blademasters very powerful, obviously being someone like Mizik will affect the scales, not just offensively for him, but people tend to do stupid things against big name combatants, I still haven't figured out why.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    Blademasters are almost on the level of broken imo

Only problem is getting the limb count right.. >.<

Definitely not broken tactics wise, just requires more out of the box thinking to avoid dying too. Where they are broken is the level of willpower drain they induce, but some would argue shorter bouts are better.

-

As drawn by Shayde

• Mishgul said:
    Definitely not broken tactics wise, just requires a ring of flying

Iocun said:

Mishgul said:
    Definitely not broken tactics wise, just requires a ring of flying

Tbh I love when people use ring of flying because I can typically highleap and bstar before they get balance back.

Duanathar or whatever is really what gets me though.

On the other hand what I had found so broken, I actually just experienced on my alt and I got past it by spamming clot after my system decided 20% mana no we're not going to clot anymore.

Just leave the room and run around until bleeding stops.

-

As drawn by Shayde

Mishgul said:
    Just leave the room and run around until bleeding stops.
    :\ These are the reasons I try to get impaleslash and btwist off before breaking legs. so I have people bstar'd before they stand >.<

I run away on the impaleslash if my legs aren't already broken

-

As drawn by Shayde
    Mishgul said:
    I run away on the impaleslash if my legs aren't already broken
    If you don't your already dead, however voidfist+para with some luck will let you get off that impaleslash+btwist+break legs.. Only way i've found to kill some people.

But then again most of the time I dunno wtf im doing