Surname Registry

Option at the bloodline registry to add a surname to public record. Would let people see the most prominent bloodlines and where they came from if you add the city of origin option (rogue being another option for no affliation). Some bloodlines might have an even distribution over two or more cities so you could have a setting for 'origin' and for 'current base'.

The only issue in registering members would be people who are lying, so there would have to be a limit per person of claiming membership to no more than 2 families. You could of course have a single head of the family but in large families that could be hard to determine, so probably a referendum type confirmation from active family members, wouldn't take long for people to confirm or deny. If anybody gets a denial there'd hopefully be a reason for it and require administrative validation (and possibly revoking the voting rights of the troll who said no).

tl;dr - implementation got a little more complicated as I went along, basically create a surname registry

Sort options:
- alphabetical, number of members, city, etc.
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Creating a family in Lusternia was one of my favorite things about that game. It added so much roleplay value to my characters' lives. I think we might see arguing about who is the head of the family in Achaea and also some issues with long-standing families being unable to register because their original founder is no longer active.

For example, Flash, Almondus, Gyrth  and I are all active progeny of the original Van Helsing (Glyc). Draqoom is technically Glyc's grandchild and our nephew, but he runs the family clan. If the system were to work similarly to Lusternia, I'm not sure it would allow him to capture those of us who are really first generation Van Helsings, unless the system wasn't wholly reliant on bloodlining alone for populating progeny. I'm sure there's a work around to this though.

Likewise, it would be fantastic if a family could disown or disavow a member. I think one of the other IRE games has this system in place as well although I can't recall which one atm. If it was implemented though, I'd prefer to see degrees of disavowal over a one-time you're renounced and you are no longer in our family kind of thing -- mechanics that encourage second chances and roleplayed resolutions to family relationships can be fun. 

• Yeah since most family clans are OOC I didn't think going the channel/clan route would work but some form of that would make the member 'induction' work so that they acknowledge that the person is a 'Lichlord' or 'Van Helsing' and not just a... groupie? But so that dormancy and power trips don't interfere, I thought the communal voting would be smarter.
  • Sena said:
    Bluef said:
    unless the system wasn't wholly reliant on bloodlining alone for populating progeny. I'm sure there's a work around to this though.
    I think it would necessarily have to be separated from bloodline, to allow marrying into a family (which I think should be officially possible) and adoptions.
    Could this system potentially even replace or re-work bloodlining to some extent and actually (about damn time) allow for IC families to be formed by couples of the same sex? 
  • IC families can be formed by couples of the same sex, you just can't be someone's biological father if you're female or biological mother if you're male. The bloodline system isn't about family, it's about bloodlines.
  • Woah, they currently can't? I didn't know that.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Bluef said:
    Sena said:
    Bluef said:
    unless the system wasn't wholly reliant on bloodlining alone for populating progeny. I'm sure there's a work around to this though.
    I think it would necessarily have to be separated from bloodline, to allow marrying into a family (which I think should be officially possible) and adoptions.
    Could this system potentially even replace or re-work bloodlining to some extent and actually (about damn time) allow for IC families to be formed by couples of the same sex? 
    Sena said:
    IC families can be formed by couples of the same sex, you just can't be someone's biological father if you're female or biological mother if you're male. The bloodline system isn't about family, it's about bloodlines.
    That's why I'm asking if this system would allow for a re-work of things so that a same-sex couple could form a family together - and then roleplay bloodlining and/or adopting children. Right now there is no in-game mechanism for adoption apart from roleplaying it, but if it were possible to legally adopt someone via the new fangled Family Registry Center in Delos, that'd be great, especially for this situation and also for any family members who are disavowed/renounced and want to find themselve a new spiritual mommy or daddy.
  • If offspring can be different species from their parents, I think we can allow for a bit of diversity with regard to sex and gender as well.
  • Having same-sex couples produce offspring, and having children that are completely different race is a real stretch, in my opinion.  The race thing less so due to reincarnation, which could always be used as an excuse but the same-sex parents?  What kind of strange magic would have to be done to make that happen?
  • edited August 2014
    I'd be fine with there being some magical/alchemical way for women to father children or for men to give birth (though that does have some structural issues). If I can clone a miniature copy of myself in a lab, someone could probably work out a way to get around normal reproduction.

More on-topic-ly: I'm not sure how well this suggestion would work without making families into actual organisations with some sort of governmental structure to decide who the leaders are. Unless you go the other way and it's simply a matter of registering non-blood relations in the same way as bloodlining, and setting an official surname that doesn't have any ramifications beyond being official (maybe being able to automatically include it in your title).
  • As long as the kid can be summoned and used like a homunucleous, I'm fine with that.  I'll have hundreds of them!
  • Iuneos said:
    Having same-sex couples produce offspring, and having children that are completely different race is a real stretch, in my opinion.  The race thing less so due to reincarnation, which could always be used as an excuse but the same-sex parents?  What kind of strange magic would have to be done to make that happen?
    Cloning Vats.

Also, obligatory Secret Project video for Alpha Centauri fans:

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Same sex bloodlines seem legit,  as long as a donor name is also included and it requires you going to a special bank in Delos that the donor is randomly selected from a pool of whoever "donated" that year. 
  • That's not a bloodline though, the biological father would still be the donor. That also doesn't help with male mothers.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    That is why I like the idea/option of having one parent bloodline and another adopt. @Flair and I roleplayed growing a kid in laboratory test tube, and we once bloodlined an orphan from Shallam, so having two male or two female players form a family with their own surname and then bloodline/adopt kids should not be a stretch of the imagination for anyone. The only thing missing is the game mechanic for it.

[Edit: This could also open up the opportunity for roleplay with the other biological mother/father depending on how it all worked. I mean, it takes a village to raise a child, right or so they say in Tomacula. The more involvement in family RP the better!]
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Always up for better family interaction in game, Family is one of my favorite parts of this game and one of the main reasons I enjoy it.

Although for instance the only time I have ever met the original founder of the Van Helsings was.. 13 irl years ago (Oddly enough my irl friend who got me playing this game to start with is my grandfather by coincidence haven't seen him since I made Caladbolg as well.) So in other words how will this act with founders of familys being forever dormant? Or will this cause problems with dormant founders?

and as far as same sex bloodlining While personally I think the idea is far fetched and likely uneeded as we already know males do not have the parts to produce children (except those weird personal time emotes and such) it's a fantasy world where people can be made with magic!

• edited August 2014
    Yeah, this is a game where magic is real, you can die multiple times a day, stupidity is curable, and gods exist. If a kid having two moms/two dads is where a person's believability line gets crossed, I think there are some other underlying attitudes at play that they ought to interrogate.

Also, as an addendum: at present, you can bloodline a child without even having a second partner at all. So by current logic, individuals can procreate asexually already. I think most folks choose to have other RP reasons for this phenomenon, but still, that is presently how the bloodlining mechanism works.
  • Wow I leave for a little while and this turned into same-sex reproduction.

I think the reproduction line is one you can't fudge for believability, cause even though there is magic, people still don't bleed orange juice. Physiology is still a thing even if Achaea may not be 21st century about the science. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is... If any of you lesbians need any sperm...
  • Dad told me mom was a storm bull.  Are you saying he lied to me? 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Rohai said:
    you can bloodline a child without even having a second partner at all. So by current logic, individuals can procreate asexually already. I think most folks choose to have other RP reasons for this phenomenon, but still, that is presently how the bloodlining mechanism works.
    Eh. I think you are willfully going for the bizarre when there's a very easy explanation that makes more sense. Namely, that you can declare someone as being your son/daughter without explicitly declaring who the father/mother is. Very much like illegitimate sons and daughters. 

of course, if you rather pretend it was asexual procreation, well, thats a perfectly valid cup of tea, too.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• No, you're right, I absolutely am. But I'm just saying purely based on hard-coded in game mechanics, that would be within the realms of possibility.
  • I don't mind the idea of keeping a separate "bloodline" record and leaving it as 'official procreation records', etc., but having a separate family system would be fantastic if there was some way to account for older families (like Lucoster, for example, as I doubt Sinistar or Gwenhwyfar are planning to wake anytime soon).

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• edited September 2014
    Sena said:
    IC families can be formed by couples of the same sex, you just can't be someone's biological father if you're female or biological mother if you're male. The bloodline system isn't about family, it's about bloodlines.
    I understand fully what you're saying and it's validity, but there are occasional circumstances that circumvent the conventional knowledge (yes, I know why this happened too)

Saadya          M: Artanis            F: Artanis

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Rohai said:
    Yeah, this is a game where magic is real, you can die multiple times a day, stupidity is curable, and gods exist. If a kid having two moms/two dads is where a person's believability line gets crossed, I think there are some other underlying attitudes at play that they ought to interrogate.

Also, as an addendum: at present, you can bloodline a child without even having a second partner at all. So by current logic, individuals can procreate asexually already. I think most folks choose to have other RP reasons for this phenomenon, but still, that is presently how the bloodlining mechanism works.
    Personally i've just rp'd out that my motherless children are earned through battle,
    or maybe I said Victory's sweet reward

It's been awhile since i've had to say it but yes I rp my children out through rape of those i've defeated.

• Well that's gross. 

Anyway, the whole idea here was mainly to have a list of surnames, and possibly their level of prominence. 
  • Xith said:

I think the reproduction line is one you can't fudge for believability, cause even though there is magic, people still don't bleed orange juice. Physiology is still a thing even if Achaea may not be 21st century about the science. 

By all that is knowable and unknowable, it's like you humans don't even try.

Behold, the solution to 90.23812% of your problems!

• GawiGawi Washington

I'm pretty sure the admins have pretty much said no to any changes regarding bloodline or family in the past. That they do not feel the need to add to it. Though I think that is totally bogus and family is one of the main reasons that I have continued to stay and spend money.

With regards to dormant heads of family, then the head of family moves to the next of kin that is not dormant?

Also I would LOVE to see something where instead of choosing all your children and taking them to delos to bloodline them, you put yourself on a list of, I want a child, and then you are given a random child that has also put themselves on a list of wanting to be bloodlined.

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    Yes and no for the random child thing.

If they don't feel like they fit in the family it's going to end bad
  • GawiGawi Washington
    I have a few kids that have not fit well in the family and they have moved on and found their own fit, I think it would fit in well with the idea of you don't get to choose your family, plus it can make things interesting.