PK Rules and Consequences

Comments

• A lot of you guys need straws. 
  • Nim said:
    Why do writs still exist?
    Because they're needed to keep the reaction to an event (defiling) proportional (a single death).

The problem you have is that the mechanism to give Orders the means to seek retribution against an individual is coming into conflict with a number of individuals belief that an attack on their God's shrine that they defend against gives them personal roleplay justification to kill that person.

That's a perfectly reasonable and logical position to hold, but something obviously needs to be done about that conflict. I don't believe removing Writs is the way to go, otherwise you end up in a situation where every member of an Order potentially thinks they have sufficient reason to go out and kill a defiler, and a single action (defiling) suddenly leads to a totally disproportionate response (a number of deaths).

It might be better if Writs went directly to the Order (rather than to the individual who witnessed), granted sufficient roleplay justification to all members of the Order to attack that target until they're fulfilled or contracted out, and were fulfilled when any member of the Order killed that person. So if four members of an Order respond to a defilement, member A witnesses and member B gets the kill (though in reality all four people were involved in killing whoever defiled), the situation is handled. You won't both get killed by members of the Order at the time of defiling, then potentially have to deal with a Writ later on.
  • Claiming that defiling results in an unlimited amount of people attacking a person isn't exactly true.

There are very few people the generally go out and actively hunt people. Not that many per city.

• Bukariin said:
    After much dwelling on the topic, I think what needs to be added is a HELP file describing Reasonable Expectation of Warning.  It would resolve a lot of the confusion that culminates in issues and/or illegal hiring and/or frustration by non-combatants or casual combatants.
    CITY RELATIONS is a thing that exists, and I recall both Blackrock and Enverren having signs warning that they're under the protection of Mhaldor on the way in. Maybe these need more attention brought to them, but I don't agree that a citizen of Mhaldor should have to warn anybody (or worse, check to see if they've previously been warned) who is caught hunting in those areas before they're allowed to kill them.

The obligation for making sure you're not ignorant about the consequences of your actions rests with you, not anybody else.
  • @Antonius I agree with your assessment, but then you also have to consider the flip side of the coin. If you accept a city bounty on me and get a mark contract to kill me for doing whatever (not defiling) and then your order has a writ on me for defiling, then mechanically, killing me once resolves all three of those conflicts, but I really should be up for 3 deaths. How would you resolve those types of situations?
  • Killing you three times
  • @Jacen: Resolve in the order of bounty, contract, writ or contract, bounty, writ for each kill; I'm not really familiar with exactly how bounties work so don't know whether contracts or bounties should be considered more important. Basically every time I kill you, one of the things gets completed, not all three on the first kill. I'd be surprised if that wasn't how it already worked.

@Santar: If that's a response to my post, I didn't claim that, I just said that it's a potential consequence of such a change. Besides, it only takes a few people per city to go out hunting somebody for defiling a shrine a single time for the punishment to start being unnecessary considering the severity of the crime.
  • Jacen said:
    @Antonius I agree with your assessment, but then you also have to consider the flip side of the coin. If you accept a city bounty on me and get a mark contract to kill me for doing whatever (not defiling) and then your order has a writ on me for defiling, then mechanically, killing me once resolves all three of those conflicts, but I really should be up for 3 deaths. How would you resolve those types of situations?
    assuming you don't get teamed by those 3 people, isn't this exactly the sort of conflict you're looking for when defiling?  Or are you just assuming you suck and cannot beat anyone, in which case what exactly are you looking for by defiling?

• It seems to me that you want to do whatever you feel like without having to deal with consequences for your actions. 
  • What? I'm saying that the mechanics of each system would be bypassed. But if it works like Antonius suggested (Kill me once, contract is fulfilled, kill me again, bounty fulfilled, kill me again, writ is fulfilled) then everything works just fine. 
  • If you look at the PK system as, "I will do X, and then I will die X times for it" you're probably not going to have a good time PKing in general.

Most people who enjoyably enter into PK situations do so under the mindset that they want to -win- some or most encounters, even if it doesn't pan out that way all the time.

• Your complaining about dying three times because you took a shit on sometimes proverbial doorstep.  
  • Iuneos said:
    It seems to me that you want to do whatever you feel like without having to deal with consequences for your actions. 
    Then it seems to me like you skimmed this thread, found an opportunity do to some chest-puffing and don't have anything to contribute. 

I'm perfectly fine with accepting the consequences of my actions, I just want more clarification on what those consequences are and what I should do if things have gone over board.
  • If you defile a zealous city's shrines, you'll die a lot. 
  • Yeah, Santar articulated my thoughts perfectly. If you go into PK situations with the mechanical mindset of "I've generated 2 cause on myself... or is it 3?" you're going to get pissed off with conflict and very quickly. Just use your common sense - if you've defiled a shrine to x Divine, or raided x City, the people loyal to those organisations aren't going to be happy with you for the forseeable future (I think 6 to 12 months in-game is a fair estimate for minor aggression) and you should be open to being attacked by them. If you aren't, don't participate. It isn't as complicated as people try and make it out to be, (and I'm not targeting you Jacen just fyi), and those people are usually the ones that count cause, and hide behind issues as a means of getting their retribution rather than seeking in-character means or just accepting a defeat. 

That's not even mechanics of the PK system or integrated rules of it, it's just a part of roleplaying in a living environment.
  • @Iuneos: What society or culture do you come from where putting words in someone's mouth like that isn't being a jerk?
  • As for the overboard thing,  when you start quantifying how many times do and so can do something based off an event,  you get more lawyering. No one wants lawyers
  • Lol @nim I'm just expressing my thoughts. Please don't censor me or I will issue you ig and complain to my senator about you. 
  • Santar said:
    If you look at the PK system as, "I will do X, and then I will die X times for it" you're probably not going to have a good time PKing in general.

Most people who enjoyably enter into PK situations do so under the mindset that they want to -win- some or most encounters, even if it doesn't pan out that way all the time.

This is exactly the problem.  Very few people have the wherewithal to do that, or to learn to do that anytime soon.  Even if they did, a few people are always going to be at the top, and people who are slightly less good are going to net increasing losses.  

Most of the game is fairly alienated by, or at least intimidated/awed by (and either way, pretty much not participating in) PK.  Thinking back on it, I'd wager that this was a big part of Shallam's constant power struggle between people who wanted to be more militant and people who wanted *nothing* to do with PK (to be fair, here in Achaea they can and should probably move to Cyrene, but yeah).  I'm not sure if Targ is having the same problem, but it seems likely.  People know intuitively that they don't have the skills to not consistently lose, and that by "getting involved", unless they are incredibly careful, and place strict limits on themselves (as I do, when I go to Annwyn for pudding, or take part in Icon battles, or the Conclave battle), they could easily find they'd signed up for waaaaaaaay more than they can handle.  The irony of the situation is that I think it tends to make the game *more* anti-PK.  
  • Pros vs Cons
    Pros:Pk gain is more than pk loss if you practice up a bit and are not a jester or a shaman. Its fun. You earn respect. and the RUSH!
    Cons: People invest time in hunting and when they die its upsetting yeah. People just randomly kill you sometimes.

Ps
    The game is a lot better if you choose a side that has a moral obligation or a fanatical belief of somekind.  Leave Hashan

• Mako said:
    Pros vs Cons
    Pros:Pk gain is more than pk loss if you practice up a bit and are not a jester or a shaman. Its fun. You earn respect. and the RUSH!
    Cons: People invest time in hunting and when they die its upsetting yeah. People just randomly kill you sometimes.

Ps
    The game is a lot better if you choose a side that has a moral obligation or a fanatical belief of somekind.  Leave Hashan

Moral of the story: everyone should just be trying to gain dragon through pk.
  • Extrum is a great Jester (if I'm recalling the proper character) and Kafziel is a deadly shaman. I'm not sure why they have such a negative reputation. Naah was also starting to get her jester skills whipped into serious shape.

• Jovolo said:
    Yeah, Santar articulated my thoughts perfectly. If you go into PK situations with the mechanical mindset of "I've generated 2 cause on myself... or is it 3?" you're going to get pissed off with conflict and very quickly. Just use your common sense - if you've defiled a shrine to x Divine, or raided x City, the people loyal to those organisations aren't going to be happy with you for the forseeable future (I think 6 to 12 months in-game is a fair estimate for minor aggression) and you should be open to being attacked by them. If you aren't, don't participate. It isn't as complicated as people try and make it out to be, (and I'm not targeting you Jacen just fyi), and those people are usually the ones that count cause, and hide behind issues as a means of getting their retribution rather than seeking in-character means or just accepting a defeat. 

That's not even mechanics of the PK system or integrated rules of it, it's just a part of roleplaying in a living environment.
    This exemplifies what I'm saying, though. On one hand, a respected PKer is saying that you probably shouldn't die more than once for defiling a shrine (@Antonius) while on the other, you're saying I should expect up to two weeks of retaliation for defiling a shrine. What's acceptable? What's not? Am I not allowed to issue or claim being griefed if I defiled a shrine two weeks ago?

I don't know if I'm not getting my point across or what, I don't see what's so hard to understand about this. We have people saying "this action is definitely illegal" and the same people saying "Suck it up, you shouldn't do x if you didn't want it to happen"

I'm not necessarily counting deaths, but I know that I ( and most people that start into PK conflict) am going to go a long ways backwards before I start eeking my way forwards, and fuck, I'd like to protect my hundreds of hours of investment against consequences that some respectable people have said are being levied unfairly.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    They don't necessarily have a bad reputation. It's just difficult for the good side of them to shine due to the way they play their classes.
  • I've been super hard PK mode for over a year now, and am barely starting to actually see xp gains through it. If more people would make it a point to speak with the person that they killed/killed them, as to why and what you could have done to not die, I feel like the environment would be a better one.

Most of the time, people get upset not necessarily about the death, but about how they died, because they don't know what it is or how to defend it or sometimes just get lolganked. Seems like communication is failing on both ends of the spectrum.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited September 2014
    If you're facing:
    - griefy tactics (multi-person ganks)
    - ganks without cause
    then you can hire a mark, or just avenge yourself.

The above doesn't apply if you are:
    - infamous
    - in open hostilities with the aggressor(s)' org(s)
    - a neo maxi zoom dweebie

If you are one of those things, or did something to deserve attacks:
    - suck it up

If you didn't, then "suck it up" definitely doesn't apply because that's terrible RP. Meta-death is an unfortunate side-effect of a well-developed combat game, but since Achaea is also a glorious RP environment, try not to devalue death and make everything about mechanics. That's - I think - the whole point in the switch from PK "cause" to RP common sense.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.