Commodity Market

Here is what I predict happening:

People will now go out and buy every place out, which will raise the prices on commodities considerably.  This is so that people will be able to sell their own commodities at a high price and they will have to do it because when you buy out commodities the trade posts end up setting the price here.  Everything, except for food and ink and herb/alchemy items, will then end up going up in price due to the fact that you have to spend a lot on the commodities to make the items.  Cities will go broke trying to repair damage after a raid.  Novices will then go broke trying to pay for their first rapier and set of armor.  ...Magi will increase, though, if only because they have no weapon/armor combo.

Am I being super hyperbolic?  Yes, extremely.  But comms will go up in price, places will get bought out, and everything else is going to become way more expensive.

Comments

• Let's not forget that every city with a scimitar needs about 500 obsidian a year.

• NylithNylith Beaverton, OR

This will be a boon for everyone who owns a satchel. It'll be a lot easier for them to dump extra comms on the market. Wish I had a few more....

• The opposite will happen long-term. This amounts to increasing the supply of comms by removing the friction associated with person to person trades. 

• What about a comms market, Sarapis?  I remember seeing you say something to the effect that people are hoarding massive quantities of comms in their personal rifts (although I'm not totally sure why this is more of a problem than anything else people hoard in game), and that you want people to let go of some of that.  Pushing cities into buying from private parties at a higher price seems like it should really help, but a comms market could really get things going.  

I'm still not crazy about consumer driven commodity pricing, although it's at least having a slight dampening effect on uber rapiers right now, which I like, but certainly not how I'd hope forging gets "fixed" - i.e. by making people even more miserable/determined to get that *one* awesome weapon.  

• Psst. @Jules‌

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4199                                     (08/23/2014 at 15:45)  

From   : Sarapis, the Logos

To     : Everyone

Subject: The Commodities Market of Delos

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's now a commodities market in Delos that does for comms what the credit market does for 

credits. You can go there to buy and sell commodities either for yourself or, if you're in the Trade 

Ministry, for your city.

HELP COMMMARKET will show you the help file, and just typing CM will give you the syntax as well.

Enjoy! (And see you in a week. I'm outta here!)

Penned by My hand on the 15th of Chronos, in the year 662 AF.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• Haha, awesome :P

• SPECULATION INTENSIFIES

•      CM CITY LIST [comm] doesn't work, but I bugged it already.

CM SELL <num> <comm> [FOR] <price> FROM CITY

This should be usable from the city council room and with the option to sell from available or reserves. Currently, you can oversell which means that you have to go back to the city and fix the available. If it could be done from the city, this would be a non-issue. I don't suggest allowing buying, only selling, from the city council room. Possibly also cm city list and cm cancel city could be done from the council room.

• Rispok said:

CM CITY LIST [comm] doesn't work, but I bugged it already.

Try CM LIST CITY, that works.