Robes of the Grand Magi

MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

Jhui said:
Yo @Tecton‌@Sarapis‌.  I know forum complaints generally get a healthy compromise when they're warranted.

I'll quote the original announce from the reckoning:

"To give an example, one of the talismans is a new version of the Robes of the Magi, bestowing a 1/3rd reduction in willpower usage as well as mana usage. If you/your city are supporting Maklak, when you complete the talisman, you'll receive Robes of the Ice Mage, which will not be available after this promotion. If you're supporting Yudhishthira, you'll receive Robes of the Fire Mage."

Now, I understand this can mean "Robes of the Ice Mage" and not Robes of the Grand Magi, but man, this felt like a pseudo-auction artie.  I priced this bad boy like I would any other unique, limited artefact and paid a hefty 3.5k credits for it.  The only reason I got it for 3.5k credits was because it was a friend, too.  He had an offer for 5.5k credits.  The Ice Mage customization is not anywhere near worth the extra price.  

Even if I had bought them for 5.5.k credits I would not be able to trade them in at that price to rebuy these new ones.

I'll be happy with 3 solutions:

1. GIMME 1000 CREDITS!

2. Make these new robes stack with the conclave robes for the WP part: 2/3 WP reduction, hello!

3. Meet somewhere in the middle and make the conclave robes worth 1/2 WP reduction, because they were supposed to be a limited artefact.

Highlighting this. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae

Comments

• Jhui said:

Now, I understand this can mean "Robes of the Ice Mage" and not Robes of the Grand Magi, but man, this felt like a pseudo-auction artie.  I priced this bad boy like I would any other unique, limited artefact and paid a hefty 3.5k credits for it.  The only reason I got it for 3.5k credits was because it was a friend, too.  He had an offer for 5.5k credits.

That's a lot of Snapple!

• Brb buying grand magi robes before theyre repriced or discontinued just so I can stick it to the man in a few days.  B)

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited August 2014
    Honestly,  everyone who got the conclave version should be given 3k credits for time wasted,  friend payback,  and any amount of ooc credits they purchased stretching their rl budget to buy these.  Minus 50cr customization fee.

• Or they could just honor their word and discontinue the artefact. It'd be an enormous mess to try to retcon the entire talisman shuffle that happened in June. They shouldn't have advertised it as limited and bilked players out of their time and money if they had any desire to sell this artifact for a flat price later.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    If they do that,  I can't buy one! 

• edited August 2014

It's really the only thing close to fair they can do.  I'm comfortable with other solutions, but others may not be.

Some people may have wanted (and went well out of their way/budget to buy) the conclave robes just because no one else could get them later.  Any sort of pricing compensation doesn't negate the fact that people may have dipped into savings to get a once in a lifetime artie at a specific time.  They may not even want the artefact itself priced at 2.5k credits.

• Daeir said:

I bet 10 bucks they're going to argue the customization was limited-time only and that the robes were going to come in at a later date regardless.

Ya, I think we're all terribly afraid they will do that, but going to give them a chance first.

Hope it gets resolved before Tecton goes on vacation too.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!

Tempted to buy one, ask for the desc of one of the conclave robes, and just customize it to that.

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Jhui said:
    Daeir said:

I bet 10 bucks they're going to argue the customization was limited-time only and that the robes were going to come in at a later date regardless.

Ya, I think we're all terribly afraid they will do that, but going to give them a chance first.

Hope it gets resolved before Tecton goes on vacation too.

They're not going to now that you guys have successfully circled the wagons, and rightfully so.  Over the years I've seen the playerbase put up with and even defend admin actions that were... not in the best interest of player pocket books, although I can't remember a good example just now.  It usually went a bit like this though.  The difference is wow was this blatant.  They either didn't think it through, or thought the playerbase would accept and even defend it as they sometimes do.  

• Lol, totally saw this coming.

• edited August 2014
    Seftin said:

Lol, totally saw this coming.

it crossed my mind, naturally, when the conclave robes came out.  But I figured even if they added it down the line it would at least stack with the 'pseudo-auction' conclave robes so that the people that bought them then would still have something unique over the rest.  (WP reduction isn't game-breaking OP when you can metagame it with kill/rezzing)

Not to mention, I knew in the back of my mind they couldn't possibly fuck over their big spenders all spending >3k cr on average to get these robes.

• edited August 2014
    Jhui said:
    Seftin said:

Lol, totally saw this coming.

it crossed my mind, naturally, when the conclave robes came out.  But I figured even if they added it down the line it would at least stack with the 'pseudo-auction' conclave robes so that the people that bought them then would still have something unique over the rest.  (WP reduction isn't game-breaking OP when you can metagame it with kill/rezzing)

Not to mention, I knew in the back of my mind they couldn't possibly fuck over their big spenders all spending >3k cr on average to get these robes.

nvm

• just leaving this here since it's about the topic:

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/172253/#Comment_172253

Sarapis said:

The Robes of the Grand Magi are not in the plans to be a regular artefact after this promotion is over if that's what you're wondering. I can't say never because who knows what happens years from now, but you're certainly not going to be able to just pick them up next month or whatever.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

Thank you @Tecton i love you

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Josoul said:

just leaving this here since it's about the topic:

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/172253/#Comment_172253

Sarapis said:

The Robes of the Grand Magi are not in the plans to be a regular artefact after this promotion is over if that's what you're wondering. I can't say never because who knows what happens years from now, but you're certainly not going to be able to just pick them up next month or whatever.

Well, it wasn't the next month. Two months after.

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    edited August 2014
    Not quite as bad for me but imagine my surprise when my never to be seen again bait bucket I got at auction for 2k credits are once again being passed out like candy.  So, yeah. 

• Daeir said:

That's what they did with Chenubis wings. Twice.

"These will never, ever be available again."

Omg they sold for like 7k credits, let's sell ~5 more sets.

This was incredibly, incredibly poor form by the admin, but I can't say that I'm surprised.

• edited August 2014

I have a hard time arguing with the admin releasing "Never available again" stuff at a later date. You have no idea how irritated I was when the Shop of Wonders first opened, and I couldn't afford crowns at the time. Then some things I wanted got taken out of the Shop, and oh well, that's the ball game. Nevermind the auctions whose base prices I couldn't even dream about having enough for, much less competing for the items. I get the idea of uniqueness and all, but when those things come not at the expense of effort in the game (like the Staff of Nicator or something), but at how much money you make/have in your trust fund in real life, it can piss some people off. It's not that the opportunity is missed so much as the opportunity never existed for them in the first place.

I mean, people bitch about veils being the rich kid's prestige and all, yet if you can't afford 7k credits at exactly the right moment, you never get the cool item? I've had an SoA on a grand total of TWO characters in the past eight or so years I've played Achaea. The first one also had a level one pendant, and a keyring. I spent quite a bit on Naverre just to get the enchanted pebble when it first released, just because it was something I really wanted for the character, and I knew that at some point, I'd never be able to get it again. And I have an on-again off-again relationship with Iron Elite, when I can afford it. Maybe once I get a decent job (hope to God it's sometime soon, but that's something for OOC rants), I'll be able to afford pouring some more money into Achaea. Until then, I'm pretty much screwed out of any "really cool, unique stuff" that comes along.

This isn't like that one drake mount I wanted in WoW but couldn't get because I came into the game too late. Despite both being about the timing, it had nothing to do with how much money I had in real life or in game. Everyone had a chance at it if they worked at the achievement. These "unique" things in Achaea have everything to do with your bank account. And that, combined with the "one time only", leads to us poorer players basically feeling pissed on. We get that enough in real life, let's try to avoid it in our fantasy, thanks.

So yeah, admin released the robes in the market for a very large amount. And, they might decide to release them again in the future. They might put back the Chenubian wings in another auction (might even sell them for an outrageous amount straight in the artefact shop). They might make that level 2 veil available for a significant upgrade price. They will hopefully reauction that silver dragon scalemail when I actually have money to spend (reminds me of Nethack!). And at some point, maybe someone who five years back looked at those things with an empty pocket and sighed and moved on will actually have a chance at them again.

So, tl;dr - Even if it was crass for this soon of a rerelease of the conclave robes, stop bitching that you had the money to get the cool items when they were available and the admin decide to let us poorer rabble have the opportunity in the future.

<edit>: Okay, sorry, that was a bit of rant, but I'm gonna leave it, because it's true.

• The Staff of Nicator is the biggest example of something amazing that you have to spend 0 credits to get :/

The problem we have, Navarre, is that the admin are saying 'We're not going to release this ever again.' and then they do it again, and in some cases multiple instances. That is not acceptable.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

@Cooper, I think you misunderstood a little, or the whole point, @Navarre was trying to make.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• There was a bit of an edit, and I didn't respond to the 'not having money/credits' part. (I forgot to hit post for like 30 minutes).

• I'm surprisingly not sad to see it (my Talisman of Binding) go.  I have hope that something more like what Santar was suggesting is implemented instead.  Thanks for hearing us, Tecton and Sarapis.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

Didn't they sort of hint some of the Conclave items might become available later?

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    Naverre said:

<stuff>

If you had money to spend on nice things you'd probably understand what it feels like to not get what was advertised.  The high paying customers are what allow this game to continue and be developed by new employees.  I'm very sorry that you feel pissed on because you haven't been given the opportunity to participate in things you can't afford.

If you want nice items there's a 50 credit customisation option that can really do some fun things, even funner with reactions at 25c.  

The point is, people feel cheated when they high bid on certain limited things then have them put on whole-sale at 1/2 or 1/4th the price when they're deemed too popular to stop selling.   I have no problem with auction items like wings, they're still very limited and worth the price people are willing to pay.  You can't go into an auction and be like this is a 1 of a kind Picasso, the only one ever made!  Then sell it for millions then be like, "well he actually made 500 copies we'll now sell all of these for 50 bucks a piece".

@Sarapis and @Tecton do great work and I trust them implicitly.  I think they simply overlook certain aspects sometimes (as all humans do, frequently).   Besides Sarapis makes great drinks, you can't be too bad of a guy with those kinds of tastes.  Thanks for your considerations and speedy responses.  <3

• edited August 2014

If it were something flavor-related, like a special mount that had the same level as a pet and you'd never be able to customise a pet like one, or something else similar (the out-of-sub houses are a good  example), that'd be different. A lot of Shop of Wonders stuff is flavor, like the eggs, the cookie jar, the cologne, the stationary kits.

A 1/3 save on willpower? That's not like a million dollar Picasso suddenly going for 50 bucks after you bought it. It's like "Hey, I bought this car that has 1,000 mpg! They're out of your price range and they only made five, but I'm glad I got one!" and a little after, "Oh, damn, they mass produced that car and they're selling it for a tenth of the price! I feel so cheated!". Maybe a little exaggerated in how useful, but... It's still different than a nice painting, and your argument suffers for it, in my opinion (stress: opinion).

I do want to say that even on my side of things, I can definitely see y'all's point: the admin didn't handle this the best way, and you guys who paid a lot for it during the event definitely got screwed by the relatively lower price in Delos. My rant boiled up when people started complaining about it in general. The admin have a right to change their mind, especially with this kind of thing, and unfortunately one group of people is going to be screwed some how, some way. I'm just giving my perspective of the issue.

• Sort of. He undid a portion of their mistake.

It's still extremely disappointing to hear them say 'This is a one time only item, we're not going to release it again ever' only to have them do that two months later.

• edited August 2014
    Antonius said:
    The solution is to just not say that things are one time only ever again. And to release more things in the shop rather than as promotional items.

Just to add, as a consumer, I'd want *more* clarity of intent, not more covering of the ass, especially for the middle ground where something comes out occasionally as a very limited, or somewhat limited release.  Tell me what your intentions are for this product's availability and pricing clearly and honestly.  

Like, the crazy chenubis wings you crazy people buy in auctions.  I think it's totally okay that those come up every so often.  They're still incredibly rare, and I bet people would have been fine with "one pair of these will come up every so often in an auction and be incredibly expensive based on how much you crazy people will pay for them".

More related than you might think, is that auction stuff really should be stuff that is kind of ridiculous.  I know there was some serious backlash against that sort of auction item after the whole Profit and his box thing, but it's really the only way auctions make sense, and when we push admin into *not* selling that sort of item, admin is going to sell the cool, harmless new idea Delphinus came up with for Shop of Wonders in the auction because to be fair, you're taking away the other options (ones that just might be kind of OP, but like, ONE guy in the entire game is going to have it, and he might not even be Jhui anyway).  That said, I'm still mad about that, even though it wasn't an item I was particularly interested in.  

Most things should really just be sold all the time or at least in regular rotations (like the monocle I bought on its original run that is now "occasionally" available for what seems like a really unreasonable price for a cool little doodad).  

Oh, I also hate talismans.  The only reason I'm remotely okay with them is because I can sell them or turn them in (and when I can't, I really hate them).  They're "okay" for a very low level artefact that has higher probability outcome.  I would never, *ever* try to complete an actual artefact this way unless it pretty much fell into my lap.  

• There's still a real lack of quality, or maybe I should say exciting, artefacts to buy once you reach a certain point. Granted that's a point that most people probably aren't ever going to reach, but it's still an issue. When your remaining options are things like extra int as a class that barely benefits from it, there's no real incentive to keep buying credits.

The thing I really don't like about auctions and promotional things like the robes is that if I spend a ton on buying credits, then can't get that one item I actually give a damn about, there's nothing else for me to do with them.