Talisman of Binding

Comments

• Piss on, @Dunn?

• edited August 2014

Please just stay on subject (Talisman of Binding), or get out.  As a side note, I would really appreciate it if people could stop insulting me.

• So after years of players criticizing the arties-to-counter-arties model (see veils), this is what they came up with? Haha lol.
  • @Santar I'm reasonably sure that if 100% of the playerbase agreed (which is almost the case), it wouldn't matter.  I completely agree with your point of view on this, but in my experience, trying to argue game quality over game profitability with IRE is like standing on a railroad and asking a train, politely, to stop.

• Don't like it? Don't buy it. There's a reason they keep veils around - you people keep buying them!
  • Voting with your feet only works if nearly everyone does it.  People seem to seriously hate veils, but people also have a fit if you suggest that IRE should simply stop selling *new* veils (as they did with horkval armour years ago), which is probably the only realistic way to get them out of the game.  
  • Jules said:
    Voting with your feet only works if nearly everyone does it.  People seem to seriously hate veils, but people also have a fit if you suggest that IRE should simply stop selling *new* veils (as they did with horkval armour years ago), which is probably the only realistic way to get them out of the game.  

Plenty of people go "I hate veils!" and then get one anyway. Not everyone hates them, I swear @Strata likes them to an unhealthy degree, but if you don't like them why are you spending $500 on something you don't like? You can call it supporting Achaea and that's great, but you can customize like twenty things on that budget, or build a house, or be @Seftin for a week!

• Noooo, don't summon Strata.  Now that you've done it, he'd better at least say something funny.  And that Seftin guy.  All I really know is that Aurora called him a dirty classhopper.  

But yeah, I think people buy the veil even if they hate the idea behind it, because the veil can still be purchased, and because they feel it's necessary to play the game at the level they want to play it at (and it probably is).  So, they can either say "but I hate veils, I will not buy one no matter what", or, they can buy the veil and not be the one guy in a group situation who doesn't have one (yay, now we know where the group is) or just easily ganked when alone, etc... The veil exists and is something of a norm in those cirlces, so a whole world of mechanics and player mores exist around the veil.  

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    If i wasn't a pro-serpent extremist, I would have never bought a veil. Veil and gem of cloaking makes the whole "invisible serpent" concept complete. Plenty of non-veiled players are way more successful infiltrators than me anyway (probably because I rarely ever do infiltration/theft type things). I don't mind that people don't like veils - except for @Nim cuz she annoying about it. :)

And to make sure this doesn't get closed, the only thing I'm going to say in this thread is: The loudest anti-veil proponents are the same ones who will just find another object to whine about as soon as veils are gone - and those peasants' flames shall be snuffed out at all costs.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Nim said:
    Don't like it? Don't buy it. There's a reason they keep veils around - you people keep buying them!

Using EA'S Answer to why they keep putting out shitty games and are considered one of the worst if not the worst company in the world.. isn't a good thing to base a game around. (And yes, this was there answer to people telling them how shitty they are).

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

but dragonage 3 looks so good :S

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • NimNim
    edited August 2014

@Strata: no I will whine about other things long before veils are deleted, like wings. wtf at having a VIP-access combat room, so dumb.

@Caladbolg: It's a bit more complicated than that, though. EA has the choice to stop making bad games, and continues to make them anyway. It'd be like if IRE went "veils sell for a fortune, let's make color-coded veils that pierce other veils based on color logic, and resist detection checks based on some other table thing, so that the ultimate veilmaster will have to buy like six of them!"

On the contrary, IRE's problem is somewhat like EA realizing their latest game is horrible and makes them look bad, so they can pull it off the shelves, literally refund all players for it, or do nothing. Sure, IRE has more options (like rebalancing them), but they also have more problems (if they just stop selling them, a faction could hypothetically end up with a huge veil advantage over another faction).

Aside from being a desirable source of income, the more people that buy them, the more difficult it is to do anything about it.

• edited August 2014

I said this before, but I think that yes, if they just stopped selling veils, the problem would work itself out.  The only concern is the interim, really, which you don't want to be too horribly miserable.  If things did start to get really bad, though, it would open the door wide for admin to modify them, especially if there were a huge and obvious imbalance in which groups had access to veils (and eventually, I do think that would almost have to happen).  

The naming and shaming would be loud and constant from the groups who had less or no access to veils due to having fewer active legacy veil owners.  That alone would tend to browbeat people into using the veils less in certain group situations, and for those that persisted, admin would have the backing they needed to modify existing veils to make things less one sided (because veil owners would be an ever diminishing minority).

It's also possible that people would scream for the return of this ridiculously expensive "7 minute abs" artefact, but you know, maybe not.  

• Veils are a prestige artefact. If you don't have one, you're just a whiny poor person.

• Maybe, but I think a fleet is the real Prestige Artefact.  

• Jules. Please don't repost photos of Dunn and I off my facebook page. The rest of the community does not need to know what we get up to on lake Ontario.
  • re: neutral class with this, they could rework ether disrupt or whatever it is that alchemists have to do this and to hell with Eleusis. Or grove grounding or whatever that useless ability is that roots you to the ground could do it too and be evoked from staff (druids only coz sylvans OP)

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Jules said:

Maybe, but I think a fleet is the real Prestige Artefact.  

omg

ID#  Ship Name                                 Ship Alias       Ship Captain
    ---  ----------------------------------------  -----------
    Number of ships found: 21.

Does this mean I'm finally Someone(TM)?!

• Soooo, erm, which one is you and which is Dunn?  Which one of you is in the bikini?

• Jules said:

Noooo, don't summon Strata.  Now that you've done it, he'd better at least say something funny.  And that Seftin guy.  All I really know is that Aurora called him a dirty classhopper.  

But yeah, I think people buy the veil even if they hate the idea behind it, because the veil can still be purchased, and because they feel it's necessary to play the game at the level they want to play it at (and it probably is).  So, they can either say "but I hate veils, I will not buy one no matter what", or, they can buy the veil and not be the one guy in a group situation who doesn't have one (yay, now we know where the group is) or just easily ganked when alone, etc... The veil exists and is something of a norm in those cirlces, so a whole world of mechanics and player mores exist around the veil.  

Maybe they should look at removing the RNG with veils.

• edited August 2014

gdi, Trey, I didn't want to do this on the forums, but I guess I don't really have a choice.  

(Trey selfie)

Also wow, somehow Vanilla Forums got even worse.

• Jules said:

gdi, Trey, I didn't want to do this on the forums, but I guess I don't really have a choice.  

(Jules selfie)

FTFY

• Nim said:
    Don't like it? Don't buy it. There's a reason they keep veils around - you people keep buying them!

But this is not capitalism. It's game design.

• Jovolo said:

Implying vaehl scripted anything remotely complex

Major props to admin for the reversal. It says a lot when you can admit to a mistake and rectify it, even if it might lose you revenue. Impressed :)

well did they refund cash or just credits, because if it's credit that's not loss of revenue