Talisman of Binding

Talisman of Binding - 1000cr
-------------------
This talisman invests the power to lay a powerful room effect, preventing most forms of magical 
transport in and out of the room that is enacted in. This item's power is finite, with every 10 
seconds of effect costing 5% of its charge. When it is depleted, you'll have to wait for it to 
recharge. You can check the item's charge level at any time by probing it.

Not to sound bitchy or anything, because I loooove my shiny new Talisman of Binding, and all of it's Jhui-nerfing slendor, but why does it stop ALL of Targossas' travel abilities, and NONE of Ashtan's?  It also doesn't stop Flagon, which is half of the reason I bought it.  It also doesn't seem to be stopping virtually anything, including earrings, from traveling INTO the room, contrary to the description (bolded).

Probably should have asked Tecton to test it before I bought it, but I'm guessing they didn't think of the flagon.

Things it doesn't stop that it probably should:  (keep in mind, it doesn't last very long, and can only be used once in a long while)

Flagon
Uni
Pathfinder
Duanathar
Gare?
Warp
Convocation
Raido

Not sure why Deliverance and Pilg got hit, but none of its equivalents did.  Just saying, should be fair across the board.  I like that it stops deliverance, but it should also stop Uni/Pathfinder.  What's the point of stopping Lame Insta-Travel Ability 'A' if everyone can still use 'B'?  It REALLY needs to stop Uni.

Comments

• It might be a bug if it's brand new, unless it lists what it's supposed to block somewhere I don't see. It would be pretty good to have a concrete list of what it is meant and is not meant to block before commenting on balance. Maybe Tecton will give you a refund if you thought it blocked X and bought it for that reason and it doesn't.

i'm a rebel

• well I mean if it ONLY stopped earring and uni/pathfinder/deliver, I'd be ecstatic.  My impression was that it would basically stop "lame crap" for a few seconds.  It doesn't.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited August 2014
    When things typically make absolutely no sense, It's usually a bug.

If it's not a bug then it's one of those facepalm moments, which means it's still likely a bug.

But at the same time not sure if it actually should block universe, Since it's more of a dunathar/warp type ability in how it's setup.
    On the other hand not even sure why pathfinder isn't stoped by monolith.

• I am definitely assuming the bit about not preventing earring travel into the room is a bug, but I'm not so sure about uni/pathfinder.  Even the slightest bit of testing would have caught that.

Seems more just like bad balancing to me.

• On a sidenote, we should probably just nerf flagon anyways. It's unstoppable once it's started, though it can only be used 1/IG month. I never use it for real fighting because it's too troll, just for troll things like turn flagon -> track into guards alone.

• Do you have a list of what it DOES stop so far?

(pathfinder is affected by gravehands/piety, so can potentially see why it was left off.  universe requires a pre-meditated fling, so that could be why.  Not saying whether I agree or not, just that they may not fall in line with the other abilities once you list them)

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

warp is situational, and warps are easily cancelled with alts and noobs. wings are stopped by physical hinders.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Ring of flying is magical movement.

• it isn't supposed to stop movement, it's supposed to stop fast travel.  Obviously?

@Jhui I'm working on that list.

• @ernam A few of us asked questions last night to find out after it was released. Here's what has been answered so far.

Warps : No
    Wings : Yes
    Earrings : Yes
    Hermit : Yes
    Pathfinder : No
    Universe : No

• When we tested, it didn't stop Duanathar, and it didn't stop ANY of those things into the room, which I believe is a bug.

• And it stops pilgrimage and deliverance? Kinda huge fuck you to Targ...

• edited August 2014

Talisman of BINDING. Why would it stop entrances of a magical nature? Seems like the idea is to prevent escaping so easily.

Ignore me, I didn't see the descriptive text. It does say it stops magical entrances, it should respect that.

• To be honest, I'm not really a fan of it at all and I barely have any of the things affected.

• Asking people to pay a thousand credits to solve a game mechanic problem is pretty hilarious. There have been many ideas put forth on solving this issue, and to fall back on "lets make them pay 200 more credits to stop it for like.. a minute" makes me rethink investing in achaea (aside from loans i need to pay back)

• Bandaid fix at best. Real expensive bandaid fix.

• edited August 2014

I'd be more comfortable with my $300 bandaid fix, if it worked.

• Santar said:

Imagine you're the one trying to escape. You can't do anything to really anticipate in advance whether someone is going to come into your room and activate a talisman of binding. There's no preparation or anticipation here. It's just, if they binding, I die. Now look at this from the point of view of the people dealing with the person trying to escape. You've basically been told by the administration now, "This is never going to change. If you want to have any chance at taking part in the basics of group combat, spend 1000 credits."

The simplest solution to the problem was to just deliver a small nerf to earrings. Change the requirements around slightly on when you can earring. Make them stopped by the traditional hindering effects like piety/gravehands/tentacles/pinshot/homunculus/wildgrowth/etc. Those are things every group in Achaea can use. You could even have earrings stopped by those things at a reduced rate, and it'd still be a pretty good change.

And, finally, isn't artie-inflation something Achaea should be trying to get away from after all these years? Mechanics like these just dig a deeper hole and create a game atmosphere that people aren't going to enjoy playing.

Preach

• Just to put these misconceptions to rest:

It stops, and has since release:

- Pathfinder
    - Universe
    - Pilgrimage
    - Earrings
    - Puppet/vodun travel
    - Hermit
    - Entering portals

It now will additionally stop:

- Gare
    - Raido
    - Angel/demon refuge
    - Flow
    - Mind travel

Sorry, missed a few there, but the ones mentioned previously definitely worked and always have. It was a typo on our end re: blocking movement into the room (its just leaving). If you bought it for that reason, best contact artefacts@achaea.com and they'll sort something out with you.

• @Makarios So wait, it's not going to stop wings? We were told last night it would.

• gotta admit this is a pretty game-changing artefact in the wrong direction for all of Santar's reasons.  And I'm all about some new arties, especially OP ones.

Now, if this were placed into a class skill of a neutral class that is lacking at the moment, it would be an incredibly awesome counter for everyone to have and expect.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    I agree with everything @Santar‌ said except the nerf earrings part. I like being op.

• Well hot damn.

• I think this artefact might still be worth the cost, if it were to stop earrings and nothing else. Earrings are obnoxious in what they currently do and function better than most class-based escape skills.

Or like Santar mentioned, nerf/fix earrings instead.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Think Tecton and Sarapis are trying to win back some vacation money they'll be losing with these arties.