Shaman Changes when are they coming?

I remember from the previously classlead, most shaman ideas were rejected because it was mentioned that there were already plans to tweak shaman class. Soo...it's been too long already...

Comments

• VayneVayne Rhode Island

Class leads come out in alphabetical order and they just released priest changes. So, Runewarden is next, then Sentinel, Serpent, Shaman, and finally Sylvan.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Shamans are almost always last because of our place in the alphabet as Vayen mentioned. Because we have shared class abilities with Jester (puppetry/vodun) and Runewarden (runelore), by the time they get to us, they've already worked on two of our three class skills and the changes made are usually targetted and/or for flavor. I'm anxiously awaiting the tweaks promised in the last round of class leads though too -- the class has already changed so much from when it was first introduced that I just hope any flavor changes aren't too dramatic or inhibiting to anyone's roleplay. My character was devastated by the changes to Wytchen and Limorasi in Imperian and ended up having to switch class and now I rarely play her. :(

• We have to wait a little bit more. Thanks for enlightening me.

As for the changes, I do hope they replace runelore (just kidding :D )

• Tecton said:

We're planning a larger-scale rework for the Shaman class, giving it some more unique tools and really delving into the unique nature and RP of the class. Stay tuned!

OMG I just effing gasped.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014

Tecton said:

We're planning a larger-scale rework for the Shaman class, giving it some more unique tools and really delving into the unique nature and RP of the class. Stay tuned!

Well, that's a little scary to hear! I really dislike the shamanic classes in the other IRE games - hexes, summoning fae, ritual markings and bone dust make those classes some of the most difficult to play from a PvP standpoint and the most limiting RP-wise.

I also hope that doesn't mean Achaea is planning to factionalize the class. I mean the "unique nature and RP of the class" has never really been defined in-game before, which is one of the things that makes it so appealing to many people. You can be anything from a helpful medicine woman to a necromanctic witchdoctor.

I'm very worried now - not sure if I should invest anymore time or credits on Bluef IC until I know how this is going to shake out. I might have to re-do her entire wardrobe, artefact cache, and persona. Tecton, why are you skeering me like this?  :(

• I honestly don't want to lose Vodun, which it sounds like we are, although I suppose if it's replaced by something equally as cool I can live with it and just sob about it play a jester alt.

(╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Damn Vodun being too cool.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Achimrst said:

I honestly don't want to lose Vodun, which it sounds like we are, although I suppose if it's replaced by something equally as cool I can live with it and just sob about it play a jester alt.

Vodun is the skillset that makes this shamanic class different than those in other IRE games. I mean, I already went through the gutting of the Wytchen Guild in Imperian and watched their Vodun get turned into "Shamanism," which is the equivalent of its practitioners all being some kind of demonic sect of necromancers, I don't think I can watch another class I love to play (and have invested heavily in) get deconstructed into something completely foreign that way. Bleh. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but my past experiences in Imperian are really coloring my perspective on these upcoming changes. 

• Bluef said:
    Achimrst said:

I honestly don't want to lose Vodun, which it sounds like we are, although I suppose if it's replaced by something equally as cool I can live with it and just sob about it play a jester alt.

Vodun is the skillset that makes this shamanic class different than those in other IRE games. I mean, I already went through the gutting of the Wytchen Guild in Imperian and watched their Vodun get turned into "Shamanism," which is the equivalent of its practitioners all being some kind of demonic sect of necromancers, I don't think I can watch another class I love to play (and have invested heavily in) get deconstructed into something completely foreign that way. Bleh. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but my past experiences in Imperian are really coloring my perspective on these upcoming changes. 

idk, I guess we will see! I would love some freaking shamanism though, not sure about necromancy crap. Although any change is better than none to make us a better class overall IMO. Should be fun to see what happens!

• I share your fears @Bluef but at the same time I have a twisted amount of excitement in hoping the changes will be good.

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • Dastan said:

We have to wait a little bit more. Thanks for enlightening me.

As for the changes, I do hope they replace runelore (just kidding :D )

I would just like to add to this comment, I'm not freaking kidding! Killz it!!!

• better for who, us old time shamans or better for the new generation that will crop up?

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Alaric said:

better for who, us old time shamans or better for the new generation that will crop up?

Exactly, Alaric. In Imperian there were something like 11 testers who "tried out" the new shamanism skillset. Only 3 of them had played the class before or were going to be playing it afterward. They were asked to ensure it was balanced and they did a pretty good job, but with so many of the testers not having a lick of RP-investment in the class there wasn't that much input from the existing playerbase. As a result, the mandatory change from Vodun --> Shamanism was quite brutal.

People who had been playing since the game (and Wytchen Guild's) inception were hit hard by the fact that they were suddenly forced to become demonic/necromantic practitioners. I lost a lot of friends in the tumult because they simply stopped playing Imperian. A few of them came here to Achaea to play shaman. I really hope IRE doesn't do something like this to them (and me) twice. 

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen

Just give Shaman oblit.

/sarcasm

Shaman will be better off altogether with whatever Makaribro comes up with. Breathe and shit people.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Daslin said:

Just give Shaman oblit.

/sarcasm

Shaman will be better off altogether with whatever Makaribro comes up with. Breathe and shit people.

I'm sure Marakios knows what he's doing skillwise, but the class will be better off in what way? I'm not concerned with its PvP capabilities. I'm concerned about its RP potential. Turning it into a bone dust throwing, rune stone tossing buckawn witchdoctor wanna-being class that is affiliated with darkness, evil, or the like could deconstruct nearly 400 IC years of founder-inspired class neutrality.

• For the record, I am a bit concerned for the PvP capabilities, although I am sure Makaros can make a PvP capable shaman class so I'm leaning toward Bluef on this.

• TraelorTraelor Columbia, SC

I'd hate to see Shaman relegated to a Dark class like Bluef described. I've always like how they sat in a very neutral place and the player could decide where they go next. The current view of them by Targossas is sad to me because there is a lot of potential in the class. To me, a wise Shaman gives me thoughts of everything from a dark necromancer to a benevolent Native tribal Chief.

Traelor - Saving the day since 594

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Bluef said:
    Daslin said:

Just give Shaman oblit.

/sarcasm

I'm sure Marakios knows what he's doing skillwise, but the class will be better off in what way? I'm not concerned with its PvP capabilities. I'm concerned about its RP potential. Turning it into a bone dust throwing, rune stone tossing buckawn witchdoctor wanna-being class that is affiliated with darkness, evil, or the like could deconstruct nearly 400 IC years of founder-inspired class neutrality.

If there are any particular RP aspects you want to have considered, feel free to drop me an email with the details and I'll look them over!

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited August 2014

Tecton said:
    Bluef said:
    Daslin said:

Just give Shaman oblit.

/sarcasm

If there are any particular RP aspects you want to have considered, feel free to drop me an email with the details and I'll look them over!

I have emailed you enough for a lifetime, @Bluef, you're our only hope!

DOOOOOOZ IT!!!

• Achimrst said:

Tecton said:
    Bluef said:
    Daslin said:

Just give Shaman oblit.

/sarcasm

I have emailed you enough for a lifetime, @Bluef, you're our only hope!

DOOOOOOZ IT!!!

Sent! I'm so very thankful that Firefox shared so much of the Shamans history with me when I was Prophet of the Fortress. I just knew this stuff would come in handy some day. :)

• KayeilKayeil Washington State

Please don't factionalize the class. A lot of us long-time shamans are rogues, or in other factions and we are happy where we're at. I love all three of our class skills. They could use some tweaking, but I don't want to become a Dark class, or become nature based like the shamans of Aetolia. Sure we could use our own flavour of runelore that benefits us since a lot  of the skills are more runewarden focused, and vodun needs to be fixed a bit, but otherwise it's a great class, and I'm not too keen on the idea of being forced an RP change. If it's too much I may just end up without a class, because I don't really have a desire to try the other ones out.

What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• I would have said that shaman's minimal numbers might have it up for a huge overhaul, but after seeing Tectons latest class breakdown, I'd say you're safe from factionalization. You've got the lowest non-factionalized numbers, but you really aren't that much lower than the other classes. You might get some sweeping changes, but I doubt they'll push you away from one faction or towards another.

• Make Shamans allowed in Targossas, kthx.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Talysin said:

Make Shamans allowed in Targossas, kthx.

I'm pretty sure that was Targossas's decision

• Shady Shaman-hating Shenanigans!!

Cahin said:
  • REVOLT!!!

• Not to make this all about me, but I hope this also comes with a big change for Jesters!

• Make Devil always throw Aeon plz kthx

• I think @Kaie is hoping the same thing. We were just talking about how impossible it is to deal with certain classes when you have to stand in a room and fashion, fashion, fashion last night.