What Happened To You Today?

Comments

•              
  • Sarapis said:
    Klendathu said:

On an unrelated note, I would just like to say how lovely Sarapis' cowl is looking today. Not that it doesn't look lovely every day, it's just looking extra specially lovely today. And Makarios' too. Hair, cowl, shrubhammer, w/e.
    I'm using a new brand of detergent to wash it these days, involving certain essential oils squeezed from a certain type of shrubbery. Thanks for noticing!
    Do they call it, "Rustle"?
  • edited April 2017
    Is that really an achievement with lvl 3's of everything and a cape? You know, just saying ;)

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Aegoth said:
    Dochitha said:

A small pile of sovereigns spills from the corpse.

YES!
    NO :'(
    You are observant! I hit gold cap chasing after the level up!
  • Umm a massive gold generation bug that has been around, and reported, for a year? That isn't a failure on the players' parts...
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Austere said:
    Nazihk said:
    Aegoth said:
    You can't just shrug and say "WELP IT'S OVER NOW, LET'S MOVE ON!" because this massively affected the in game economy to a huge degree. Hundreds of millions of gold, Klen... that's not something that just "diminishes over time". The fact that the punishments basically amount to nothing is extremely worrisome, considering the scope of this abuse.
    The scope of the abuse is why the punishment can't be harsher. If you drop too heavy a hammer on a large percentage of your playerbase, they'll just quit. If enough people have been doing it, that can be a crippling blow to the game, because shrubbing/banning n players can result in you losing 3n players after their friends quit and friends of those friends quit and so on and so forth. 

There is absolutely no good way to handle a bug of this size and magnitude. Honestly, I'd probably just throw a good sized lump of bound credits at the people who didn't abuse it and call it a day. Slap the fuckups on the wrist, reward everybody else, call it a day. 
    I'm not sure establishing this precedence for future abuse is the best idea either. Now, we all know that all we have to do to avoid scrubbing with bugs is just to involve enough people that any sort of realistic punishment is unfeasible. I'm not saying I think those involved should get permanent ip bans, but I think that this is really going to make it difficult to establish what is "fair" in the future as far as cheating punishment goes. I'd hope to see further action taken, preferably in line with previous cases of abuse, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.
    Take the biggest abusers (longest users of it - or just highest amount) and shrub them and their alts for 3 months.  Shrub the others for one month. If people could REASONABLY be seen as not knowing, dock them credibility for a bit (it comes back).

I honestly think it's bullshit to not punish them because of the scope.  In the end, I know it's a business, but the integrity of the community should be close to 'as important' as the bottom line.

• Caelan said:
    Austere said:
    Nazihk said:
    Aegoth said:
    You can't just shrug and say "WELP IT'S OVER NOW, LET'S MOVE ON!" because this massively affected the in game economy to a huge degree. Hundreds of millions of gold, Klen... that's not something that just "diminishes over time". The fact that the punishments basically amount to nothing is extremely worrisome, considering the scope of this abuse.
    The scope of the abuse is why the punishment can't be harsher. If you drop too heavy a hammer on a large percentage of your playerbase, they'll just quit. If enough people have been doing it, that can be a crippling blow to the game, because shrubbing/banning n players can result in you losing 3n players after their friends quit and friends of those friends quit and so on and so forth. 

There is absolutely no good way to handle a bug of this size and magnitude. Honestly, I'd probably just throw a good sized lump of bound credits at the people who didn't abuse it and call it a day. Slap the fuckups on the wrist, reward everybody else, call it a day. 
    I'm not sure establishing this precedence for future abuse is the best idea either. Now, we all know that all we have to do to avoid scrubbing with bugs is just to involve enough people that any sort of realistic punishment is unfeasible. I'm not saying I think those involved should get permanent ip bans, but I think that this is really going to make it difficult to establish what is "fair" in the future as far as cheating punishment goes. I'd hope to see further action taken, preferably in line with previous cases of abuse, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.
    Take the biggest abusers (longest users of it - or just highest amount) and shrub them and their alts for 3 months.  Shrub the others for one month. If people could REASONABLY be seen as not knowing, dock them credibility for a bit (it comes back).

I honestly think it's bullshit to not punish them because of the scope.  In the end, I know it's a business, but the integrity of the community should be close to 'as important' as the bottom line.
    You're a bit behind. People have been shrubbed. Investigating something of this scale just takes time.
  • Sarapis said:
    Antidas said:
    Before everyone gets -too- up in arms about this, I would love to hear from @Nicola @Makarios regarding whether or not they feel this bug really is the culprit for our massively high CFS prices or not.
    They certainly contributed, but insofar as market pricing involves psychology it's impossible to 'prove' what percentage of the increase (somewhere between 0% and 100%) this was responsible for. We've said all along that there's no question gold supply is the major problem with CFS prices rising, and this just reinforces that fairly obvious truth.

As for punishments, everybody calm the fuck down. The Achaea team spent a very long day trying to unwind just the gold from yesterday's bug abuse (40 million gold went into the system yesterday just from bullshit ship trades) which is necessarily an entirely manual process. Doing that and stopping the abuse was a lot more important than shrubbing some people who could no longer cause further damage. Then they went to sleep, because they're not expected to work 24 hours a day, believe it or not. The work of rectifying this is far from over.

THERE'S the old Sarapis! Nice!

(And to add to my previous.. I don't think anyone thought this was "over".   I just couldn't believe some people were saying to let it go with a slap.  )

• Antonius said:

You're a bit behind. People have been shrubbed. Investigating something of this scale just takes time.
    I guess I am.  Have been at work and just popping into forums to check new posts while drives are imaging.  Also, see the addendum to my last.  Pretty obvious it will take time to manually sort gold logs and a year's worth of bug abuse.

• Achaean SEC 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • All I'm going to say on this topic is the extremely problematic bug in question isn't the one most people seem to be assuming it was. As the announce post stated, this wasn't a single bug, it was a combination deal. A player actually did bring it to our attention which is what prompted us to look into it yesterday.
  • Makarios said:
    All I'm going to say on this topic is the extremely problematic bug in question isn't the one most people seem to be assuming it was. As the announce post stated, this wasn't a single bug, it was a combination deal. A player actually did bring it to our attention which is what prompted us to look into it yesterday.
    As long as this gets the gold cap removed!
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Inb4 gold cap gets applied to all non-player sources of gold generation.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Either way, the MTC got singled out for this and shrubbed when it was obvious there were PLENTY of other people doing the -exact- same thing. I love how one second they can say you're not getting shrubbed because it was a mistake, then decided yea.. we're just going to shrub these few to make a point. Like I said before, I came back and thought he trades had become epic... now I get shrubbed for it.
  • Out of curiosity, what was the travel time bug?

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • edited April 2017
    Byakko said:
    Either way, the MTC got singled out for this and shrubbed when it was obvious there were PLENTY of other people doing the -exact- same thing. I love how one second they can say you're not getting shrubbed because it was a mistake, then decided yea.. we're just going to shrub these few to make a point. Like I said before, I came back and thought he trades had become epic... now I get shrubbed for it.
    Just saying that if all this shit was a bug, it would have been nice to fucking know ahead of time.. Seems homeport was a bug.. and aaall this other crap that everyone was using the same way was a bug.. and figureheads were a bug... so many bugs and aaaalll of a sudden it's wrong? Something seems off, and I am not the only one to think so...
  • I think they mean using homeport between harbours. I don't think that's an obvious bug. Seemed to me a reasonable use of the power given that doing it has a high time or gold or credit cost. 
  • Shouldn't the large majority of this be in rants?

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Laedha said:
    I think they mean using homeport between harbours. I don't think that's an obvious bug. Seemed to me a reasonable use of the power given that doing it has a high time or gold or credit cost. 
    It was never meant to be what that was. If you read the announce post for it, it even states that it's not a fast travel ability. It's designed as an emergency escape from a mechanic that generally takes hours to get out of. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    Byakko said:
    Byakko said:
    Either way, the MTC got singled out for this and shrubbed when it was obvious there were PLENTY of other people doing the -exact- same thing. I love how one second they can say you're not getting shrubbed because it was a mistake, then decided yea.. we're just going to shrub these few to make a point. Like I said before, I came back and thought he trades had become epic... now I get shrubbed for it.
    Just saying that if all this shit was a bug, it would have been nice to fucking know ahead of time.. Seems homeport was a bug.. and aaall this other crap that everyone was using the same way was a bug.. and figureheads were a bug... so many bugs and aaaalll of a sudden it's wrong? Something seems off, and I am not the only one to think so...
    Something is definitely off.  But I don't think it's what you think it is.

I'm not entirely certain what you think you're going to accomplish here, but you're certainly not going to get sympathies from the people that deal with CFS being what it is because you and others decided abusing a bug was cool and devalued gold, essentially devaluing every OTHER person's time that didn't do the same.  If you're looking for a good way to contact the staff and plead your case, they definitely have a more direct and less soapboxy way of doing so via email or self-issues.

• The way I thought personal trades worked when I started seafaring was the captain accepted, did the trade and got stuff, and then got 3 people who wanted to help them complete the trade if they had 3 trades worth of stuff :/

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates