What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• You can't just shrug and say "WELP IT'S OVER NOW, LET'S MOVE ON!" because this massively affected the in game economy to a huge degree. Hundreds of millions of gold, Klen... that's not something that just "diminishes over time". The fact that the punishments basically amount to nothing is extremely worrisome, considering the scope of this abuse.
  • Klendathu said:
    TBH, I think the people who exploited the bug got away with it lightly. However, now it's stopped, we can just move on. No-one other than the people exploiting the bug know who they are. If the gold faucet has been turned off, the effects will diminish over time.
    The effects will diminish, but are still there and still affected the non-abusers. That isn't okay. We should not have to deal with the repercussions of bug abuse by other players.

They got their gold/credits taken away from the last 24 hours, but the non-abusers still paid higher prices on credits due to the fake inflation. So effectively the non-abusers got punished harder than the abusers did - we came out with less than what we started with, and they came out with what they started with.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Klendathu said:
     No-one other than the people exploiting the bug know who they are.
    Oh I dunno about that. there was some people silly enough to ask 'hey what happened to all the gold in my strongbox' before reading the news.

• Atalkez said:
    Losing one day of profitability out of an entire year of this bug being in place seems inconceivably tiny.

Im with Cooper on this one. There are tons of us who have had to deal with our gold generation being throttled to very minimal levels. Penwize went dormant because of it. We saw credit prices skyrocketing, the entire time we were complaining about lessons being the issue because of multiclass. Sounds like there was an even bigger issue being hidden/hiding with ship trades.

So we all got punished by a reduced gold generation model (which I was and am still in favor of), but higher gold was being generated this entire time.

Turns out I could have been making a magnitude more gold and barely have lost anything when the hammer fell. I feel like the punishments here need to be raised significantly or people who weren't involved should have some sort of bonus. 

New players? Understandable, if they've never seen any seafaring related stuff, for them to think it's just part of the system. Every other seafarer that benefited, imo, should be drastically docked either financially, credibility, or outright shrubbed.

People have been punished worse for less.
    I agree with Cooper on this as well.  And I benefitted because I sold some credits on market (obviously I didn't know the prices were artificially inflated by something like this).   I mean, back in the day the very LEAST that would have happened is a shrubbing of an undetermined amount of time across all characters and probably an IP ban for good measure.

This is one of those things that has "sent ripples through the community" and not in good ways.  The punishment in this case, is seriously underwhelming.  These players harmed non-abusers and hurt the game by making people spend more time not interacting and instead more time bashing/trying to generate their own gold (which increased available gold in the economy).   It basically directly countered the aims of the admin to remove gold, and made them consume their time on "new gold sinks" instead of deepening the game as a whole.

• So a question for those who know how the Achaea market stuff works, does this mean things will actually be affordable again

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Aralaya said:
    So a question for those who know how the Achaea market stuff works, does this mean things will actually be affordable again
    No, because the vast majority of the illegitimate gold is still there.
  • Eventually once all of the gold has drained you'll see a reduction in things. Short term you're actually likely to see an increase because gold just became more scarce than it was.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • So I should wait to buy commodities and the like?
    (I can afford stuff now but would prefer to not spend an Ungodly amount of gold on a few commodities)

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Aegoth said:
    You can't just shrug and say "WELP IT'S OVER NOW, LET'S MOVE ON!" because this massively affected the in game economy to a huge degree. Hundreds of millions of gold, Klen... that's not something that just "diminishes over time". The fact that the punishments basically amount to nothing is extremely worrisome, considering the scope of this abuse.
    The scope of the abuse is why the punishment can't be harsher. If you drop too heavy a hammer on a large percentage of your playerbase, they'll just quit. If enough people have been doing it, that can be a crippling blow to the game, because shrubbing/banning n players can result in you losing 3n players after their friends quit and friends of those friends quit and so on and so forth. 

There is absolutely no good way to handle a bug of this size and magnitude. Honestly, I'd probably just throw a good sized lump of bound credits at the people who didn't abuse it and call it a day. Slap the fuckups on the wrist, reward everybody else, call it a day. 
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Nazihk said:
    Aegoth said:
    You can't just shrug and say "WELP IT'S OVER NOW, LET'S MOVE ON!" because this massively affected the in game economy to a huge degree. Hundreds of millions of gold, Klen... that's not something that just "diminishes over time". The fact that the punishments basically amount to nothing is extremely worrisome, considering the scope of this abuse.
    The scope of the abuse is why the punishment can't be harsher. If you drop too heavy a hammer on a large percentage of your playerbase, they'll just quit. If enough people have been doing it, that can be a crippling blow to the game, because shrubbing/banning n players can result in you losing 3n players after their friends quit and friends of those friends quit and so on and so forth. 

There is absolutely no good way to handle a bug of this size and magnitude. Honestly, I'd probably just throw a good sized lump of bound credits at the people who didn't abuse it and call it a day. Slap the fuckups on the wrist, reward everybody else, call it a day. 
    I'm not sure establishing this precedence for future abuse is the best idea either. Now, we all know that all we have to do to avoid scrubbing with bugs is just to involve enough people that any sort of realistic punishment is unfeasible. I'm not saying I think those involved should get permanent ip bans, but I think that this is really going to make it difficult to establish what is "fair" in the future as far as cheating punishment goes. I'd hope to see further action taken, preferably in line with previous cases of abuse, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.
  • Nazihk said:
    Aegoth said:

This is a totally ridiculous idea. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Before everyone gets -too- up in arms about this, I would love to hear from @Nicola @Makarios regarding whether or not they feel this bug really is the culprit for our massively high CFS prices or not.

• I expect the admins will follow the money trail and investigate unexplained accumulations of wealth. If some players have lined their character's pockets with hundreds of millions of gold sovereigns from this exploit then that wealth has to be removed to ensure the ongoing stability of the game. The detrimental effect on the game economy is one thing, but even more worrying is the resultant loss of credit sales which are needed to fund the operation and development of Achaea.

• Pretty sure there were a couple people that abused it heavily which contributed toward the credit prices. Not to mention I heard about another bug they might have been using to get around sailing times too.  Most did not do any of this near as badly.  I also want to say that trades need to be carefully considered. Comparing them to bashing is not adequate as bashing carries much less risk, requires much less attention, and in some cases far less initial investment.  Even with the good returns in trades I still often did not do them because the thought of sitting there staring at my wilderness map for several hours and then having a decent chance of being pirated at the end and spending more money on raising the ship and more time to finish the trade was not appealing.  Fun to fight the pirates when I wasn't on a cutter but I digress... What's the risk when you hunt? You die and spend some time with ugrach, congrats. All the gold you made is still there.  I'm okay with ship trades being more lucrative than hunting because there is far more that goes into them. However, the amount of gold made by those few individuals is ludicrous and it was absolutely correct to stop that.  But let's not go overboard (pun intended).
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Can we create a separate thread for all this ship trade talk, please? A bit much to sift through...

• Ognog said:
     The detrimental effect on the game economy is one thing, but even more worrying is the resultant loss of credit sales which are needed to fund the operation and development of Achaea.
    Happily, that's probably not the case, directly at least. All the credits on the market have to be bought from us originally, so we don't lose anything in terms of revenue in a direct sense (could be indirect losses from players who decide to be less involved in the game, or not involved at all, due to the high prices though). 
  • I gave you a like for that line on the first go-round.

Just re-checked and saw the Yoda meme. Bro.

Awesome.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • People are wrong with people. Greed does some pretty crazy things to people. Very, very crazy things.

And this is why humanity is boned.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Sweet, sweet Justice.